PDA

View Full Version : Columbian flux?

I'll Make Mine
10-15-2012, 10:13 PM
I've been reading that sawdust makes excellent flux, as compared to various waxes that aren't true fluxes at all, just reductants (i.e. they'll pull some oxygen out of surface oxidation, but don't do much to keep alloy mixed etc.).

I don't have sawdust ready to hand, but I do have another material that's chemically similar, and ought to smell interesting as it burns off the melt: coffee grounds. My lady and I drink a couple pots a day, I could easily collect a couple pounds of dry grounds in a couple weeks (though I have to figure a good way to dry them, it may be as simple as spreading them a half inch thick on a paper towel in a warm oven, then dumping them into a can or jar when dry).

Anyone fluxed with coffee grounds? Good idea? Bad idea? I can get sawdust if I need to, but if I can use what I have...

geargnasher
10-15-2012, 11:07 PM
It works quite well as a "true" flux, but stinks to buggary and the smoke doesn't light very well. I actually tried it in an attempt to find a less stinky flux (I love coffee), but it smells like burning tires.

Gear

Gelandangan
10-16-2012, 05:37 AM
Coffee grounds are beautiful flux, as are tea leaves.

Defcon-One
10-16-2012, 09:16 AM
The smell is the problem. Same with other food type products (nut shells, grains, etc.). All of the oils in the grounds burn and they really do stink up the area. I just found an 8 foot pine 2x4 and cut it into kindling for my wood stove. I had enough pine saw dust (FLUX) to last me a year just from that little project.

I have found that pine sawdust is as good as it gets! (It is pretty easy to make if you are determined to.)

Personally, I'd rather saw up some wood than dry used coffee grounds!

jabo52521
10-16-2012, 10:54 PM
You know I have to try this. Thanks a lot.

geargnasher
10-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Wheat germ works very well, too. But again it stinks bad.

I used fresh coffee grounds for my little experiment, for what it's worth.

Gear

gwpercle
10-17-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't have a ready supply of sawdust either. But the pet stores sell wood shavings in big bags for pet bedding and the wood shavings work fine. I use the shavings with a little melted beeswax or parrafin to try to get the best of both types flux. The wood shavings absorb the beeswax and every thing gets stirred in.... smells good too .

gary

williamwaco
10-17-2012, 06:51 PM
How about dried grass clippings?

Never tried it but most people have an easy supply.

geargnasher
10-17-2012, 06:53 PM
How about dried grass clippings?

Never tried it but most people have an easy supply.

That's a good way to get the cops called on you if your neighbors are close. :holysheep

Gear

I'll Make Mine
10-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Next shopping day, I'll have to stop by the pet store and see what they want for wood curl pet bedding. While I'm in there, I'll look at lizard litter for my vibe tumbler, too (though I do have one box of walnut shell, plus the tumbler contents, left over from last time I ran the tumbler -- probably won't need media for a while). Meanwhile, I'd think spent grounds would stink less than fresh ones -- guess I'll dry a filter full and see what I get.

williamwaco
10-18-2012, 04:01 PM
That's a good way to get the cops called on you if your neighbors are close. :holysheep

Gear

75 feet.

Guess I better not try it.

geargnasher
10-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Especially not if you have long hair or wear beads......

Gear

D Crockett
10-20-2012, 10:00 PM
for all you guys that do not have any sawdust. I will give you a med flat rate box or a small flat rate box with as much sawdust shaveings that I can get into it. the wood will be oak that I have cut for use in my smokers. all I ask is you pay the shipping and if I break out the table saw I can do pine sawdust.just pm me and let me know D Crockett

olaf455
10-20-2012, 10:15 PM
I don't have a ready supply of sawdust either. But the pet stores sell wood shavings in big bags for pet bedding and the wood shavings work fine. I use the shavings with a little melted beeswax or parrafin to try to get the best of both types flux. The wood shavings absorb the beeswax and every thing gets stirred in.... smells good too .

gary

I like to use sawdust first, then I skim the dross and follow it up with wax. Just lite the smoke and when it goes out I leave the thin carbon layer to protect the melt.

a.squibload
10-29-2012, 03:05 AM
If you don't have free sawdust available,
this time of year the Big Box hardware stores will have Pellet Stove Fuel (pellets),
made of compressed sawdust, about $5 or less per 40 lb bag.
Wet them so they swell up, dry 'em out, instant sawdust with no glues, etc.
I have pellets around anyway for the stove. Makes good kitty litter too.

I'll Make Mine
10-29-2012, 07:24 AM
Actually, I've spotted an alternate flux source that should work like a combination of sawdust and wax: my carport collects fallen oak leaves, and for several years my van had a power steering leak, so there's a layer of leaves that are soaked in ATF (my van uses ATF in the power steering). The leaves are similar composition to wood chips or dust, and the ATF will do what various waxes are usually used for -- and I'll be starting to clean up the old oily leaves!

Von Dingo
10-31-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm gonna try pine needles when they get raked up in the yard.

ronbo40s&w
10-31-2012, 09:04 PM
I used fresh concob media. Smelled like corn roasting on a campfire. Huge smoke until you light it, then nice roasting corn smell.

God Bless!

Ron

John in WI
11-01-2012, 08:09 AM
A couple weeks ago I made a grocery bag of pine flux with a chunk of 2x4 and a spade bit on my drill. It really is worth the trouble!

As you mentioned, the pine critter-bedding you get at the pet store is an excellent alternative. More expensive than making your own, but not too much.

tbj555
11-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Home Depot or Lowes will give you all the saw dust you can carry. They just throw it away.

ubetcha
11-03-2012, 08:49 PM
I though awhile back there was a discussion on sawdust as a flux( I do use sawdust) and someone mentioned something about cedar shaving from the pet store.Another responded not to use cedar for some reason,if I remember.Don't recall the reason either.

I'll Make Mine
11-04-2012, 02:43 PM
The reason cedar chests and such work to preserve clothing stored within from insect attacks, is that cedar contains a compound that's toxic -- to bugs, with body weights of a few milligrams to a gram or so, a little of this stuff is lethal; to humans, that same amount impregnated in the clothes gives that wonderful cedar scent.

Burn the stuff incompletely in a confined space, and the concentration of the toxic chemical might get high enough to be harmful to a human. Outdoors or in a properly ventilated smelting station, I wouldn't think it would be a problem -- but cedar always costs more than pine, because of the relative rarity of cedar trees (they're in high demand, not just for clothing storage but for shingles, shakes, and siding, because they're resistant to insect attack in that use as well).

geargnasher
11-04-2012, 02:56 PM
I used some router shavings from Western Cedar (the purple, aromatic stuff) as flux one summer night, the clouds of smoke killed every mosquito and moth in the shop dead as a hammer before I got the air exchanged. I've worked with the wood on several occasions, and if I don't wear a really good dust mask when sanding it does make me feel a little ill after a while. There is no advantage using it vs. pine shavings. Lately I've been using some yellow pine sawdust from a project of mine, it's sticky with rosin/pitch and works REALLY well.

Gear

Shooter6br
11-04-2012, 03:50 PM
I think Columbian is legal in California LOL

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-06-2012, 05:08 PM
We have a Makita surface planer and dump out drain oil into the shavings bin. Makes a great fire starter in the shop stove and fluxes like nobody's business but it does stink.

Three44s
11-15-2012, 10:27 AM
IF the neighbors hassle you over the fluxing smoke ........ use their dog's turds for fluxing ...... when they call the cops again ....... tell the officer to take the dog to jail!

Three 44s

I'll Make Mine
11-15-2012, 08:14 PM
The old oak leaves with ATF soaked in seem to work pretty well for fluxing my wheel weights, though I have a little trouble skimming the last bits of the charred stems off the pot. Once they're smoking well, I stick a lit match into the smoke and it flares into flames and I keep stirring, then when the flames die out I start skimming off the char (the clips are pulled out before fluxing). I'll have to get some pine shavings or sawdust and see if it's better, but my clean ingots and shiny boolits say this is working well.

FrontSite
11-15-2012, 11:09 PM
We have a lumber outlet nearby that builds rafters and trusses for houses and garages. I made an inquire about what they do with the sawdust. His response was, You want it? Just back up the truck we will load you up! I had two 5 gal. buckets and he was disappointed I wouldn't take more.He really wanted to dump the bin into my pickup.
Normally, they just throw it in the land fill or give it to landscapers.

Bullet Caster
11-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Anyone ever bat feces? Heard it works very well but stinks like potasium nitrate. BC

a.squibload
11-16-2012, 04:47 AM
Anyone ever bat feces? Heard it works very well but stinks like potasium nitrate. BC

Never know what you guys are guano come up with.