PDA

View Full Version : Going through more of Dad's Things

Boerrancher
10-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Over the weekend, I was gong through more of dads things. I found lots of cool stuff. I had my oldest Step Brother helping me. As we were working in different areas of the garage he called me over and ask, "What is this this stuff heaped up in this milk crate? It is some sort of metal plate with raised backwards writing on it."

When he mentioned the backwards writing he had my attention. I walked over to where he was at and there was a milk crate stacked, not piled, but stacked with lino type plates. It was all the two of us could do to get it picked up and moved. Even though I am a bit broken I can still move 100 lbs for a short distance before pain becomes too intense, and Wayne is not a tiny weakling. My guess is there is somewhere between 150 and 200 lbs of Linotype.

As far as other lead, we found about 50 lbs of WW and 40 lbs of pure. I told you fellas that once I got things organized I would start putting up some of the items I don't need for sale. I have news for you. You will not see any of the Lino type listed. I am going to hang on to it. I may not ever need to shoot it, but my children or grand children may, and if there ever comes a day when the J-words are no longer available and for high velocity loads lino may be the only option.

Best wishes,

Joe

smokeywolf
10-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Super find Joe. Its good to find stuff like that; remember happy days. Plus, be able to send it down the line to others and trigger their memories.

smokeywolf

Silvercreek Farmer
10-16-2012, 01:47 PM
I inherited a good portion of my grandfather's guns and shooting gear when he passed away. Between living in town and health problems, he didn't get to shoot much in his later years. I like to think that I am making up for it! Going through a loved one's posessions is a lot of work, both physically and emotionally. If at all possible, take your time, and savor the memories. Anymore, the grieving process is rushed.

Echo
10-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Great haul, Joe. And smart to hang on to it, for the reason given.

ErikO
10-16-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm working on reversing the no-gun trend in my family. My son and his family will get my stuff when my wife and I are unable to use it anymore.

Mk42gunner
10-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Going through a loved one's posessions is a lot of work, both physically and emotionally. If at all possible, take your time, and savor the memories.

Very true words there. Even though my Dad has been gone for 19 years, and Grandpa for 18; I still find myself thinking of them when I pickup one of their tools to do something around the place.

Robert

dragonrider
10-16-2012, 10:08 PM
I'd say it's always good to have some lino hanging around. Although I have never used the 200 or 300 lbs I have. It's the only lead I ever payed for and have never used. :veryconfu

Boerrancher
10-17-2012, 08:18 AM
I have been enjoying going through dads things. Lots of memories there. He was a great father when I was growing up and a great friend when I became an adult. He will be missed, but his last couple years were pure misery for him, so I am grateful that he is no longer suffering and in pain. We had lots of great times and I have lots of great memories, and that is what counts.

Best wishes,

Joe

Wis. Tom
10-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks for sharing, Joe. My father is 89, and is living with us, as when we built our house in 2005, we built a father in law suite for him to live, to enjoy his remaining days. I am truly blessed, as now we hear countless stories of the last 89 years, and my children are learning history first hand, and have a true sense of what growing up in this country, really was like. Thanks again, and everyone else, enjoy your loved ones today, as you can never go back.

mold maker
10-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Having possession of our late parents treasures is both a curse and a blessing. The hardest thing is getting rid of things that meant so much to them, but can't be kept.
Holding things they used, brings tears of joy and many fond memories, of happier times. I can still remember the smell of Moms fried chicken every Sunday. The pan is ruined and worthless, but the memory is priceless.

JeffinNZ
10-17-2012, 05:17 PM
I have a few of my late father's tools and books. It's nice to have them around.

Boerrancher
10-18-2012, 08:18 AM
I don't have anything from my paternal Grandfather, and I have my maternal grandfather's old Stevens 22 auto loader, and knife he used to take care of the deer he shot with it. I don't believe someone is truly gone as long as they are not forgotten.

Best wishes,

Joe

Jim
10-18-2012, 08:23 AM
I don't have anything from my paternal Grandfather, and I have my maternal grandfather's old Stevens 22 auto loader, and knife he used to take care of the deer he shot with it. I don't believe someone is truly gone as long as they are not forgotten.
Best wishes,

Joe

Wholeheartedly agree. There are several men that made big impressions on me that are still alive as far as I'm concerned.

WILCO
10-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Super find Joe.

+1! [smilie=p:

fatelk
10-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Going through a loved one's posessions is a lot of work, both physically and emotionally.
So true. I helped clean up my grandfather's house after he passed away some years ago. 50+years accumulation in a big old house he had added on to several times, not to mention the large shop. What a mess.

His few guns were gone when I got there, but I cleaned out the ammo and misc. in the safe. Nobody else wanted it, and I asked everyone. It all sat in a big box in my garage for a couple years before I really went through it. It felt weird. It wasn't my stuff, it was my grandpa's stuff. Now it's been long enough that what is left is mine, but it still has memories attached. Some of those boxes of ammo I remember seeing in his safe when I was a little kid.

As to the guns, all I ever really wanted was the .45 that he had owned as long as anyone remembers. He'd take me hunting with him when I was 5, and he'd strap that .45 with it's old leather holster and army belt on me. It would thunp against my knee as I walked, but I felt pretty tough. It disappeared a couple years before he died. After the funeral my no-good bum cousin pulls up with a gun in his hand and gives it to me: "This is supposed to go to you."

I haven't seen him since so I may never know who determined it was mine. Nobody else seems to know. One of my boys will own it some day. It's a nice old Colt Commercial Government Model made in '47.

Joe, good find on the linotype. I expect your dad would be glad you found it.

Silvercreek Farmer
10-18-2012, 04:16 PM
As to the guns, all I ever really wanted was the .45 that he had owned as long as anyone remembers. He'd take me hunting with him when I was 5, and he'd strap that .45 with it's old leather holster and army belt on me. It would thunp against my knee as I walked, but I felt pretty tough. It disappeared a couple years before he died. After the funeral my no-good bum cousin pulls up with a gun in his hand and gives it to me: "This is supposed to go to you."

I haven't seen him since so I may never know who determined it was mine. Nobody else seems to know. One of my boys will own it some day. It's a nice old Colt Commercial Government Model made in '47.

Wow, these stories never end that way, glad you were able to hang onto it!

Blacksmith
10-18-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't believe someone is truly gone as long as they are not forgotten.

Neither do I which is one reason I am compiling my genealogy. Remembering people long gone and learning along the way. They were some pretty amazing people some of whom participated in the history that I read about in school.

I hope my genealogy research will help them be remembered long after I am gone.

shooterg
10-21-2012, 08:15 PM
I'd say the cuz ain't such a no-good bum anymore ! Great to have something like that to pass on (and shoot!).