PDA

View Full Version : adjusting 357 Magnum resizing die

ovenledg
10-15-2012, 01:34 PM
I understand that a full length resizing die should be adjusted so that the fired case will be shortened only a minimal amount to increase case life. How is the full length resizing die adjusted for such for a 357 Magnum case, a rimmed cartridge?

oneokie
10-15-2012, 01:54 PM
If the sizing die is a carbide sizer, you adjust the die to where it is within a few thousandths of touching the shell holder. You do not want to be hitting the carbide ring with the shellholder.

If it is a standard steel sizing die, you adjust it to where it touches the shellholder.

And unless I have missed something over the years, full length sizing does not shorten a straight wall cartridge case.

1hole
10-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Size enough of a straight case so it can be easily cambered, going further helps nothing and just shortens the life of the brass.

mdi
10-16-2012, 01:16 PM
I've only sized 18,853 .38 Special cases over a period of 30 years and none have shrunk lengthwise that I could determine. Carbide sizing dies for my .38/357, .44 Special/Magnum are adjusted so there is a few thousandths clearance between die and shell holder with a case in the die (or just barely kissing the shell holder w/o a case in the die). I have been thinking of just sizing a portion (neck sizing) of my .44 Magnum brass to see if I will notice any difference...