PDA

View Full Version : 00 Buck

Fla9-40
10-14-2012, 09:21 PM
I made up a bunch of 00 buck this weekend and thought about a post where I read a caster put his buckshot in a container and added some pencil lead refills and let it roll around in the back of their truck for about a week. They said they only put one or two refill sticks in with it for it does not take much. Well in my hast to hurry up the process I put the container wrapped up in a bunch of old towels in the drier (air only) and turned it on for about 30 minutes. Well I also must have put twice the amount of lead in because the came out black and VERY dull looking! Their nice and round with the sprue marks all gone just dull as all get out.

Will this hurt or affect their accuracy because of so much lead graphite on them?

Sorry for the long winded explanation here!

aa1911
10-14-2012, 09:35 PM
nope, in fact it's probably a good thing. Won't make much, if any, difference but they're fine to shoot!

I put mine in the tumbler last time, worked OK. I think letting them roll around the car is a good method though.

Fla9-40
10-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks for info aa1911, I thought as much but did want to check it out first... Man them some UGLY buckshot now! :lol:

Thanks again!

John in WI
10-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Hi Fla-40. I tried the tumbled-graphite treatment on my 0 and F buckshots.

It did turn them a nice grey, but didn't do much to round out the sprues.

I am wondering--you cast yours from something soft? Mine were WW with a bit of linotype and tin added. So they are really hard! I think too hard for the tumbling to smoosh the defects back in to place.

I think the fact that they are EVENLY dimpled from the tumbling (no flat spots from sprues...) they are going to fly great! I wish mine responded that way to tumbling!

Fla9-40
10-16-2012, 10:27 PM
I cast mine from lead from High Voltage cable - PILC - which is Paper Insulated Lead Cable. This stuff is REAL soft, in fact its off the scale of the Lee BNC tester so I think its pure lead!

wonderwolf
10-16-2012, 10:28 PM
I tumble mine for hours, sometimes with graphite sometimes without, they turn out very dull all the time though, then get hit with LLA

I make about 200 lbs of buckshot a year now all of it "OO"something to be said about only having to pay $0.16 a round to make it yourself :)

Fla9-40
10-16-2012, 10:31 PM
I was just going to ask about the LLA, I read some people only use this for their BS lube

shotman
10-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Drier??? when is the divorce final???

JIMinPHX
10-17-2012, 06:05 AM
I found that slightly deformed buckshot patterned just as well as round ones did. I used powdered graphite from the locksmith shop to lube mine. The powder doesn't take very long to mix in.

Fla9-40
10-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Drier??? when is the divorce final???

:-D I'm lucky, it was final in '06 :drinks: