PDA

View Full Version : Pan lube gas check boolits?

FergusonTO35
10-16-2012, 09:04 AM
I have been pan lubing (loobing?) my plain base boolits for awhile now with good success. I would like to start pan lubing my GC .309 rifle boolits also. How would that best be accomplished? It seems to me that if you pan lubed before you added the gas check, the lube could cause problems with seating the gas check. I suppose you could size the boolit and seat the check first, however this would require sizing again or using a very close fitting cake cutter to remove the extra lube. Any ideas out there?

Another question: how well does the old standard alox/beeswax lube such as Lyman's Ideal work on rifle boolits up to 2,000 fps? Is it even worth trying or should I go straight to another formula? I'm using 150 grain Lee boolits in a .30-30.

Ben
10-16-2012, 09:34 AM
FergusonTO35

Take a look at this , I believe it will answer all
your questions about pan lubing a g/c'd .30 cal. bullet:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34058

FergusonTO35
10-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Awesome, thats just what I needed. If this is not yet a sticky it needs to be!!

Ben
10-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Thank you for those kind words.

Ben

FergusonTO35
10-19-2012, 01:01 PM
I tried your suggestion and made a cake cutter out of a 1957 vintage milsurp .30'06 case. I found the best way to get the resize the neck to the proper size to use on .310 boolits is to take a .311 jacketed bullet and drive it in and out of the case neck a few times. I used a .32 Auto but I'd say a 7.62X39 or .303 would work as well. This expands the neck to the perfect fit for cutting boolits out of lube. It works great!!

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Ben understands the phrase "Empirical Data".

I have experimented for years with the same idea. I came to two related conclusions.

1. everything you do to a nice, well cast boolit from the time you drop it on an old bathroom towel is B-A-D for it. If you have juggled alloys to get the diameter/hardness you want, stop messing.

2. you have to eliminate as many variables as possible. NOE makes a great gas check seating tool. Seat the checks and pan lube. Ben's cake cutter is both functional and easy to make/operate.

Rich

PS: Ferguson: have you tested to see if one year case is better than another? This might be a good use for one of those nasty steel cased 7,62x54R cases.

geargnasher
10-19-2012, 02:00 PM
The real trick is maintaining that boolit in a nice, concentric, balanced state after you set off a bomb directly behind it.

Gear

FergusonTO35
10-21-2012, 12:45 PM
If anything the old milsurp cases are more brittle than current commercial brass, which is probably a lot easier to make into a cake cutter. I chose the old milsurp case because it's 21 years older than me. I bet a 7.62X54R case would make great cake cutter.