PDA

View Full Version : Pacific C Press with Wedge Adaptor

LUBEDUDE
10-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I recently picked up this Pacific C press off ebay. Some of you may recognize it by the Pacific "blue" wedge adaptor applied for those who do not wish to load full tilt.

Anybody have any idea about the time frame when these wedge adaptors came about?
This is the first one I have come across and is basically why I bought the rig. Not because of the tilting issue. Just because it seemed unique.

Thanks

NVcurmudgeon
10-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Lubedude, the Pacific wedge has to be similar to the one furnilshed as an optional extra for the Lyman Spar-T press. I drew up a plan for a Lyman wedge, with the idea of bugging somebody with a drill press into making one for me out of hardwood, but never got around to it. Near as I could measure the Lyman is about ten degrees; the Pacific appears to be much steeper. I would love to find one for my Spar-T!

AZ Pete
10-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Can't say for sure, but it pre-dates 1962. The one I have in the attic was bought used in 1962 by my father.

Pressman
10-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Lubedude your press is from the mid 1950's. I have not been able to pin down a date when Pacific began to offer presses in colors other than black. The Super like yours came along after WWII and was dropped in favor of a new design when Dietmeyer took over Pacific.

Your wedge is from the Dietmeyer era, after 1961. It was made for the redisigned Super press, the only Pacific with a rear incline.
FYI: An outside company made wooden wedges for Herter's presses in 1961 and RCBS offered a reverse wedge to give a rear incline to the JR2. Echo also offered a wedge.

Ken

LUBEDUDE
10-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Thank you everyone for your input.

Pressman - I don't care much for the army tank green color, lol, if that is original. Maybe it was a popular color or marketed as so after the Korean war?

As far as the reverse wedges go, What is the advantage or draw to reloading on a tilt?

The only thing I can think of is may a better visual and ease of bullet placement ?

Any thoughts, anyone?

flashhole
10-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Nice rig. I think the idea of the tilt-back press was to make the handle location in full extension mode more friendly to the user but I'm not sure.

AZ Pete ... you should get that bad boy out of the attic and put it back in service.

AZ Pete
10-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Nice rig. I think the idea of the tilt-back press was to make the handle location in full extension mode more friendly to the user but I'm not sure.

AZ Pete ... you should get that bad boy out of the attic and put it back in service.

Just not enough room to set it up now. Used if until about 1995, when I picked up a Bonanza Co-AX. The Pacific loaded very accurate ammo.

LUBEDUDE
10-22-2012, 12:33 PM

Hmmmm Interesting

Thanks!

1bluehorse
10-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Lubedude your press is from the mid 1950's. I have not been able to pin down a date when Pacific began to offer presses in colors other than black. The Super like yours came along after WWII and was dropped in favor of a new design when Dietmeyer took over Pacific.

Your wedge is from the Dietmeyer era, after 1961. It was made for the redisigned Super press, the only Pacific with a rear incline.
FYI: An outside company made wooden wedges for Herter's presses in 1961 and RCBS offered a reverse wedge to give a rear incline to the JR2. Echo also offered a wedge.

Ken

....?....my 70's era Multi-Power has a slight tilt ( WAG 10 degrees or so )....