PDA

View Full Version : Best GLOCK aftermarket barrel for cast?

GARCIA
10-15-2012, 08:49 AM
What would be the best GLOCK aftermarket barrel for shooting cast?

Youngest son has a GLOCK 20 and I would like to pick him up an aftermarket barrel as a xmas present.

Toom

EdS
10-15-2012, 09:34 AM
I have a KKM Precision that I use with cast in my Glock 34. It fits perfectly and is very accurate with both cast and Js. -Ed

Roundnoser
10-15-2012, 10:12 AM
The Glock 20 is a 10mm, yes?

Just my experience: I purchased a Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock 22 and found the tolerances to be extremely tight. It was a real pain to get the ammo just right.

I used a Dillon check guage to check the ammo and it all passed. BUT, some of those rounds would not seat in the chamber. -- I could have sent the barrel back to LW to have it opened up a little, but it would have cost me more money.

In fairness, I have a LW barrel on my G-34 that works just fine.

exile
10-15-2012, 10:27 AM
I would recommend Storm Lake without hesitation. Glockworld seems to have the best prices on them. In the past I have experienced a wait time when ordering, but trust me it is well worth your time to wait.

exile

HATCH
10-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Isn't glockworld no longer in business?

bobthenailer
10-15-2012, 10:59 AM
KKM or Stormlake barrels are the best in that order

Moondawg
10-15-2012, 11:30 AM
I have had really good luck with Storm Lake barrels in Glock 19, 17, 34 and 22. I shoot mostly cast in my glocks, which is why I have the Storm Lake barrels. BTW, Storm Lake barrels, in my pistols at least, have been accurate with J-word bullets.

garym1a2
10-15-2012, 07:28 PM
I have good results with storm lake in nine and 40.
My younger brother loves KKM.

barrybrice
10-15-2012, 07:38 PM
I heard that Bar-Sto was one I'd the best so I have one of them on order for my G34. I am seven weeks into my order. I heard it can take three plus months before I get the call to send them my pistol to have it custom fitted.

Ed_Shot
10-15-2012, 08:56 PM
I have a one week old Glock 22 with a Lone Wolf barrel. I use Lee's 401-175-TC sized to .402 with a COAL of 1.100. I crimp to .422. Perfect function very accurate and no leading.

L Ross
10-15-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't know which is best. I bought a KKM for my Model 21 and it feeds 452424's. I was pleasantly surprised, during the process of testing for function I had 10 holes touching at 10 yards. I had loaded that ammo for a conversion revolver cylinder in 45 acp with a hefty charge of Unique and really didn't expect them to function in a Glock.

Duke

aa1911
10-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Bar Sto is king I believe, price reflects that also.

I've got a LW and it's very tight; will be doing some sanding in the chamber to open her up a bit.

heard good things about storm lake barrels also.

jrayborn
10-16-2012, 09:13 PM
I for one prefer the factory Glock barrel in my 36, 30, 22. and 17's.

Lloyd Smale
10-17-2012, 04:45 AM
Bought a wolf barrel for my 23 and 20 and found that both actually shoot better with the barrel the factory used.

mtnman31
10-17-2012, 09:42 AM
I have a Bar-Sto (bought from a member here) in my G21 (.45acp) that works great. I shoot cast almost exclusively with a few plated bullets in the mix. It works fantastic and even though it was a semi-drop in barrel it only took a few minutes with file and stone to fit it to the slide.

I'd highly recommend the Bar-Sto.

EMC45
10-17-2012, 03:19 PM
I use a factory barrel in my 36. Works great. No leading.

Hammerhead
10-17-2012, 05:08 PM
I've had two KKM barrels for Glocks. Never shot lead in them, but the bores were the smoothest I've ever seen for cut rifling. That's where I would start.

Jailer
10-17-2012, 09:49 PM
I have a Bar-Sto (bought from a member here) in my G21 (.45acp) that works great. I shoot cast almost exclusively with a few plated bullets in the mix. It works fantastic and even though it was a semi-drop in barrel it only took a few minutes with file and stone to fit it to the slide.

I'd highly recommend the Bar-Sto.

I think you got that from me IIRC.

I've owned Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, KKM and the previously mentioned Bar Sto. I have the KKM in my 21 currently and love it. The Bar Sto was a back order item that I forgot that I had ordered and I sold it when it shipped to me. I never shot it but the rifling and machining was absolutely phenomenal on it.

KKM and Bar Sto are the only two I would ever consider purchasing again.

fish0123
10-17-2012, 09:54 PM
My glock 30 seems to work great with the glock barrel. I have shot thousands of cast boolits thru it, never had a problem.

deerslayer
10-17-2012, 09:59 PM
I am a factory barrel guy too. My 21 has had thousands of cast through it and no leading if sized properly!

jrayborn
02-23-2020, 09:03 PM
If you are looking for an upgrade in relation to accuracy, Wilson sells an oversize barrel that when fit tight is very accurate.

Thin Man
02-23-2020, 09:41 PM
I have an early Glock 20 that has the original over-ramped factory barrel. Have fired 2 magazines of factory ammo through it and all of the brass was immediately relegated to the scrap bin. I started searching for all the options in replacement barrels and reading everything I could find about them. Somehow in this search I stumbled onto a summary description of a handgun match where all of the shooters were firing 10 mm pistols. There were about 30 shooters in this match and all but 3 were using KKM barrels. For my purposes the replacement barrel I will buy must have the following features: (1) reliability, and (2) accuracy. These are the must-have features I require, in the order listed.
The match shooters required the same, and their choices showed wisdom from the results of the match. That match summary settled the choice for me, now to wait for the funds to buy this barrel after all the other projects have been paid off.

Tom W.
02-24-2020, 12:24 AM
If your boolits fit properly you don't need one. Get him a good holster instead.

Greg G
02-24-2020, 03:56 AM
Bar-Sto is the company I would buy from. Have 3 barrels from them and they are great. On my Model 20 I considered a KKM because i had read so many good things. I asked about their throat diameter on their Model 20 barrel. They refused to answer.

Irv Stone III personally answered my request. .4015". Bought that and it shoots great with cast boolits sized at .4015".

Buy the Bar-Sto.

ioon44
02-24-2020, 12:47 PM
I have a Bar-Sto barrel in .357 SIG that I use in an older Glock 22 it has always worked fine. I tried a Lone Wolf .40 S&W barrel for my Glock 22 it had a really short throat and the factory barrel worked better.

Sig556r
02-24-2020, 01:43 PM
Factory barrels are a bit forgiving that precision after-market barrels (Bar-Sto, Wilson, KKM or even LW, among others) due to tight chambers, especially if shooting 147g to 160g.
I PC & slug my barrels to size my CBs just a tad oversized, no barrel-leading issue for either stock or aftermarket.
However, same method when shooting suppressed, leaves lead residue both on barrel (close to muzzle) & can. I only shoot plated or J's suppressed for now until I find a workable recipe. Getting lead out of a can is no fun.

Idaho45guy
02-27-2020, 01:58 AM
This is perhaps the oldest zombie thread I've seen revived on here. Eight years old!

I don't think the OP is still looking for a barrel to buy his son for Christmas, especially since he hasn't been active since 2013, so...

bobthenailer
02-28-2020, 11:00 AM
My shooting buddy has had about 5 KKM barrels all were top notch
He had a Lone Wolf very disappointed.

Idaho45guy
02-28-2020, 11:36 AM
My shooting buddy has had about 5 KKM barrels all were top notch
He had a Lone Wolf very disappointed.

I've purchased three aftermarket barrels for Glock pistols. A KKM, a Storm Lake, and a Lone Wolf. The KKM was top notch and what I expected. The Lone Wolf had mediocre accuracy and I ended up sending it back. It was returned a couple of weeks later dirty and with no explanation as to what they fixed, but it was very accurate when it came back.

The Storm Lake barrel was horribly inaccurate and they refused to even try to make it right. I sent it to a gunsmith on here who tried to fix it and it came back still inaccurate. Storm Lake barrels are garbage, in my opinion.

RydForLyf
02-28-2020, 01:49 PM
I've purchased three aftermarket barrels for Glock pistols. A KKM, a Storm Lake, and a Lone Wolf. The KKM was top notch and what I expected. The Lone Wolf had mediocre accuracy and I ended up sending it back. It was returned a couple of weeks later dirty and with no explanation as to what they fixed, but it was very accurate when it came back.

The Storm Lake barrel was horribly inaccurate and they refused to even try to make it right. I sent it to a gunsmith on here who tried to fix it and it came back still inaccurate. Storm Lake barrels are garbage, in my opinion.

So first you tried to kill off the revival of a zombie thread but then I guess you decided "If you can't beat them, join them."