PDA

View Full Version : Input before test fire on 7.62 x 25 w/cut .223 and sized .32's

KaliforniaRebel
10-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Not too many people play with Tok rounds, so I cut, crimped, reamed and trimmed .223 brass then cast .32's and sized them to .311 and pressed 'em in.

Boolits are 97.5 gr. LRN quenched WW w/a crimp. On test fitting with dummy rounds I couldn't get them to chamber at anything over 1.225 OAL so unfortunatly that's what these are at. Load data being sparse indicated load data of anything over 100 gr to use AA#9 (all of which is for FMJ). To stay away from overloading, I ran 10.5 of AA#9 for just these.

Two things concern me:

1. Is the OAL too short? If it is, they're not going to the range.

2. is 10.5 of AA#9 too much for a 98 gr. boolit? If so, same thing as above.

These are staying home until I'm sure it's good to go. Just milsurp till then.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad120/Swagman00/20121014_154129_zpsc32f6c99.jpg

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad120/Swagman00/20121014_154216_zps90dca11c.jpg

I'll Make Mine
10-14-2012, 11:03 PM
They look very good (if stubby), but I know nothing about Tokarev loads.

Generally, lead bullets will run lower pressure than same weight and bearing area jacketed, because lubed lead has lower barrel friction than dry gilding metal; given you're using data for 100+ grain jacketed bullets, these should be fine unless the bullet protrudes inside significantly past the base of the neck.

KaliforniaRebel
10-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Silly me. I should have used the search function to find more information on the Tok reloading. :mrgreen:

Found this and learned some cool things from Mac60. JHeath also brought up some great points on the OD of the Boolit too. With the .311 drops I get from the mold, I'm going to try and size them with a .308 Winchester sizing die so they sit at .309 instead of .311. If they fit without having to ream the recut .223 brass, I can skip a whole step from reloading. Looks like he can chamber a boolit with a 1.268 OAL as well. Amazing.

This was a great line I didn't even think about from JHeath: "The jacketed bullets in milsurp ammo measure .307"

Why didn't I think to measure the milsup I have? :killingpc This makes perfect sense to size the boolit to .309 for .002 over.

No telling how either will do for accuracy though.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=166802&highlight=tokarev

JHeath
10-15-2012, 12:43 PM
I can't take credit for that line about milsurp. I have a slowly-advancing project to ream my Tok's chamber neck to .340 with a valve-guide reamer, and use .313 boolits. I'm also planning to bore the chamber neck deeper than standard, and leave the 5.56/reformed case necks very long to support the boolit. The typical Tok problem is that the bore is oversize compared to the chamber neck. We can't reduce the bore to .308 so instead I'm making the chamber .340. That should allow for a .313 boolit, .003 neck-to-chamber clearance, and up to .012 neck thickness.

The reamer was $23 on ebay so it seems like a good deal, unless I mutilate the pistol trying it and find it doesn't work. Sorry I can't post results because I'm puttering with this gradually.

A related problem with M57s is that some don't want to manually eject loaded rounds because the ejector lug on the left rail of the fire control group seems to extend too far forward. Mine is like this, and probably won't eject the over-length cases I plan on making, unless I file/grind the lug back in very small increments until it works. Since Toks throw brass too far anyway, I think grinding back that lug will be okay.