PDA

View Full Version : need a custom mold

selph arms llc
10-14-2012, 05:27 PM
I am looking for a company that can take a cad file and make me a mold any suggestions would be great. I als=most for got this is going to be a BIG bullet
600-620 grain.

Thanks

shooter93
10-14-2012, 07:18 PM
If Tom at Accurate Molds can make that size you will never go wrong using him. His work is pretty much perfection.

selph arms llc
10-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Thanks!!! I will give them a call.

MikeS
10-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Brad: I have a question for you, seeing as how you chose to register here as a company, rather than as an individual, it brings up the question, are you looking for somebody to makeup A single mould for you, or are you looking for a manufacturer to make up 50 or 100 of these moulds for you? If you're looking for a single mould, you can't beat Accurate Molds, but if you're looking for a quantity of moulds, then you might be better served contacting NOE, and see if he can squeeze you into his schedule. I say this because AM is setup more for doing one offs, whereas NOE is more setup for production. There are other mould makers on the forum, that have as yet announced their mould making abilities, that if you are in fact looking for a production order might be interested in doing such for you, so if that is your intention (and I'm not saying that in a negative way) then I think you might get better response if you make that clear. Also, keep checking for PM's as some of them might not want to start a business negotiation on an open forum.

Another suggestion (I'm full of them!) is, if you're planning on joining this forum as an individual person, not a company, you might be better off changing your username to something more personal, even maybe just 'Selph', including the 'arms llc' just seems to depersonalize it a bit. But that's just my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it. :)

turbo1889
10-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks!!! I will give them a call.

Tom doesn't talk on the phone via. his FAQ due to being partially deaf. E-mail is the way to go with him.

www.accuratemolds.com

tom@accuratemolds.com

semtav
10-17-2012, 11:11 PM
most for got this is going to be a BIG bullet
600-620 grain.

Thanks

Doesn't look like Tom would make that big of a mould.

Overall bullet length no greater than 1.375 inches.

turbo1889
10-18-2012, 05:07 AM
He didn't state the caliber of the intended mold only the weight. Tom cuts stuff up to 73-caliber (12ga.) size. If he is talking a 50-caliber or larger boolit that weight is easily reachable within 1.375" length. I agree though that for smaller calibers he might need to look elsewhere but very few cartridges smaller then 50-caliber can handle a boolit that heavy anyway.

The heaviest boolit that is a current cataloged design at AM is the #73-1050 which is over a thousand grains in weight. The heaviest 50-cal. rifle boolit currently in the AM catalog is the #51-720W and the heaviest 45-cal. rifle boolit in the AM catalog is the #46-550M which although not quite as heavy as the OP is asking about certainly ain't no lightweight and with the #46-510P you can even get a nice streamlined nose in a very hefty weight boolit.

Long story short, that length is actually quite a bit to work with and you can get some darn heavy boolits provided you aren't talking calibers smaller then 45-cal. rifle but the applications for a boolit that heavy in any smaller caliber are few and far between anyway. Although I do admit they certainly do exist such as the the name of that cartridge that I can't remember that is the 50-BMG necked down to take use a 416 boolit where a very heavy boolit longer then 1.375" would certainly be desirable just don't think very many people are loading cast boolits for cartridges like that.