PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor carbine

GOPHER SLAYER
10-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Hey single shot fans, look at what my friend picked up this week for a fast 600 bucks. The eldery lady who owned the rifle along with the uniform and side arm tried to donate them to the Goodwill but they would only take the uniform. As is often the case, the children wanted no part of guns. My friend also got a bayonet with the rifle. I tried to take a clear picture of the receiver but was unsuccessful. The receiver and lock plate are both marked 1873. The bore is very bright and shiney. As a side note, my friend did not buy the rifle from the lady. He bought it from a second party.

NickSS
10-16-2012, 04:31 AM
A very nice find and a good buy. I rarly have fallen into a deal that good.

M-Tecs
10-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Very nice. Great find. Just a note it does look like it’s a cut down rifle. The sling swivel on the trigger guard, lack of the saddle ring and the Buffington sight are clues. I believe that Buffington rears were used on later issue carbine but I am not an expert on TD’s Next clue would be to look at the front of the stock to see if the ramrod cut is filled in.

StrawHat
10-16-2012, 10:18 AM
This site is good for determining which Single Shot you may have.

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/

GOPHER SLAYER
10-16-2012, 05:02 PM
I know very little about the Springfield rifle that has become known as the trapdoor. I know how it came about when our army was looking for a cartridge rifle to replace the outdated muzzleloaders. All the major powers were going through the same process. I know that the rifle went through many changes and was the weapon of choice until 1892. I know that in 1873 it was chambered for the 45-70 and remained so until it was replaced. That's about it. I never had an interest in owing one and I could have bought them in the early '60s for well under a hundred bucks. I must admit I have developed a certain fondness for the beast. I am going to have Buckshot take a look at the rifle and get his opinion on it. I want to load some ammo so my friend can shoot it.

bowfin
10-16-2012, 05:59 PM
It appears to be in fantastic shape!

How is the bore?

13Echo
10-16-2012, 08:13 PM
That looks like a cut down rifle rather than a carbine. Also the rifle appears to have been reblued. It does however appear to be in excellent shape and should make a wonderful shooter.

Jerry Liles

MikeS
10-22-2012, 04:56 AM
I can't tell from looking at those pictures, but is it possible that it's a reproduction trapdoor? If you're interested more in a shooter than a collector, I would say that if it is a repro that fact wouldn't really matter, but if you were looking for a collector piece it would.

StrawHat
10-22-2012, 05:52 AM
It a trapdoor, what's not to like!