PDA

View Full Version : JR3 Press now mounted on the workbench

bruce drake
10-16-2012, 12:20 AM
I've now have joined the RCBS crowd. I bought a JR3 on Ebay two weeks ago and it finally arrived in the mail on Saturday. I've mounted it on the workbench besides my LEE Challenger Press and have been doing some comparison testing on it. So far, I'm happy with the purchase but more happy with the Customer Service from RCBS. I called today to ask to buy a Universal Primer Arm and the plastic primer catcher retaining strap and they said they would ship the parts out tomorrow free of charge.

r1kk1
10-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Very typical service from RCBS, at least in my experience.

Take care

r1kk1

10-16-2012, 10:52 AM
There's much to be said about both the press and RCBS customer service.

Roosters
10-16-2012, 11:14 AM
You may already know this.
A drinking straw cut and placed in the groove under the shell holder will make the spent primers fall in the catch tray instead of occasional bouncing and hitting the floor.

Wouldn’t it be great if all companies operated like that. . .:grin:

bruce drake
10-17-2012, 11:24 AM
I didn't know that as I've always used LEE Presses for the last 15 years. This is my first foray into using RCBS presses.

bruce drake
10-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Has anyone ever replaced the handle with a longer one or added an extension for a little more leverage? I was comparing the two presses the other night and I figure if I added a little more leverage for some swaging operations that I have planned, that I'd have an excellent press in the JR3.

Bruce

Roosters
10-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Instead of replacing the handle look for a peace of pipe with a close ID . Slip it over the handle and you could make it as long as you want.

Safeshot
10-21-2012, 05:13 PM
A "ball handle" (such as a "billiard ball") mounted on the end of the original handle will offer a slightly longer "effective" length and is more comfortable to use in "heavy" use. Just my opinion.

rintinglen
10-22-2012, 07:39 PM
A friend of mine with tool and die experience made himself a longer handle with an 8 ball for a knob. Worked great for him.

bruce drake
10-22-2012, 08:22 PM
I ditched the bicycle grip this weekend and Gorilla Glued a wooden ball to the end of the lever. It works a lot nicer now. I may have someone thread a longer arm for me in the future. Not much longer, maybe 6-8" but it will really improve the leverage for future swaging and reforming tasks (I bought it so I can finally use my 308 Win to 6.5 Jap Swage Dies that I bought from Riceone nearly 6 years ago)

Bruce

Roosters
10-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Now you are the proud owner of a CUSTOM JR3 PRESS.
Adds untold amounts to the price on eBay if you decide to resale !!!
:bigsmyl2:

bruce drake
11-18-2012, 11:01 AM
I'll keep the LEE Challenger mounted for rifle work. The JR3 doesn't have the same hand room when loading 30-06 cases (bullet seating operation) Everything else, I've been enjoying the RCBS press but I'll stay with a LEE Ram Prime as I'm more comfortable (Aka - Familiar) with it.

1maxhunter
11-21-2012, 03:37 AM
so the wood ball on a LEE press is a good thing? if that is what you guys are saying?

jimkim
11-21-2012, 02:01 PM
A ball handle is preferable(more ergonomic) to a bicycle grip. If it wasn't RCBS, Dillon, Redding, Lyman, Lee, and Hornady wouldn't be using them on their better presses. There are more ergonomic designs but the cost would be prohibitive.