PDA

View Full Version : No more surplus?

DeanWinchester
10-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Can anyone chime in on what I heard recently?

I was told by the man I buy my components from that military surplus components are no longer going to be made available to civilians. This guy sells this stuff by the truck load, I would think he's sure of what he's talking about. He says he has picked up the last load of barrels they are going to sell him.

If this rumor is true, I'm screwed. I depend heavily on buying surplus SMP 842, 844T and 846 for $10/lb. Going back to commercial stuff isn't something I'm looking forward to.

I'm not here trying to perpetuate something that may or may not be. I'm just trying to see if anyone else has heard similar stories.

Love Life
10-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Did he give a timeline? All the surplus dealers I know and use are still well stocked, and continue to get more stuff.

DeanWinchester
10-16-2012, 02:53 PM
He just said when he picked up the last truck load of 90lb barrels, they told him that was it. No more, ever.

I hope the guy he talked to was wrong.

Silvercreek Farmer
10-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Don't know about powder, but i've seen some pretty credible info that military fired brass is being shredded and scrapped rather than sold to the public.

GRUMPA
10-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Don't know about powder, but i've seen some pretty credible info that military fired brass is being shredded and scrapped rather than sold to the public.

So far I've seen this happen twice and I've commented about it to a couple of people about 2 months ago. I watch the gov auctions and since I pointed it out I don't actually see them listed. Although I have noticed that the auctions aren't as frequent as they once seemed to be they seem to be just they were in the past.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?Ntt=brass%20casings&Ntk=Keyword&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Nty=1&Ns=P_Lot_Number|0&words=brass%20casings&cmd=keyword

1Shirt
10-16-2012, 05:15 PM
This just plain sucks!! I had word of a Ga outfit that would be put out of the brass business and would cost 60 employees their jobs. Had not heard of powder! Is Obozo going to send powder as well as brass to China!
1Shirt!

sargenv
10-19-2012, 09:17 AM
There are other sources of surplus than the US Gov... I've seen stuff pop up on Jeff Bartlett's site that was made in Russia, Canada, Israel and other places.. If they can import it, they will..

Wayne S
10-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Don't know about the supply drying up, but will have to agree with SARGENV, if there is a buck or two to be made the powders made outside the US should be available. It's the types that seam to be available; 844 & 846, or the super slow ;8700 or the stuff for the 50 BMG, If you use these a lot, then that's great, if not you are SOL [smilie=b:

Goatwhiskers
10-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Don't know about powder, but the story about shredding GI brass got shot down some time ago. GW

KYCaster
10-19-2012, 01:27 PM
IIRC, this isn't a recent development. It was Slick Willy who stopped the sale of surplus ammo.

You can find plenty of things to blame the current POTUS for, but this isn't one of them.

Jerry

Superfly
10-19-2012, 02:37 PM
According to dan At hi tech ammo there is no Ban on civvie sales of pulldown powder or the lack of it not that he has heard anyways.

Jaime