PDA

View Full Version : Correct Handed Browning A-Bolt

RED333
10-14-2012, 09:03 PM
I found this on another forum and picked it up today. Got it home and ran 4 rounds
(no scope) just to see how it shot, MAN O MAN, sweet, the 7mm Rem mag kicks less that My Saiga .308 with a brake on. Sorry for the bad pic, rings came with the rifle.
I dont think I can cast a boolit hard enough to go 3000 fps, but I have been wrong before and will be wrong again. I have been shooting something most of my life and this is the FIRST left hand rifle I have owned, I BE VERY HAPPY!!!

Doc Highwall
10-14-2012, 09:28 PM
So you are saying you are in your right mind?
I shoot left handed also due to being blind in my right eye.

RED333
10-14-2012, 09:40 PM
So you are saying you are in your right mind?

Well yea, what else is there.[smilie=w:.

I'll Make Mine
10-14-2012, 11:20 PM
I dont think I can cast a boolit hard enough to go 3000 fps, but I have been wrong before and will be wrong again.

I'm told that with the right load, a paper patched bullet cast from wheel weights can go that fast -- zero leading and it'll polish the bore for you, while you're at it. Patching a 7 mm boolit might be an exercise in dexterity, but maybe you can get you kids or grandkids to do 'em for you... [smilie=1:

starmac
10-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Sorry for the bad pic????? What is wrong with the pic. Most pics I see have the bolt on the wrong side of the gun, at least yours is on the right side. lol

RED333
10-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Sorry for the bad pic????? What is wrong with the pic. Most pics I see have the bolt on the wrong side of the gun, at least yours is on the right side. lol

Sir, That be the LEFT side.

starmac
10-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Sir, That be the LEFT side.

Yea, but it is also the right side. lol

RED333
10-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Correct you are.

Jack Stanley
10-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Enjoy you rifle sir , being a fellow lefty I can appreciate having the correct rifle ;-)

Jack

Boerrancher
10-23-2012, 05:46 AM
That is just a great looking gun. I always did like the looks of an A-Bolt, but back in the day when I had the money to buy one, I never did. I am glad you found one with the bolt handle on the proper side for your shooting style. As for running cast boolits in it, If you focus more on a tough alloy than a super hard one, and can make your own gas check out of a .012 to .015 soft copper or aluminum, and use the right lube you may be surprised at how close you can get to that 3000 fps mark. I personally would go for a heavier boolit and the 2700 fps mark, but that is just me.

In all honesty, when I was younger and did a lot of bench rest shooting, I preferred a Left handed bolt gun. Just like the south paw that I shot with when shooting off the bench liked the Right handed bolt guns. I guess when one grows up having access to and shooting both, it doesn't become much of a handy cap. That is another great gift given to me by my father. He made sure that what ever I could do with my right hand I could also do with my left.

Best wishes,

Joe

southpaw
10-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Nice score! The biggest problem that I had when I got my first left handed rifle was finding the bolt. I kept bringing the rifle down and reaching on the wrong side for the bolt. Took a little while but I got used to it. I like shooting lighter lead loads out of my 338 wm during the summer for practice. Fun and cheap.

Jerry Jr.

Lefty SRH
10-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Very nice, nothing like owning a rifle that FITS! I currently have a Savage .308 for sale because I'm tired of fighting the RH bolt. Sad thing is it shoots quite well. Once it sells it will be replaced with a LH rifle in .308.

RED333
10-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys, Lefty SRH, I am wanting an AR in .308, but if I am gona pay that much for one it will be a lefty

Jailer
10-24-2012, 09:17 PM
I have the right handed (correct :D) version of the same gun. It is a fantastic shooter and one of my favorite guns. Bought it 20 years ago with a Weaver 4x scope for $350.

RED333
10-27-2012, 10:28 PM
So I have this new to me rifle and want to make it "Mine".
Richards Microfit Gunstocks
Found these guys and ordered one of their Wildcat Style Thumbhole stocks.
I ordered it in Black Widow Laminate.
After much fitting, sanding and 1 coat of Tung Oil, this is what I have.
"My Browning A-Bolt in 7mm REM MAG"
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/redintn/Left%20handed%207mm%20mag/mycorrecthanded7mmmag.jpg
I am gona put on a few more coats.

RED333
11-03-2012, 10:13 AM
So no one like my new stock, it all good.
I do get the idear most on the forum like factory fit and finish, thats OK,
to each their own.
I did not build this rifle for yall to shoot or like, just me.
My Son dont like it ether, as He shoots right handed.
Now to work up a load.
I have picked a few J-words of diff weights, some Reload22 powder,
now the fun part.

Elkins45
11-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Congrats on your find. I'm gradually replacing all my factory RH guns with lefties. I was talking to a guy at the range yesterday who said he wouldn't buy LH guns because of their resale value. I told him I didn't care how much my wife gets when she sells them, because I'm never planning to let them go.

The only RH guns I plan to keep are family heirlooms and stuff I can't get in LH like my 98 Mausers.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-03-2012, 09:08 PM
"Correct handed."???????????????

Hmmmmmmmm. In reality, it's like I tell my brother in law, lefties ain't got no rights! :bigsmyl2:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

RED333
11-03-2012, 10:19 PM
"Correct handed."???????????????

Hmmmmmmmm. In reality, it's like I tell my brother in law, lefties ain't got no rights! :bigsmyl2:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

That is very good, I am gona steal that one. :-D

Heavy lead
11-03-2012, 10:40 PM
So no one like my new stock, it all good.
I do get the idear most on the forum like factory fit and finish, thats OK,
to each their own.
I did not build this rifle for yall to shoot or like, just me.
My Son dont like it ether, as He shoots right handed.
Now to work up a load.
I have picked a few J-words of diff weights, some Reload22 powder,
now the fun part.

I'm no fan of the looks of a thumbhole, but I bit on one earlier this year and it is the most comfortable, recoil dampening, well fitting and ergonomic stock I have out of the 15 some bolt guns I have now, it's a red laminate as well.
Reloader 22 is one of my favorites for the 7 mag and others, bet you have a shooter on your hands when you are all done.

RED333
11-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Heavy, I have shot thumb holes before, not mine, over the years and it is very easy on the recoil. My 7mm is so light on the recoil, more of a "push" than a smack. I have a Saiga in .308
with a recoil brake and the S.308 smacks harder than my 7mm. I have only shot 140 gran factory loads so far, waiting to see how a heaver load works and its recoil.
As far as a shooter, all I can do is hope, but I feel it will be a good one.

RED333
11-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Well I got out on my range and did a little shooting, single bag under the forarm just in front of the mag door. 75 yards, factory ammo, 140 gran core-lokt "managed recoil" round.
Cheap scope I had around 9-25x50.
The tag is 2"x3", the hole in red is a sight round, the yellow in a bounce back off my back stop.
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/redintn/Left%20handed%207mm%20mag/2x4tag75yrds.jpg
This tag is 3.5"x4".
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/redintn/Left%20handed%207mm%20mag/35x4tag75yrds.jpg
This is my backstop, a piece on 3/4 steel.
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/redintn/Left%20handed%207mm%20mag/backstop75thick2.jpg
Close up of what my 7mm is doing to the steel.
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/redintn/Left%20handed%207mm%20mag/backstop75thick.jpg