PDA

View Full Version : Ed Smith??

little willie
10-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Has anyone heard from Ed Smith lately?

I know that he was experiencing some serious health issues and I sent him a couple of PMs checking up on him, but I've not gotten a reply.

I learned a whole lot from his posts and really hope that he is just busy.

little willie

Pooch
10-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Has anyone heard from Ed Smith lately?

I know that he was experiencing some serious health issues and I sent him a couple of PMs checking up on him, but I've not gotten a reply.

I learned a whole lot from his posts and really hope that he is just busy.

little willie

You may find him over at Cast Bullet Association Forum.

little willie
10-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Pooch,

Thanks, never been to that site before, it looks interesting.

Does he use the same screen name?

little willie

Pooch
10-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Pooch,

Thanks, never been to that site before, it looks interesting.

Does he use the same screen name?

little willie

Yes he does.

little willie
10-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Pooch,

Thanks again,

little williw

DukeInFlorida
10-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Ed is local to me, and I have been to his house, and have his number.
I'll try calling him.
I'm not able to travel.

little willie
10-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Duke,

Thanks, I'd be thankful if you would.

PM is on the way to you.

little willie

DukeInFlorida
10-20-2012, 08:18 PM
I got your email.
I called and left a message at Ed's Standish, Maine home. He's never been really good about returning calls. I also have his cell phone number, and will try that in a day or two. He's close enough to me that if I were able to get in a car myself, I'd drive over. However, my cancer surgery prevents me from trying. I;m just home from the hospital.

Ed's a good and generous guy. I'll keep trying.

Rick459
10-20-2012, 11:35 PM
hope you get better soon Duke
Rick

little willie
10-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Duke,

Thanks for all of your efforts and trouble, I too wish you a speedy and thorough recovery.

little willie

jmsj
10-21-2012, 11:45 PM
little willie,
Please keep us posted. Ed has been a great help to me also.

Duke,
I hope you heal up soon.
jmsj

DukeInFlorida
10-22-2012, 06:14 AM
Monday Oct 22nd. 5:58 PM EST. Just called and left another message.

So, I've called and left three messages now on his home phone. When I tried calling his cell phone, the cell phone company gave a message that his cell phone wasn't accepting calls at this time. Hum?

Ed only lives a mere ten minutes from here, and it's frustrating to me that I can't just hop in the car (because of the recent cancer surgery), and go ring his doorbell.

I could either call the sherrif dept, and ask them to look in on him. Or, send some mail off to his home, asking him to call me.

Last time I talked with him was last Spring, and both he and his wife were ailing. I sure hate the intrusive thought of sending the police there to check. I have to start radiation treatments on Wednesday. Maybe I'll get my daughter to bring me by, and send her up to the door to knock.

I'll report back as I get information.

PS Ed does have an active HAM radio license. If anyone wanted to try that way, I could get you his call signal. No idea if he's active or what frequencies he buzzes on.

little willie
10-23-2012, 03:59 AM
I too am a ham and I just posted an inquiry to a ham radio group that I belong to.

I will let you folks know what I hear.

little willie

Pooch
10-24-2012, 03:14 PM
I too am a ham and I just posted an inquiry to a ham radio group that I belong to.

I will let you folks know what I hear.

little willie

I owe you an apology. I thought you were talking about Ed Harris. Sorry.

plmitch
11-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Any word from Ed? I sent a couple of emails awhile ago but got no reply.

little willie
11-01-2012, 10:26 PM
plmitch,

I posted a message on the ham radio group and got a couple of replies, basically no one has heard from him for quite a while.

I contacted a realtor that had a house across the street listed. I explained my concern and asked if they could check on his situation for me.

I've not heard back yet.

little willie

DukeInFlorida
11-03-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm still not able to drive, but find that I might have to drive myself to radiation treatment on Monday. JUst no one else around to offer a ride. So, I will swing by Ed's place, and see if he answers the door.

The real estate agent idea was brilliant, btw.

jmsj
11-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Duke,
I hope your treatment goes well for you. I have had many friends and relatives have to go through radiation treatment and know it is a tough go.
Thanks for checking up on Ed. I having been hoping all is OK with him.
Thanks, jmsj

little willie
11-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Duke,

I too hope that your treatment goes well.

Also, thanks for sharing our interest in Ed.

little willie

WILCO
11-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Duke,

I too hope that your treatment goes well.

Also, thanks for sharing our interest in Ed.

little willie

Ditto!

DukeInFlorida
11-06-2012, 07:10 AM
I have some time after radiation treatment today, and will attempt to drop by Ed's place. I'll report back later.

little willie
11-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks Duke, and best wishes during your treatment,

little willie

DukeInFlorida
11-06-2012, 03:11 PM
So, I just got back from stopping at Ed's house.
When I arrived, there were no cars in his driveway.

However, the yard looks neat, cut, and raked of leaves. I was happy to hear the yipping of Ed's two small lapdogs yipping when I knocked on his door.

There was no answer to my knocking, I gave it a good ten minutes of knocking effort. There is a sign in his door window asking to not disturb them from 4-7 PM (We are resting). Logically, I would take all the signs to mean that they are off somewhere, probably most every day, for some sort of medical treatments.

I printed off a copy of this thread, plus a copy of the PM from Butch (Little Willy), and left that in his door, along with a brief message, giving him my number, telling him that his friends are missing him, and to give me a call.

Hope he calls. Not much more I can do from this end. Glad I only live ten or so minutes away.

little willie
11-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks so much Duke, let's hope that he gets back with you and the rest of us soon.

little willie

Bulldogger
11-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Positive signs, that's good. Ed is a respected member of several forums. I'll go post this news on another where we're all wondering too.

Thanks Duke, from all of us.

BDGR

plmitch
11-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Thanks Duke.

jmsj
11-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Duke,
Thanks for making the effort. I know that your treatment must make you feel cruddy.
I'll keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers.
Thanks again, jmsj

Woodtroll
11-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Anyone know how this turned out?

plmitch
11-21-2012, 12:51 AM
No, not yet, hope all is well with him.

little willie
11-21-2012, 11:21 AM
The realtor never got back with me either, but that doesn't surprise me too much. Lets hope that Ed makes contact with Dule.

little willie

DukeInFlorida
01-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Good News!
Persistence!

I drove by Ed's place again this afternoon, and knocked on the door.
I was delighted to see Ed answering the door!

So, he's been having some medical issues (we traded war stories about that), and has been very much just keeping to himself, like a hermit.

I mentioned that his friends here have been missing him, and hoping for the best for him. He seemed to be happy to hear that.
I suggested that he log in, and say hello in person, and he said that he would try to find the energy to log in and say hello personally.

He looked fine to me, and hope that his medical stuff clears up. His wife is currently feeling ill, and he takes good care of her.
I offered to pick him up and bring him to my place for some casting if he feels up to it some day. He has my number. I hope he calls, and isn't such a stranger.

So, all seems well.

Woodtroll
01-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Good news, indeed! Thanks for the update, and best of luck with your own recovery!

WILCO
01-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Good news, indeed! Thanks for the update, and best of luck with your own recovery!

Ditto for me.

little willie
01-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Duke,

THANK YOU so much, that is truly great news.

I hope that he does drop in and says Hi on "His Thread".

Although I've never met or spoke to him, I really have missed him on here.

Thanks again,

little willie

DukeInFlorida
01-11-2013, 08:42 PM
The only thing that I thought to do, but didn't dare to ask was (thought that it would be too intrusive) to use my cell phone to take a picture of Ed, and post it here.
He's given up smoking, and looks good. Some people gain a lot of weight when they quit smoking. Ed's lost some weight, a lot of it, but still looks great.
Hoping we see more of him here.

Bulldogger
01-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Thanks Duke. I will share the news with another forum where we enjoy(ed) his company and input. They will also be glad of it.
Bulldogger

Cane_man
04-19-2013, 01:05 PM
any Ed sightings?

don't know him and am a nube here but his contributions here were easy to find and extremely helpful...

eljefeoz
04-22-2013, 06:08 AM
any Ed sightings?

don't know him and am a nube here but his contributions here were easy to find and extremely helpful...

+1
Wishing him well

DukeInFlorida
06-20-2015, 01:10 AM
As you know, I recovered from that bout with cancer, and moved to Florida.

I no longer live near Ed.

I got a PM the other day from bstone5, asking if I knew anything.... I don't.

I've done a few Google searches, to no avail. If someone lives in Ed's area, maybe they could call the Standish PD and ask them to go a Good Neighbor Check.

little willie
06-20-2015, 07:59 AM
Duke,

Congrats on you're recovery, that is great news. I've not been around here much, so I did not know that.

I've periodically wondered about you and Ed, but my life has been going in many directions so I haven't spent much time here.

I do hope that someone makes contact with Ed and posts his update here, Ed contributed so much and is greatly missed by some of us.

little willie

DukeInFlorida
06-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Well, actually, my news isn't all the great.
The cancer I have it multiple myeloma, a cancer of the bone marrow. No cure, it always comes back, and has.
I did the radiation treatments a few weeks back, to shrink the big tumor on my spine (avoided the ghastly surgery this time), and am going to start my third week of chemo on Monday. I'm doing these treatments at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL. A mere hour and forty minute drive each way, twice a week. Docs tell me that I am responding well so far, but it'll be a lot like the last bout, a couple years ago.

I have a hard copy of the book I got from Ed. It's good stuff. Thankful for having met him, and being a small part in this effort to see how he's doing.

But, will have to pass the torch to some other investigative agent.

If you are a caster, and need a neat custom (designed for CastBoolits!) mold tapper, I am selling some to raise $$$ for the fuel back and forth to the Clinic:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?279978-Custom-Mold-Tappers-for-Sale