PDA

View Full Version : A different relining job.

KCSO
10-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Miracles Take Longer

Well it happened again… A customer came in with Grandfathers gun and needed it fixed, it was illegal. Way back when before 1934 you could buy trapper guns with short barrels and a rifle stock and here it was a Remington rolling block trapper with a 12” barrel.
The current owner wanted it fixed up legal and he wanted a shooting gun AND he wanted to keep the gun as original as possible.
So it was off to the shop where the barrel was quickly separated from the frame and chucked into the lathe. The barrel was faced off at 8” and bored smooth for a liner, but not really a liner…

The stub shank of the barrel bored and faced.

The old barrel would form a stub shank for a new old Remington barrel with the rear half turned into a type of liner. I had a 22 barrel from an old Remington rifle that had about a mint bore and this was also chucked into the lathe and turned in steps to form a liner and extension to the stub shank.

Turning the liner/extension portion of the barrel.
The barrel was turned to a press fit in the shank and both the liner and the stub were degreased and the bore of the liner was plugged. The liner was then coated with Brownell’s Agra-Glass ™ and the liner was pressed into the stub and held true for curing in the lathe.

Two sections of the barrel joined with Acra Glass ™.
While the barrel was curing the action was stripped and cleaned and as it still had 80% of the original case hardened finish under a layer of grease and old paint it was left with the original finish to wait for it’s new barrel.

Althought dirty and paint smeared the original finish is still under there somewhere.
The sections were allowed to cure for 24 hours and then the barrel was turned to the factory taper and cleaned for bluing. The chamber was cut and the rear of the barrel faced off for perfect headspace and the extractor groove was re-cut. The barrel was then assembled onto the frame for test firing. The rifle was now accurate and legal. In addition the repair was barely nooticable even under close inspection.

Where’s the repair?

Right here ,somewhere!
They say the proof of the pudding is in the tasting and the proof of the rifle is in the shooting. Since I can’t do really good work with the crude sights on this little rolling block I clamped the gun in a padded vise and shot it at 20 yards in the shop. The gun shot 3 shots into one hole at that range so it should be good enough for any shooting the owner wants to do.

Remington #6 ready to roll.

The pictures are below.

waksupi
10-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Fun project! Nice job!

Reg
10-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Nice job !!! :drinks:

Had a fellow bring in a #4 Remington years ago in .32 rimfire that had been bobbed a bit too much. Rebarreled it to .22 rimfire and indexed the barrel and turned the shank eccentric to place the firing pin hit at the 6 o'clock position so we didn't have to change the firing pin location.
It too shot very well.
There is always a way to save these old rifles.

[smilie=2:

pietro
10-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks for sharing - It's always a pleasure to rescue an old friend.

MBTcustom
10-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Very nice!
BTW I like your lathe. I didn't know they made such a critter with that short of a barrel. I'll be sure to watch for it in the future.

andremajic
10-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Love it!

MtGun44
10-16-2012, 01:35 AM
Please show a good pic of the 'rolling block' action. Doesn't look like any I have seen
before, want to see what it is, can't quite see from that pic. Always looking for new info.

Bill

John Taylor
10-16-2012, 10:44 AM
There's more than one way to skin... or fix a barrel. I have welded many extensions on barrels and lined full length. With welding there is no line to see if finished properly. Also have done repairs similar to yours by threading the to pieces together. I prefer Loctite to acra glass, for one thing it sets up in a very short time. I get the most pleasure from seeing a happy customer.

swheeler
10-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Nice to put the sweetie back into legal service, where's the repair?:o)

KCSO
10-16-2012, 12:21 PM
1949 South Bend all original with all the acessories and I have the rocker tool posts also. I like old tools.

John, I thought about welding but the fellow wanted original Remington rifling. I was going to thread it but the press fit at the joint seemed to be solid enough for all practical purposes, and it was easier to clock in the front dovetail.

MBTcustom
10-16-2012, 01:18 PM
1949 South Bend all original with all the acessories and I have the rocker tool posts also. I like old tools.
I'm with ya. Mine is a 1954 Leblond. They just don't make 'em like that anymore eh?

dk17hmr
10-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Was the original barrel cut off at 12" of did it leave the factory like that? If it was factory original I believe it would still be legal without any paperwork, I saw a Winchester lever action trapper that left the factory with a 12" (?) From the 30's that was legal to buy with no extra paperwork.

KCSO
10-16-2012, 04:19 PM
At this stage of the game how are you going to prove it? I don't want to argue the matter with BATF i don't want any short rifles in here period. I wouldn't even keep the frame in the shop until the barrel was lenghtened.

Mooseman
10-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Well , A lot of valuable Winchesters have been ruined this same way...I wish people would do some research before they do this.
Certain "trapper model" rifles originally factory-made before 1934 with barrels under 16 inches have similarly been removed from federal SBR restriction (the BATFE publishes a Curios and Relics List of models and serial number ranges). While SBRs on the Curio & Relic List are not "firearms" regulated under the 1934 National Firearms Act, they are still "firearms" regulated by the 1968 Gun Control Act.

A quick call to BATFE would have confirmed this , and very valuable rifles could be preserved. Value runs from a 10% shape low of 1000 to a high of 12,000 depending on condition.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/update-january-2009-june-2010.html

geargnasher
10-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Nice job !!! :drinks:

Had a fellow bring in a #4 Remington years ago in .32 rimfire that had been bobbed a bit too much. Rebarreled it to .22 rimfire and indexed the barrel and turned the shank eccentric to place the firing pin hit at the 6 o'clock position so we didn't have to change the firing pin location.
It too shot very well.
There is always a way to save these old rifles.

[smilie=2:

I did just exactly that to an old #4 take-down version in .32 rimfire, I chopped off the wallowed-out barrel tang and recut it with a jewler's saw and file on the correct eccentric to drop the chamber enough in the action to line up with the firing pin again. John Taylor shared some tricks to hiding the crown line. I bored the old barrel out with a 12"x 5/16" non-piloted drill bit and hand drill and installed a .3125" OD .22 liner. The hard part for me was TiG welding the extractor and filing it down again to work with the .22 rim. I used the chambering reamer to cut the rim recess in the extractor. Always good to see someone else with the same idea I had, it worked great.

Gear

NoZombies
10-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Please show a good pic of the 'rolling block' action. Doesn't look like any I have seen
before, want to see what it is, can't quite see from that pic. Always looking for new info.

Bill

It's a remington #6. made in .22 and .32 rimfire.