Chuckbuster / Kevin

chuckbuster
10-26-2012, 06:55 AM
Have tools in stock ready to ship
Thanx for looking
Kevin

chuckbuster
11-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Added a couple of accessories to the die set, shown in classified post.

Also a question for you swagers.
The dies are currently being made to use .432" bullets for slugs. Wondering how much interest there may be in dies that use other sizes, .45 for instance or even .50 or .510. Larger sizes would be built on larger diameter bodies of course, 1.25" or even perhaps 1.5".
Just wondering. Thanx again for looking and your input.
Kevin

DukeInFlorida
11-03-2012, 11:19 AM
The larger the "billet" or boolit, the more material available for making wire, and the better. However, not everyone has a mold for .500. If you made it an option as to boolit/billet size, that would be wonderful. With your current internal design, the transition force should be OK, especially with some heat, at the larger sizes.

Thanks for continuing to evolve the design for the swaging community!

ratboy
11-03-2012, 04:14 PM
i would like a set i could use with a hydraulic press from harbor freight or similar. i am just not sure how i would do it yet

midnight
11-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Someone asked if you could make a set that would work on the Walnut Hill. I kind of made it work by necessity. I didn't finish extruding one bullet and without thinking I put another bullet on the punch and pushed it into the die. Now I am at a point in the stroke where I have very little leverage. Even with the die screwed up as far as I dared, I couldnt make it move. So I took it over to the Walnut Hill and screwed the die way down in the top. I set the punch on about ½in of shims on top of the ram and used the increased leverage of the swaging press to extrude the wire. I won't do that again. An adapter threaded 7/8x14 on one end and drilled and tapped for the punch on the other end would have been helpful.

Bob

midnight
11-03-2012, 08:20 PM
I just came up from extruding some 0.187 wire using chuckbuster's dies and I discovered something I wanted to post before I forgot. I began extruding using Richard Corbin'd swaging lube on the billets/boolits and it worked well except the sections of wire tended to stick together. Just for the heck of it I tried Hornady's "Unique" case lube. It worked but not nearly as well. The stroke was sometimes a little jerky and sections of wire still tended to stick together. I have a bunch of pure anhydrous lanolin I got from rockrat so I tried it. The stroke was silky smooth and the sections of wire separated easily. I think Duke or somebody said to mix the lanolin 50/50 with castor oil and I may try that but the pure lanolin really works,

Bob

DukeInFlorida
11-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Actully, I like to mix the anhydrous lanolin with Militec-1 synthetic lube. Works better than any other lanolin/other combination.

I run some swage lube only on the outside, and like it when the sections stick together. I let them get about 12" long and then cut them with side cutters. I chop the stick, and see no variation, even with joints in the pre-form core.

DukeInFlorida
11-03-2012, 11:55 PM
It's important to adjust the die in an RCBS or similar press so that the extruding happens at the camming-over portion of the press lever. Give the die some heat from a paint stripping heat gun. That will make the first push a LOT easier. After pushing as much lead on that stroke as possible, back off on the lever a bit, and rotate in 6 rotations of the die, and run the lever again, You should be able to get 3-4 cycles this way, before you have to back out the die the number of rotations that you completed in the previous cycle. Now, you can install another boolit, and start again with a new cycle.

Someone asked if you could make a set that would work on the Walnut Hill. I kind of made it work by necessity. I didn't finish extruding one bullet and without thinking I put another bullet on the punch and pushed it into the die. Now I am at a point in the stroke where I have very little leverage.
Bob

midnight
11-29-2012, 11:06 PM
I was just looking over a post I made back on 11-3 about adapting Chuckbuster's extrusion die for use on the Walnut Hill. Since then I found a solution. What I needed was an adapter male threaded 7/8x14 on one end and female threaded on the other end the same as Chuckbusters punch. I had some old 220 Swift dies I was using to make core seat punch holders. One Redding die was threaded on the top the same as Chuckbuster's punch. Instant adapter. The Walnut Hill's ram is threaded 7/8x14 so the old die screws right in.

Bob

chuckbuster
12-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Time to bump this up I guess,
Thanx

midnight
12-28-2012, 06:45 AM
I have an interest in larger extrusion dies. Now that I have RCE's Hydroswage press I should be able to use larger billets. I think the press is threaded 1½x12 but it may even be 2in with an adapter. The bigger the better. I had envisioned a billet around ½in in diameter and maybe 3 to 5in long. I could easily bore a mold of that size. I'll have to get the press up and running and measure everything. I think it has about a 10in stroke. I'll also have to calculate the pressures needed and if I have enough. My brother the hydraulics whiz can help with that. With the area of the piston versus the area the force is to be applied to I should be able to calculate the maximum size billet I can use plus a safety factor. After I figure out what I want, Chuckbuster can fill me in on what is possible.

Bob

chuckbuster
12-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Be glad to look at the project with you Bob

Kevin

midnight
01-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Chuckbuster: I got the RCE HydraSwage into the house now so I could look at it more closely. There is about 7in of stroke between the ram and the top of the press. Both the ram and the top of the press are threaded 1½x12. I have one adapter for
1½x12 to 1inch. I'm not sure of the 1in thread pitch. Should be able to make a pretty good size extrusion die using a billet of about 0.5in x 4 or 5in. If 1.5in stock is used the die should be strong enough. Am I in the ball park?

Bob

kc3ak
07-30-2015, 04:43 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I found it using the wonderful "search engine". My question, are these dies still available? I tried the link, but it seems to be broken, or I'm not using it right, one of the two. It sounds so good, I would be interested, esp if it were available to work with the Walnut Hill press. Thanks!

DukeInFlorida
08-02-2015, 02:25 AM
The OLD link that Kevin posted in how first post was an advertisement that he has in S&S area. That original post is long gone.

However, Kevin is still a Vendor Sponsor, and has his stuff listed here:

Chuckbuster's Vendor Sponsor Page (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?206-Chuckbuster)

Now, Kevin is concentrating on the Ultimate Cannelure Machines, but I bet he still has some of the extrusions dies, rams, etc.....
You should contact him, and ask.

Tell him DukeInFlorida sent you (Kevin is a good friend)