PDA

View Full Version : Got a Doe w/Sparky my flintlock and a Lee 45 cal REAL bullet

Doble Troble
10-15-2012, 10:24 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/1380507cbffb09879.jpg

The shot was about 50 yds. I had Sparky out at the range early afternoon and it got some attention and passed around for about 10 perfect ignitions.

Got out to the recently cut cornfield about 4:30 pm Saturday. Sun went down behind the trees about 5:30 just in time for dead butt so had to stand up in the tree stand. Five min later Bambette and her friend emerged at the brush line wary. After a minute or two they wandered out into the corn. I tried to quietly sit back down and cocked Sparky without causing alarm. The larger doe presented a perfect broadside and I aimed behind the shoulder. Set trigger, breathe, trigger, squeeze...Cuh Clack! Flash in the pan and deer alert! She almost bolted. I froze. She looked right at me but didn't see me. Wind was in my face. After being frozen for what seemed half an hour she calmed back down and started grazing. I had to recock and close the frizzen. It made noise. Alert! Freeze! Another five minutes that seemed like a half hour and she went back to grazing, presenting a head-down frontal shot at 50 yds. I aimed right between the ear tips that defined a wide "V" over her back. Set trigger, breathe, squeeze...flash BOOM! Smoke and sulfur! The breeze blew it past to see legs in the air. A rear leg kicked once and fell over. Deep breath. Her friend is still there, wondering what happened. Five minutes pass with no movement. I climb out. Half way down her friend runs into the woods. Got to the deer about 10 min after the shot. She's completely dead with no apparent injury. Flip her over to dress and see a hole inside the upper part of her thigh. Open her up and the stomach is punctured, the liver comes out in several chunks and lung are puree. Heart is intact. Split the ribs and find the entrance at the base of the neck. The REAL bullet took out a neck vertebrae and penetrated stem and out the stern. The load was 70 gr of Graf's FFFg with the lighter REAL bullet out of a Green Mountain 42" 45 cal 1:60 twist barrel.

First deer with a muzzleloader. This won't be the last. :)

Wolfer
10-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Good job
Some time back I shot my neighbors flinter. I have a new respect for the people that use them.

smoked turkey
10-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Great hunt and great story. I have taken three with a cap and not flintlock. I have a bunch of respect for anyone who goes after them with a flintlock. Nice job and looks like some good eating there.

TCLouis
10-15-2012, 11:39 PM
I could shoot a flinchlock

RugerFan
10-16-2012, 02:02 AM
Great job! Thanks for posting.

helice
10-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Great picture. Great explanation. Congratulations! Enjoy the meat.

OnHoPr
10-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Looks backstrapalicous. I don't know if I could handle one of those flintlocks being left handed, but it sure looks interesting if you seen plenty of deer.

Survival Bill
10-17-2012, 03:27 PM
great hunt great story awesome photo thanks for sharing with us beautiful flintlock by the way...

swheeler
10-19-2012, 10:58 AM
DT: You and old sparky did good, enjoy!

roverboy
10-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Congratulations on a flinter deer. Did you build that rifle yourself? Its really nice. A friend of mine has a .32(and wants a .45-.50 bad) that shoots awesome with prb. Its a Tennessee Valley Manufacturing flintlock with 42" barrel.

Doble Troble
10-21-2012, 08:38 PM
I built Sparky back in 2004 from a "kit" from Track of the Wolf: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/141/1. I can say that I didn't need my lathe or mill, but if I hadn't had some experience using them it would have been hard to have finished Sparky. With that said you've got to start SOMEWHERE and a muzzleloader may just be a good place. I ordered middle of the road quality maple. I may have gotten lucky because what I got was in my opinion Bengal quality tiger stripe. I made my own aqua fortis given some chemistry background and access to chemicals. But think about it. NOBODY in mid-late 1700s had chemistry background. Chemistry was just being invented then. All they had was tradition and willingness to share experience. Maple is easier to work than walnut in my opinion, and walnut is much better than the european softwood beech, etc. If I build another hunting rifle I'll make it from a cheaper maple stock and stain it dark with aqua fortis and a propane torch.