PDA

View Full Version : Ordering accurate mold got a question.

Rotaxxx
10-16-2012, 09:26 PM
I am about to order a mold from accurate but I am a little confuse on how to do it! I need a boolit that is .330 and about 115grn. The #31-110c is the style of boolit I want, but as I understand it will cut it to .314. Would he be able to open it up to .330? Hope that made sense lol. It will be used for a 8mm lebel revolver.

garbear
10-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Contact them. I have not ordered from them but everyone that has posted about accurate molds like what they get.
Garbear

tomme boy
10-16-2012, 11:02 PM
Send him an email and tell him what yo want. He will draw it up an put it on the list. Then you can tell him if there needs to be any changes. I have had him do 5 molds for me already. They are exactly as you ask. Ask him also on how the tolerance ranges will work. You can have +, -, or +-

MarkP
10-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Tom is great to work with, he will make your mold to your print or modify existing designs and at a very good price. I submitted my drawings and the next day he added them to his catalog, ordered the molds that day and they were on my doorstep 3 days later. I am sure he will draw up your bullet for you and you will get exactly what you want.

Piedmont
10-16-2012, 11:34 PM
And when he draws it up, if it isn't just how you want, suggest how you would like him to change it. This is a chance to get EXACTLY what you want. How many times in life do you get to do that?

RobS
10-16-2012, 11:48 PM
And when he draws it up, if it isn't just how you want, suggest how you would like him to change it. This is a chance to get EXACTLY what you want. How many times in life do you get to do that?

Now that's what it's about!
:2_high5:

geargnasher
10-17-2012, 12:50 AM
First step is a chamber/throat/leade cast or impact slug.

Gear

shooter93
10-17-2012, 06:07 PM
And pay attention to any advice he gives about design.

Moondawg
10-17-2012, 06:31 PM
The boolit you listed is in the .310 section of the catalog. You need to go a little further to the .32 or 33 caliber section and find a boolit that is the weight and design that you want. The first number of the boolit is the approximate diameter of the boolit the other numbers and letters are the design. Tom can adjust from that base diameter several thousands either way.

phaessler
10-17-2012, 08:05 PM
+1 for Tom at Accurate.

I have given him two generated drawings , cad type and received two beautiful molds, that cast what I want and dimensionally almost perfect.
I have also sent him a hand-drawing and he took the time to work with it and come up with a design that will more than serve the purpose.
No lag time for special orders/design changes, and reliable turn arounds.
Can see a few more Accurate's in my casting stash real soon.

Pete

turbo1889
10-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Going from 0.314" diameter to 0.330" diameter is a pretty big jump for CNC tooling to take on a small cavity cut without distorting some of the features. I suggest shooting Tom an e-mail and telling him exactly what you told us in your OP and within days something along the lines of a #33-115C will pop up new in his catalog (your going to gain a little weight with the slightly larger diameter assuming you just increase the diameter).

Rotaxxx
10-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks guys, I will email Tom and go from there!

MikeS
10-21-2012, 01:11 AM
One of the things I really like about Tom is that he'll do design work basically for free. It's one of the reasons I prefer buying moulds from him, rather than Mountain Molds, which also lets you design whatever boolit you want. With MM, you have to design it using an online program, and Dan (that's his name, right?) makes exactly what you ask for, good bad, or otherwise. With Tom doing the design work, while he'll do his best to make what you want, if what you want is really a crazy design that won't fly right, Tom will let you know, and make suggestions on how to make it a better design. I believe their pricing is pretty close, so you're getting the benefit of Tom's design knowledge basically for free.

Another is repeatability. As an example, I was thinking of a design for a boolit for the 400 Corbon in another message thread, and another forum member liked what we were talking about, emailed Tom, Tom designed the exact boolit I was looking for, and I was able to order it, as the boolit was added to his catalog. With MM he doesn't keep a catalog of moulds designed, so if somebody buys a mould from him, and another member likes the design, short of getting all the settings for the MM program from OP, there's no way to duplicate the mould. At least it was like that last time I was on the MM site, he did mention eventually starting a catalog, so I don't know if he has or not.