PDA

View Full Version : Better sights for the '94 winny

PAT303
10-16-2012, 03:17 AM
I have a '94 in 30/30,the original sights are ordinary at best so whats a good replacement?.I have looked at the williams reciever sight but it was cheap to my eye's,I want a sturdy sight and whats a good foresight,I'd like a tunnel sight if I could get one.Thanks in advance Pat

LtFrankDrebbin
10-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Lyman reciever sight could be a go for yah, I have a Williams 5D on wy Win 92 and had to replace the front sight with a taller Lyman bead. Only regret is not getting the FP Williams instead.
Marbles tang sight could be a nother one worth looking at.
What is the main use for the gun?

cajun shooter
10-16-2012, 08:25 AM
If you go to the Brownells sight, you will find many choices for both front and rear. If shooting close targets the Ghost rings are great for Quick accurate shots.
As the above member posted, it all depends on your intended use. Some sights work great for one type of shooting but will not be any good at all for another.
The Marbles tang is a fine sight if you are not shooting at changing range targets. It does not adjust fast or easy enough for this type of duty.

Baja_Traveler
10-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Or - you can do like I did and put on an MVA Soule Schuetzen sight. The best sight made, but it will cost as much as your rifle did! But boy, does it work awesome...

Jon K
10-16-2012, 10:38 AM
MVA is good...but let's not forget Baldwin.

Jon

helice
10-16-2012, 11:28 PM
I've seen 94 Winchesters with Wm.s 5Ds mounted 60 years ago and never changed. That is a simple and usable sight. The Fool Proof is not exactly fool proof but it is easier to adjust.

FergusonTO35
10-17-2012, 09:08 AM
I had a Williams 5D on my 94AE. I was surprised how accurate it was, it accounted for several deer and some pretty tight groups on the range. Also, be sure to get a better front sight such as a fine bead from Williams/Lyman/Marbles or one of the excellent Skinner partridge sights. As I recall mine worked best with a front sight of .500.

northmn
10-17-2012, 11:59 AM
I've seen 94 Winchesters with Wm.s 5Ds mounted 60 years ago and never changed. That is a simple and usable sight. The Fool Proof is not exactly fool proof but it is easier to adjust.

Seen a lot of that combination from old deer hunters. Many threw away the aperature and used them like ghost sights.

DP

GARCIA
10-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Oldest son picked up a pre 64 that has a Lyman 56 on it.
Really like that sight, plus it's all steel.

Tom

pietro
10-18-2012, 02:26 PM
FWIW, the new Lyman receiver sights are not - they are made of aluminum, just like the Williams sights.

The "tunnel" front sight you think you want is most likely the Lyman #7 Globe, with several interchangeable inserts.
While great for paper/target shooting, I'd never use one on a game animal.

Clinebo
10-19-2012, 08:25 PM
I had the Lyman 66 on my '94.