PDA

View Full Version : Best Marlin recoil pad?

FergusonTO35
10-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Hey guys. What is the best recoil pad for the centerfire Marlin lever actions? I would like to put pads on my 336 Texan and my 1895 with Guide Gun stock. I would strongly prefer pre-fit if possible. My Glenfield 30 has a grind to fit Limbsaver which works great, but from what I can tell Limbsaver does not make a prefit for Marlin. I read somewhere that the prefit pad for the wood stock Savage 110 is a very close fit with just a little trimming needed. Is that the case?

Jon K
10-17-2012, 09:49 AM
I tried pre-fit, and they didn't fit. Grind to fit or slip on is your best bet.

Marlin makes a recoil pad(red w/logo), but lots of ginding to fit.

Jon

fecmech
10-17-2012, 02:36 PM
If you are looking for actual recoil reduction IMO Limbsaver or Kickeez are the way to go. Pretty easy to fit a pad. Mount the pad on the stock. Scribe a line around the stock on the base of the pad and remove the pad from the stock. Grind the pad on a disc or belt sander till the line just disappears, it will fit perfectly. You can do it without a jig quite easily but I bought a jig and have paid for it long ago doing pads for other people.

geargnasher
10-17-2012, 04:22 PM
How about 10 grains of Unique? :kidding:

Gear

Gtek
10-17-2012, 05:12 PM
I have done more than a few lever guns out of the Marlin house. I will state that I have more than I should. I like the grind to fit for my monkey arm pull length and probably on every one the screws were not centered, some not even kind of close. You own the gun for years and do not see it until you map and put calipers to it. Overbore and dowel to recover. No, chances are not good with pre-fit. I use the Hogue 1" grinders, if you are not a fan of the plastic dip look not a big deal. Strip and fit pad then finish as desired. Gtek

W.R.Buchanan
10-17-2012, 07:28 PM
I personally like the Pachmayer trap style pads and yes you will have to grind them to fit or else they won't fit.

They look like this one on my 1895 Coboy .45-70 when done. [smilie=p:

Randy

FergusonTO35
10-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Nice work! I do prefer the flat pad face design myself, however. I've done grind to fit pads before and, while I feel capable of doing them still, I'm a lot lazier now than I used to be.

Rooster59
10-18-2012, 10:23 PM
The pre-fit Limbsaver bought for my wife's 1895G fits so close it's almost perfect but that was sheer luck. Even the factory grinds the stock pads and plates to get them to fit.

The one I picked up had obviously been tried and put back in the package by someone who thought pre-fit pads were possible.

Jeff