PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Molds 173Gr. Keith...RESULTS...

sargeny1
06-03-2007, 04:39 PM
HI All...The attached pic of target was typical today...this bullet wants wants to shoot...BUT..I am fighting a really rather atrocious trigger on this Ruger Anniversary 357 Magnum...Trigger pull is HEAVY with LOTS of CREEP....the load was new starline cases...cci 550...and 15grains H110...HORRENDOUS ear-splitting CRACK and HEAVY recoil....more importantly..not a speck of lead in either the barrel or the cylinder throats.....HMMM..maybe a POWER Custom hammer and trigger are needed here..????
Pete
http://www.hunt101.com/img/498408-big.JPG (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=498408&c=500&z=1)

Bass Ackward
06-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Pete,

Looks promising. Any idea what you are going to try next?

Before I bought anything I would try a poor man's trigger job. You know how to do that don't you?

dubber123
06-03-2007, 08:12 PM
+1 on the poor mans trigger job. Worked pretty well on the 3 I've tried it on.

sargeny1
06-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Dear Bass Ackward...Yes.. Have tried that already...didn't help much...not for nothing, THIS Ruger has THE worst trigger pull and creep of ANY firearm I have ever owned..the pull is just tooooo HEAVY...I can't hold the sights aligned because of its HEAVY pull and I can't call my shots as I can with the other Rugers I have....gonna do with the Power Custom Hammer and Trigger....
Pete

Texasflyboy
06-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Dear Bass Ackward...Yes.. Have tried that already...didn't help much...not for nothing, THIS Ruger has THE worst trigger pull and creep of ANY firearm I have ever owned..

Years ago on the old FIDO guns network (pre-Internet/WWW board for you youngsters) Ed "C.E." Harris of NRA fame once posted that as a test between S&W and Ruger reliability that he mocked up a mandrel to actuate each trigger on a Ruger and S&W revolver mechanically and set a counter on each pistol. The S&W failed intermittently every 3-4000 cycles.

The Ruger worked 50,000 cycles without fail. The revolver was cleaned every 5,000 cycles and lubed. At the end of the test the action was deal smooth. Ed later made a competition pistol with the revolver and those who shot it claimed it had the smoothest trigger pull on any revolver they had ever tried.

This story stuck in my head for years, and I've always thought of it when folks complain about gritty triggers. One of these days when I am bored...[smilie=1:

Texasflyboy
06-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Dear Bass Ackward...Yes.. Have tried that already...didn't help much...not for nothing, THIS Ruger has THE worst trigger pull and creep of ANY firearm I have ever owned..

Years ago on the old FIDO guns network (pre-Internet/WWW board for you youngsters) Ed "C.E." Harris of NRA fame once posted that as a test between S&W and Ruger reliability that he mocked up a mandrel to actuate each trigger on a Ruger and S&W revolver mechanically and set a counter on each pistol. The S&W failed intermittently every 3-4000 cycles.

The Ruger worked 50,000 cycles without fail. The revolver was cleaned every 5,000 cycles and lubed. At the end of the test the action was dead smooth. Ed later made a competition pistol with the revolver and those who shot it claimed it had the smoothest trigger pull on any revolver they had ever tried.

This story stuck in my head for years, and I've always thought of it when folks complain about gritty triggers. One of these days when I am bored...[smilie=1:

PPpastordon
06-04-2007, 05:14 AM
The most "FUN" trigger job that can be done on a Ruger is hours and hours of dry-firing. Takes time, good practice, and does smooth things up.
Next best is that almost any true gunsmith and many gun handy persons can do a more than competent trigger job on Ruger single actions.
Have fun!