PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a Lee Classic Cast today

Love Life
10-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Should be here in a week or so.

I'll post impressions once it shows up and I put it to use.

starmac
10-15-2012, 04:38 PM
From everything I've heard, you will like it.
I had intended to pick one up, but I picked up an old heavy herters from bullshop just before he moved, that I don't see ever wearing out in my lifetime. lol
I already had two of the cheap lees and old rcbs, and last week I picked up a ch press, not sure what for, but it was in the auction and I was standing there. lol

rasto
10-15-2012, 06:27 PM
I worn-out mine after half an year, mostly swaging, ready to be changed ;-)

Jailer
10-15-2012, 08:02 PM
I've worn out a set of links on mine as well from swaging. Broken one too.

That press is a tank and unless you subject it to stress it was never intended for (as I have) it will last you a lifetime.

joec
10-16-2012, 08:37 AM
I take the plug out of mine making it accept 1 1/4 x 12 dies which I then use RCBS Cowboy dies for loading Magtech 12 ga shot shells with. Put the plug back in and it becomes a 7/8 x 14. I now however instead of that I use the Hornady Lock-N-Load Press and Die Conversion Bushing Kit which converts it from 1 1/4 x 12 to 7/8 x 14 quickly.

rollmyown
10-16-2012, 10:50 AM
The Lee cast iron press's and their dies are the best value products in reloading.
You'll be very happy.

JesterGrin_1
10-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Should be here in a week or so.

I'll post impressions once it shows up and I put it to use.

What in the world took you so dang long lol. :)

Love Life
10-16-2012, 02:44 PM
What in the world took you so dang long lol. :)

I was debating on whether or no the life time warraanty on the Redding Big Boss II was worth the extra $75.00.

After everything I read it seems that the Lee Classic Cast isn't just the cheapest big iron press out there, but the best based upon reviews. I will see. If it is a lemon it will go back and I will cough up the dough for the Big Boss.

Plus it had features others didn't. I really liked the ratchet idea alowing putting the handle where I please.

JesterGrin_1
10-16-2012, 02:50 PM
I was debating on whether or no the life time warraanty on the Redding Big Boss II was worth the extra $75.00.

After everything I read it seems that the Lee Classic Cast isn't just the cheapest big iron press out there, but the best based upon reviews. I will see. If it is a lemon it will go back and I will cough up the dough for the Big Boss.

Plus it had features others didn't. I really liked the ratchet idea alowing putting the handle where I please.

There are Sooooooooooo many threads on the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press I would have no idea where to start lol.

But I will say I had a few RCBS Single Stage Presses and the Lyman Turret Press II the new design. And got the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. Well The RCBS presses are collecting dust and I sold off the Lyman Turret lol. :bigsmyl2:

The only real weak link to the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press is the little plastic thing that the automatic advancing rod runs in. So I would order a couple of extra. But I think an extra comes in the box.

But then again most of the time since I mainly do rifle cartridges I do not have the advancing rod in place as it is just sooooooooo darn simple to advance the die plate by hand.

rasto
10-16-2012, 04:14 PM
I also bend the lever accidentally :-)
Never mind we have 2 years guarantee so I am returning it for replacement ;-)

Love Life
10-16-2012, 05:10 PM
@JesterGrin- That little plastic piece really turned me off on the Classic turret.

UNIQUEDOT
10-16-2012, 05:36 PM
@JesterGrin- That little plastic piece really turned me off on the Classic turret.

If a single stage is fast enough for you why would you be bothered by the plastic square ratchet on the turret? You can remove the plastic stuff and hand index and it's still much faster and far more convenient than a SS press.

JesterGrin_1
10-16-2012, 05:44 PM

I would say if you really feel that way send it to me lol. But since I have one I do not need another it does all that needs done. :)

Love Life
10-16-2012, 05:56 PM
If a single stage is fast enough for you why would you be bothered by the plastic square ratchet on the turret? You can remove the plastic stuff and hand index and it's still much faster and far more convenient than a SS press.

I have a Dillon RL550B if I need speed.

I just didn't like the little plastic square on metal. seems like a serious weak point, but as others have said it can be indexed quickly by hand. My friend has one. I have used it. Not my thing.

JesterGrin_1
10-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Ok I am a bit lost nothing new but you stated that you ordered a Lee Classic Cast Turret Press?

Love Life
10-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Oops. I posted I ordered a Lee Classic Cast press, but did not say whether it was the single stage or classic turret press.

I ordered the Lee Classic Cast single stage press. No breech lock.

JesterGrin_1
10-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Ok well if you needed a Single Stage You can not go wrong with the Classic Cast Single Stage.

But I will never use a Single Stage again since I have the Classic Turret. Even though many times I have thought of the Bonanza Co-Ax Press.

starmac
10-16-2012, 06:24 PM
I have never looked up close at a classic cast turret press with the plastic part, but as heavy built as they are, I suspect the plastic wear part is there for a reason, sort of like a shear pin on an outboard. Whole lot cheaper to chance a ten cent part than------------.

0verkill
10-16-2012, 06:51 PM

I love the adjustable handle on the Classic Cast. Awesome that I could have a left handed press so easily. I can shorten it to work on pistol brass, run it back out to full length to resize or form rifle cases. I can adjust the angle depending on the task at hand and whether I'm standing or sitting. Great press, I've not busted it swaging yet, fingers crossed.

UNIQUEDOT
10-16-2012, 08:04 PM
I have a Dillon RL550B if I need speed.

That is the one I'm wanting to replace my CC turret press. Don't expect the CC SS to have an excellent finish like the 550...if finish is important to you the Redding BB II would have been worth the extra money otherwise you'll likely be very pleased with the press.

Love Life
10-16-2012, 08:56 PM
The 550B is an outstanding reloading platform.

JesterGrin_1
10-17-2012, 12:18 AM
The 550B is an outstanding reloading platform.

I am sure that the 550B is a great press. But Play too much lol. So I can not find a reason for one.

If I load say 100 rounds the same I am on a Run lol.

brassrat
10-17-2012, 12:43 AM
I don't even know how to load without manually advance and hand prime.

DLCTEX
10-17-2012, 09:17 AM
I have loaded many thousand rounds on my Classic Cast Turret and the original plastic bushing is still in place.

mold maker
10-17-2012, 10:49 AM
That little plastic part is insurance that you wont damage the rest of the press. It is purposely, the week link, and is easy and cheap to replace.
I also have an RCBS piggy back that uses a similar part for the same reason.
Short stroking (operator error) is the major problem with the turret press.

Love Life
10-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the tips and info on the Classic Cast Turret. Maybe I'll pick one up one day. I here what Jestergrin is saying with the play in the 550. Between the loosley held tool head and flex in the shellplate 100% consistancy is a pipe dream. I load pistol and 5.56 on it. Accuracy doesn't suffer though so I'm not concerned with it.

I use the single stage for my bolt guns and load work up.

JesterGrin_1
10-17-2012, 11:28 AM
I strongly feel that the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press will produce Just as good of Ammo as a Single Stage. Well not sure about the Bonanza Co-Ax since I have not used one lol.

Some load work up I did recently with my 358 Winchester and the BRP 360-220 GC at 50 yards. Each Group is 5 rounds. :) All Loaded with the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/Savage358Win.jpg

But then again I will also say that most of the time the lack of accuracy is the Nut behind the Butt and not what press one uses. :)

Love Life
10-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Dang. Mebbe I should have gone with the turret in the first place.

jmort
10-17-2012, 12:16 PM
No, don't second guess your decision. You have a fantastic single stage press and when the time is right, you add the Classic Turret. To me, every bench should have both and Classic cast and a Classic Turret.

joec
10-17-2012, 02:19 PM
No, don't second guess your decision. You have a fantastic single stage press and when the time is right, you add the Classic Turret. To me, every bench should have [B]both[B] and Classic cast and a Classic Turret.

I have both the Classic Cast Turret and the Classic Cast single stage. I took out the die adapter changing it from a 7/8 x 14 thread dies to 1 1/4 x 12 dies for using the RCBS Cowboy Brass Shotshell Die 12 Gauge. I also replace the bushing with the Hornady Lock-N-Load Press and Die Conversion Bushing Kit which is quick to change it back to 7/8 x 14 thread dies similar to the quick change version. Oh and the Lee quick change version can't use 1 1/4 x 12 dies at all.

dnmccoy
10-17-2012, 02:24 PM
I started loading on the classic turret and loved it. Sold it and moved on to a Dillon 550, but I still plan on getting a classic cast to resize/deprime and size my boolits once I get started. If your comfortable with the speed of a single stage, the classic cast is a great value

geargnasher
10-17-2012, 03:58 PM
One advantage the Classic Turret has over the single stage is versatility. You can store your dies in the turret heads rather than in boxes, leave them set up how you want them, and batch-load with the index rod removed. Complete caliber changes take less than five seconds including the shellholder. My experiences show the floating, outside supported turret head is every bit as square and plumb as a single-stage, maybe even more so because you can adjust it if the alignment is off whereas with a solid unit you're stuck with what you have. Even the "Big Boys" don't always get things drilled right.

Just my .02. Here's how I store my dies nowdays for either batch or sequential loading on the turrets, in the red coffee cans with a dessicant pack inside each:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_89094f14e936a7dbf.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3483)

Gear

MT Chambers
10-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Not sure about Turret presses or progressives and I hope the O.P. likes his new press, but in my 50 plus years of reloading, nothing can touch the Co-ax, for strength, accuracy, ease of set-up, etc. Wish I had one years ago!

r1kk1
10-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Not sure about Turret presses or progressives and I hope the O.P. likes his new press, but in my 50 plus years of reloading, nothing can touch the Co-ax, for strength, accuracy, ease of set-up, etc. Wish I had one years ago!

+1 ordered one after using my buddy's press for the last few years.

r1kk1

traderpats
10-18-2012, 10:50 PM
I have loaded many thousand rounds on my Classic Cast Turret and the original plastic bushing is still in place.

+1 - Thousands of 9mm. .45acp and .223. That's depriming, resizing, reloading, etc. I made sure to pace it so I wasn't cranking along if it got out of snyc. Had very, very few stoppages during all those reloads too. Actually was expecting that plastic piece to give out at some point but it just never happened. Finally sold it for a good price but if I had the need again I wouldn't hesitate to buy another....

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-19-2012, 08:27 AM

You obviously haven't used a Lee Classic Cast with a Hornady LnL bushing installed or you wouldn't say that. They run pretty much neck and neck and I've used both. I like the Co-Ax as much as I like the Lee CC, but when you add in the difference in price, the Lee wins hands down. You can buy several Lees for the price of the Co-Ax. There's not that much difference between them in ammo quality produced to justify the huge difference in price.

Love Life
10-19-2012, 04:09 PM
It should be here today. I will update when I get it set up.

MT Chambers
10-20-2012, 12:35 AM
You obviously haven't used a Lee Classic Cast with a Hornady LnL bushing installed or you wouldn't say that. They run pretty much neck and neck and I've used both. I like the Co-Ax as much as I like the Lee CC, but when you add in the difference in price, the Lee wins hands down. You can buy several Lees for the price of the Co-Ax. There's not that much difference between them in ammo quality produced to justify the huge difference in price.

I believe that the " self centering" feature helps produce more accurate ammo, which becomes apparent when used in benchrest type rifles, no bushings, no shellholders....wish I had a second one(Co-ax).

Love Life
10-20-2012, 12:54 AM
Well I got home today and there was a heavyish box sitting on my porch. I opened it up and the Lee classic cast was there.

My initial impression was that this press is built like a tank. The finish was nice as well. I mounted it to the bench and worked the handle a bit. It was a little gritty on the stroke. No worries. I hit it with some lubricant and proceeded to size and then "M" die a couple hundred pieces of rifle brass. The press smoothed up perfectly. The press was aligned as it should be. No more squished case mouths with the "M" die.

All in all I am very happy with the purchase, and I would recommend it to anybody looking for a very solid press. Cost was $108.00 to my door from Grafs.

webradbury
10-20-2012, 11:03 AM
I've had a lot of different presses by a lot of different makers and I've had my Lee classic cast the longest. I can't say if you'll like yours or not but I do like mine.

Love Life
10-21-2012, 02:45 AM
I loaded some ammo today on it and did some more brass prep. I must say I am very impressed and satisfied with my purchase. I should have gotten one of these years ago.

What I'm impressed with:
-Finish is nice
-Well Machined and put together
-Ram stroke is smooth as silk now
-Very sturdy press. Nice and heavy
-I can move the handle position around depending on what task I am doing
-Cost compared to other presses
-Cast, machined, and assembled in the good old U.S. of A.

I have had a chance to use a lot of presses (usually other peoples presses) and I must say the Lee Classic Cast gives up nothing to similarly priced and significantly higher priced presses. I can't say that about the CO-AX because I have never used one of those. Did I mention I am very happy with my new Lee Classic Cast?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-21-2012, 07:47 AM
I believe that the " self centering" feature helps produce more accurate ammo, which becomes apparent when used in benchrest type rifles, no bushings, no shellholders....wish I had a second one(Co-ax).

A Lee Classic Cast single stage with a Hornady LnL bushing setup self centers as well and is one of the reasons I like both presses. As far as the bushings and shell holders go, the cost of a single Co-ax and you can buy a complete set of bushings and shell holders for all your die sets and still have money left over.

As far as the accuracy is concerned, at the time I compared the two, I had and have rifles more than capable of comparing the accuracy between the two types of presses. And the Co-ax design, while a positive in most cases, is a negative in certain reloading scenarios with some dies.

UNIQUEDOT
10-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Finish is nice

Maybe they stepped up in that department as the finish on mine was good, but nothing like a redding or rcbs.

Love Life
10-21-2012, 10:40 PM
On mine the finish is every bit as good as other presses. Like I said I am truly impressed with all aspects of this press.

The only thing I think I'll add are racing stripes.

Recluse
10-23-2012, 03:49 AM
-I can move the handle position around depending on what task I am doing

This is actually a pretty big thing for me. I've got a banged up (right) shoulder that the doc is wanting to tear out and replace with a new ceramic one. I'm not overly crazy about the idea.

But in the meanwhile, the arthritis IS bad and IS painful. Long ram strokes don't do me any favors, nor does uncomfortable "set" positions of the handle.

I like the Big Boss II, but it's not adjustable. It's been at least twenty years, if not longer, since I've pulled the handle on a Co-Axe (I'd be interested to know from Co-Axe owners how the stroke is--from what I remember, though, the stroke starts off high--which could be problematic). The Rockchucker was always comfortable.

One thing I DO like about my Lee Classic Turret is the adjustable handle--that is actually a pretty big consideration right now in my purchasing decision.

:coffee:

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-23-2012, 05:00 AM
Recluse,

If you can, get your doctor to put you into contact with others who have had the surgery he wants you to get. Or see if you can find folks with similar surgeries in their past here on the internet. Talk to as many of them as you can and find out what the success/failure rate and the level of satisfaction is.

My wife has an ankle that was destroyed in a car wreck. The doctor patched her up and reinforced her ankle with steel pins. She can't dance on that ankle too good, nor ride a bike and sometimes weather changes cause that ankle to ache a bit. But it is much better than the alternative.

I had two surgeries one each on both knees in my late twenties. Those surgeries bought me thirty years of pain free use of those knees. I'm just now starting to have some minor problems with the right knee again, which the doctor told me back then would happen - the problem tissue has grown back and is getting in the joint again. For me, getting rid of what was at that time severe burning was worth it. Getting rid of the pain allowed me to continue with what I was doing in the military for another three years and kept me pain free for thirty. To me, that was worth it.

EMC45
10-23-2012, 12:56 PM
I too have a Lee Classic Cast SS press. I like it a lot. It works very well for pistol. I have it set up for pistol and my RC set up for rifle. It is STOUT and smooth. Works great. I got mine from a guy who quit reloading after about 60 years of reloading. Said his shoulders were shot and he couldn't pull the handle anymore. The Lee was never even mounted to a bench. He had a Lyman that he used. I guess he got the Lee to see if he would favor switching from left to right. He just never used it. BTW I think I did ok for $30?

popper
10-23-2012, 02:26 PM
I like the Lee CC SS. My right shoulder is about to go, again. I can adjust the handle to where it is comfortable, at least for loading ~ 200 rnds. Then I have to take a break. I had a torn rotator, doc also fixed (cut back) the socket ridge that gets stuck on the ball groove. I do a lot of static shoulder exercises. They can micro clean up a lot of calcium growth. Doc told me a few years ago they would only replace my bum knee as I was too old for any other treatment. As long as I don't have to run I'm OK. Good luck with that shoulder.

Rory McCanuck
10-23-2012, 02:29 PM
This is actually a pretty big thing for me. I've got a banged up (right) shoulder ...

(I'd be interested to know from Co-Axe owners how the stroke is--from what I remember, though, the stroke starts off high--which could be problematic).

:coffee:

I've never really understood why people are so hung up about the long stroke
of the Co-ax. For most of the stroke there is no resistance, so I just use the first
couple fingers of my left hand to bring it down to my right hand.
Then my right hand does the heavy work.
For mouth expanding and seating, I usually just choke up on the handle near the
yoke.
The ergonomics are quite different with the Co-ax, but after the "learning curve" it
is really quite comfortable. My shoulder is pretty much ruined too, but the Co-ax
actually seems a bit easier on my shoulder.

ETA: Sorry for the hijack. More on topic, my local Cabela's has a Lee Classic Cast on display.
That handle must get cranked 300x a day, and boy is it smooth.
I think you will be pretty happy with it.