PDA

View Full Version : Help with these items!

speck
10-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Hello all I am new to here, I was hoping that some of you guys that are into reloading and have been for some time now can give me an idea about these items and if they carry any value to them, I will answer any question to the best of my ability and take more pictures if needed. I look forward to hearing what you have to say.
I have more pictures but it will not let me upload them I can email them ifthat will help!

speck
10-14-2012, 08:48 PM
the powder has been stored ina cool dry storage box, and the tops and bottom of them are metal the rest is paper where te writting is and all are still sealed with gun powder in them! the boxes of ammo are still sealed and in great shape.

Alvarez Kelly
10-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Yes. They have some value. You can't legally MAIL any of them.

These would best be sold or traded locally.

Where are you?

speck
10-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Yes. They have some value. You can't legally MAIL any of them.

These would best be sold or traded locally.

Where are you?
I live in georgia, just not sure about the value of them and not 100% sure I want to sell them

speck
10-14-2012, 09:01 PM
I live in georgia, just not sure about the value of them and not 100% sure I want to sell them

I also have 4 cans that look to be the same age just could not upload thepictres

soli
10-14-2012, 09:14 PM
That looks like some of the items I picked up last Sunday.

wv109323
10-14-2012, 09:38 PM
The new today's price for primers is around $30-34.00 per thousand. You may get around $25.00 per thousand if they appear usable.
New Powder is $20 -24.00 per pound. I can't make out if your powder is current. Many powders are replaced or no longer made. If the powder is not being currently used reloading info may be hard to find. I would think around $10.00 per pound. If someone can use it they will buy it at that price. Again that is if the powder is usable.
The match ammo would appeal to a collector. Sixty rounds is not enough for a shooter to latch onto. You may get 15-20.00 per box from a collector.
The prices I have given are the tops I would pay for what I see.

speck
10-14-2012, 09:39 PM
That looks like some of the items I picked up last Sunday.

Any info would help value and if they would still be good?

speck
10-14-2012, 09:40 PM
The new today's price for primers is around $30-34.00 per thousand. You may get around $25.00 per thousand if they appear usable.
New Powder is $20 -24.00 per pound. I can't make out if your powder is current. Many powders are replaced or no longer made. If the powder is not being currently used reloading info may be hard to find. I would think around $10.00 per pound. If someone can use it they will buy it at that price. Again that is if the powder is usable.
The match ammo would appeal to a collector. Sixty rounds is not enough for a shooter to latch onto. You may get 15-20.00 per box from a collector.
The prices I have given are to tops I would pay for what I see.

Thank you for your help! the powder has been stored for a long time in a sealed box and a dark room.

Recluse
10-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Vintage guns have great value. Vintage reloading equipment is often sold for ridiculous amounts on Ebay.

But vintage reloading components actually have less value--and what you have are OLD reloading components. I haven't seen that CCI packaging since the 70's, and the powders may very well be older than that.

I will tell you straight up that I wouldn't give you anything for the powders. I'm talking about I wouldn't even give you .25¢ a pound. Powders are not light sensitive, so being stored in a dark room means nothing. We have a stickie here on what old/bad powder looks like and often times you can't tell until you've opened up the container.

Primers might be a little more stable, but given the fact that I can buy brand new primers, guaranteed to have been produced within the past twenty-four months or so, there is zero reason for me to waste money on components of which I have no guarantee as to how they'll perform.

For one, there is a danger/safety aspect.

For two, I handload to increase the accuracy of my firearms. To do that, I need known quality and old vintage components that have not been in my direct care/possession cannot guarantee that.

Hope I'm not bursting a bubble or expectations that you have stuff worth a lot of money. You don't. I've got some OLD stuff around my reloading bench, but the only value they have is to bring back some nostalgic memories of times me and my dad reloaded together.

:coffee:

LUBEDUDE
10-15-2012, 12:23 AM
I agree with Recluse 100%.

In my mind, the primers might be worth just $2-$3 pack just to put on the bench or shelf for nostalgia. And maybe $5 for a can of powder, just for the can.

waksupi
10-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Old unknown powder, I would fertilize the lawn. If you didn't buy it, and know it's history, it is hard to tell what is REALLY in those cans. It could blow up real good.

HARRYMPOPE
10-15-2012, 01:03 AM
I shoot primers older than that all of the time.The powder if it doesn't have powdery rust from bad storage or smell acrid it is fine.The problem is you have to know what a particular powder looks like as it may be not what came in it originally.

George

Roundnoser
10-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I had 1K of CCI primers like those in your pictures. They were manufactured in the late 70s - early 80's...cant recall exactly. They all fired just fine....no misfires at all.

I agree with the others about the powder...If you don't know where it comes from, dump it! The tins might be worth a few bucks, but for the trouble of selling them, it might just look better displayed on your shelf.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

EMC45
10-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Where in Ga are you?

speck
10-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Where in Ga are you?

EMC45 shoot me a pm!

speck
10-16-2012, 03:15 PM
thanks for all the input and help!

Casper29
10-17-2012, 03:55 PM
I belive you can mail those items, but its a real pain, you have to use ups or fed ex, ground only and then you have to pay a hefty haz mat fee.