PDA

View Full Version : 458X2.0 American

Nobade
10-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Does anybody know if you can load 458X2.0 with 45-70 dies? I would think it should work since they're almost the same thing but I have never tried it.

r1kk1
10-16-2012, 08:48 AM
This is just a guess but I would think the base of the 458 is .513" and a 458 win mag sizer would work fine as 45-70 base is .503". I believe you could use a bullet seater from a 45-70 die set.

Or you could buy a set of 458 win mag dies and have them shortened by just about any gunsmith.

That cartridge has an interesting history.

Take care

r1kk1

wlc
10-16-2012, 03:07 PM
A friend of mine has one and if I remember correctly he uses 450 marlin dies. RCBS also makes "real" 458X2 American dies. They are custom and there is a wait though.

The 450 marlin is basically a "commercialized version of it. "I think" that the dimensions are all about the same except for total brass length (450 is 2.1" where the 458 is 2") and the belt height. It was done this way to preclude it being accidently chambered in one of the belted mags with a smaller bore.

Be interested in any info you care to share about yours. I've been thinking about getting either an encore barrel or building up a savage rifle for it.

Nobade
10-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Yep, almost the same thing as the 450 Marlin. After I thought about it I realized I have a set of 458 win mag dies already. The sizer should work as is, and the seater could be shortened if it needs to be. I was looking at Dave Kiff's book of reamer prints this morning and his design looks like it would be a good one. Pretty much the same throat as his 458 Lott, with a little less parallel section.

What got me thinking about this is a Mosin Nagant 91/30 that could use a new barrel. The rim would work with the bolt unaltered, I have a big pile of 7mm rem mag brass to use, (too short for my 416 Taylor so they're just sitting) and Adams & Bennett barrels are dirt cheap. Contoured to match the original barrel I could use the issue sights, issue stock, etc. and have myself an entertaining single shot bolt gun for smokeless or black powder shooting.

I'll Make Mine
10-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Nobade, I've seen a photoset for a Mosin Nagant conversion to .45-70 -- with magazine capacity of four (the fatter bullet end prevents loading five as with original cartridge). They had to cut away some areas on the sides of the magazine to clear the cartridges, but the end result apparently shot well and fed well. No reason the same modification couldn't be done for .458 Lott or .458 American (you could even make a rimmed version of .458 American necked up from the x54R case -- head size forward of the rim is just few thousandths smaller than .30-06 -- and know for certain it would work with the unmodified Mosin bolt and magazine interrupter).

Of course, for entertainment purposes, nothing says you have to load the magazine...