PDA

View Full Version : Custom made Gas Check Makers

melter68
10-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi Guys,

Its about time you know about Custom made Gas Check Makers from GoodSteel,
he has made me 4 Gas check Makers in different calibres, custom made for my cast boolit measurements and not off the shelf standard sizes, custom made for a custom fit.
He also takes into account the thickness of the material you are using to make the Gas Checks.

The check makers are hand held and so theres no need for a loading press, so you can use them anywere and pocket size too.

So why buy a custom Gas Check maker, well here in england checks are hard to obtain cheaply and in the long run they pay for themselfs and you know you have a custom fit to your cast boolit and wont run out too.

The Custom Check Makers are made up of three pieces,

1. The base unit- determins the width of gas check.

2. The cutting rod.

3. The forming rod.

Easy operation

put the base unit on a flat hard surface, insert a aliminium strip in the slot, insert the cutting rod in the hole in the base unit and tap down the cutting rod with a rubber mallet (this will cut the disc and place it ready for forming), next insert the forming rod in the hole in the cutting rod and tap with rubber mallet and your gas check is formed, easy as 1 2 3

The customer service was excellent and the communication was great, i feel a very satisfied customer and will be ordering more gas check makers,

So a big Thank You GoodSteel for all your effort

Price very good for a custom job/shipping, just ask Tim.

I have tryed pat marlin and freechex, but this for me is the bees knees of gas check makers,
why buy when you can recycle ali.

melter68
11-06-2012, 06:09 AM
No replies, thats a shame, i would be intrested in your comments

Teutonius
11-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Hello melter68,
I would not judge the same as hard. Maybe it's because the checkmaker of Goodsteel is nothing new. Check Maker is basically a Freechex II. Charles also manufactures customized tools. Certainly the tools of Goodsteel are also good, without a doubt. It would be interesting to know whether Goodsteel now generally produces Makers, or only on request. The price is certainly an option.
I have 1 tool Freechex II, 2 tools Freechex III, 2 tools Patmarlins. I'm very satisfied.

Have fun while shooting.

Greetings
Teutonius

melter68
11-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Hello melter68,
I would not judge the same as hard. Maybe it's because the checkmaker of Goodsteel is nothing new. Check Maker is basically a Freechex II. Charles also manufactures customized tools. Certainly the tools of Goodsteel are also good, without a doubt. It would be interesting to know whether Goodsteel now generally produces Makers, or only on request. The price is certainly an option.
I have 1 tool Freechex II, 2 tools Freechex III, 2 tools Patmarlins. I'm very satisfied.

Have fun while shooting.

Greetings
Teutonius

Thanks for the answering Teutonius,

If people take time to cast boolits, would it be better to have a custom made check maker to perfectly fit the boolit and not a standard size check maker.
After all why take the time to cast boolits and not finish the job perfect.

I have tryed to get freechex makers and have a pat marlins maker, but when i got it i found i had to buy another loading press to work it, so i machined the ram to fit on my old press.

I was just wondering on the perfection on cast boolit makers in general.

Each to there own and the market is free to the buyer.

My cast makers from GoodSteel have made a big difference to my groups on the target at the range, so it just stands to reason, if you invest you get the results, but i would not spends 1000's of dollars.

cheers chris

Pooch
11-12-2012, 04:56 PM
I am sure that Goodsteel makes a fine tool as I have heard nothing but good about him. I also know that Charlie of Freechex will custom make a checkmaker too. It also goes without saying that Pat Marlin has many satisfied customers. Sounds like, with Goodsteel we have another good vendor to choose from.

Bullet Caster
11-12-2012, 05:59 PM
I just buy them already made, but they're expensive, too expensive for my limited budget. I'd like to know the price of Goodsteel's check maker. I'd have to save for a couple of months before I could purchase a Freechex or Pat Marlin's. I just don't have that kinda cash flow. The ones that Goodsteel makes (from your pics) look like the cat's meow.

I've read many a thread about Pat Marlin's checkmakers and how they make reallly good checks and are press mounted and how the customers are really satisfied. Maybe if I win the lottery. Lol. BC

Love Life
11-12-2012, 07:24 PM
I have had a Goodsteel checkmaker for... well awhile now. I have made several thousand gas checks with it. I used to have a Pat Marlin's Checkmaker, A FreeChex II, and a GoodSteel tool at the same time. I sold the others and kept the GoodSteel.

Here is why:
It produces a custom check for the only gas checked pistol bullet I have.
My form rod is bit different than the one posted. It has a knob on top so you don't have to worry about knocking the punch too far into the die (Freechex didn't and it was a problem for me) using a jig to allow gas checks to fall into a box
I don't need to mount it in a press and it is faster than my Pat Marlins tool was without the worry of shock on my press.

When it is time for another gas check tool I'll be bother Tim again. With that being said all 3 of the tools worked as they were supposed to, and my decision is based off of my preferences and the custom fit of the gas checks.

Pooch
11-16-2012, 06:05 PM
What are Goodsteel's prices??

melter68
11-18-2012, 03:34 PM
fair and resonable, just ask him for a price

Viper225
11-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Looks like we are about a Quart Low on Contact Information for Goodsteel.

Edited: A search for Goodsteel will do the trick. I have an e-mail off to him already. In the post below he states that he does not want his phone number public.

Bob

MBTcustom
11-26-2012, 11:12 AM
PM me, I would rather keep my phone number off public forum.

chip308
01-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Hi guys, new poster here. I am very interested in buying some of these tools but have had no luck so far reaching Tim with a PM. Thanks to the OP for giving me an alternative to the other check makers that are out there. I had been set on Pat Marlin's tools but would have to upgrade my single stage press to use them, and I can't locate Freechex for sale anywhere. These look like just the ticket. If anyone hears from Tim, please tell him that I would like to purchase some tools from him if he is still making them. Thanks for the info.

WVHunter129
01-27-2013, 11:51 PM
I am interested as well. I really need two of these, one for a 30 caliber bullet and one for a 38/357 caliber bullet. If someone could PM me information I would appreciate it. Thanks.

DukeInFlorida
01-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Charlie Darnall' web site is here:
http://www.freechex.net/

Hi guys, new poster here. I am very interested in buying some of these tools but have had no luck so far reaching Tim with a PM. Thanks to the OP for giving me an alternative to the other check makers that are out there. I had been set on Pat Marlin's tools but would have to upgrade my single stage press to use them, and I can't locate Freechex for sale anywhere. These look like just the ticket. If anyone hears from Tim, please tell him that I would like to purchase some tools from him if he is still making them. Thanks for the info.

ckcadavona
03-05-2013, 07:46 PM
+1 for Charlie, I haven't used any other tools but I can't say enough about his customer service. Every time I've had emailed him he's called my within 15 minutes of sending my email.
http://www.freechex.net/

ph4570
03-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Charlie is great with regards to communication and desire to satisfy his customers. His .224 Freechex III tool works fine for me.

PatMarlin
03-05-2013, 09:36 PM
That is great Charlie has time to do phone calls and talk with customers. I would love to do that.

The demand for my products/Checkmaker™ dies with a huge daily amount of emails, shipping, and order processing alone keeps me from the phone. I would get absolutely no production done talking on the phone. Specially this past year being a record in sales.

ph4570
03-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Pat,

I certainly did not mean for my praise of Charlie's communications to reflect poorly upon you. If you took it that way please forgive me as that was by no means my intention. You do all your own machining and it is quite understandable why you do not have spare time for phone calls.

PatMarlin
03-06-2013, 12:28 PM
No worries-

I didn't take it that way. It just would be nice to talk to folks, but it would rob my energy, and I wouldn't be able to anything done. I would be assuming the kickback position in my office chair and cracking a beer. Has my order shipped yet? ...:mrgreen: NO...!