PDA

View Full Version : Sporty Mosin Nagant (Kind of)

Fly
10-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Well I'm a guy that's not big on sportiizing ole Military guns.But I have a not rare 91/30 laminated
Mosin Nagant I'm going to do a little too.I ordered a pistol scout scope for it.I plan on making a carbine
out of this bad boy & installing a muzzle break on her.

But she will always sport her military wood stock.I may put a real pine tar finish on the stock.I maybe also rust blue her.I will most likely do a deal on what I
did with pic's here.

Fly:razz:

I'll Make Mine
10-14-2012, 11:10 PM
You're going to have to cut back that military stock a bit if you shorten the barrel enough to call the rifle a carbine. My 91/30 has only about three inches of barrel past the toe cap on the forearm. Then you'll have to think about what to do with the forward dog collar port, since you'll probably wind up cutting it off -- and you'll lose the front ring mount, so probably have to take off the hand guard.

If you want to keep it military looking, just put the scope on and leave the barrel alone (drive the front sight out if it's getting into the scope's view and distracting you). If you want to shorten it to a carbine, get a carbine stock for it instead of cutting down the original.

Just my opinion, of course; it's your rifle, and they literally made millions of 'em...

303Guy
10-15-2012, 12:53 AM
Fly, what part of the world are you in? I ask because a 'mini-suppressor' would do the job and reduce muzzle blast.

Fly
10-15-2012, 12:15 PM
303 How you doing my friend.I'm the guy that sent you GRIT's from the USA.
I don't think any suppressors are legal here.

Fly

I'll Make Mine
10-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Anyone can own and use a suppressor in the US -- providing they have the correct FFL and pay a $500 tax per unit when purchased or assembled. Seems kind of silly on a $120 rifle...

leadman
10-19-2012, 05:27 AM
Not sure if suppressors are legal everwhere in the US. The tax stamp fee is $200, been checking it since here in AZ we can now hunt with them on a firearm.
A suppressor can be moved from one gun to another as long as the bore and suppressor size are compatable.
I had a MN that I put the cheap aluminum pistol scope mount on and had issues with it. The aluminum was not strong enough and would bend when trying to tighten the screws.
Hope your works better.

Mooseman
10-19-2012, 05:45 AM
Only 9 or 10 states do NOT allow silencers at all...Kommiefornia, New York, illinois, Minnesota, Vermont,Massachusetts,Delaware, Rhode Island and Hawaii as I recall.
Many that allow silences do Not allow hunting with them.
Some of the scout scope cheap mounts are Garbage with a capitol G. One of the best ones wraps around the barrel shank between it and the stock and is solid.
The aluminum one that replaces the rear sight and pins in is Junk. Some Mosins have a dovetailed sight mount and if you are able to remove the sight assy you can buy 1 inch rings that will lock into it for a solid mount, some sights are pinned and soldered so it can be a job to remove one off the base.
A Mosin Sniper rifle is a much better investment and designed to use a scope and usually a more accurate rifle Than a rack grade battle rifle.
I dont recommend doing anything that cant be reversed because Future value will be affected just like all them sporterized 03 Springfields that are now worth 1/2 or less of an Original in as built shape...or drilled and tapped M1 carbines that may bring 1/2 price if you are lucky.98 Mausers,Garands, etc all used to be cheap and plentiful and look where they are now..

halbautomatisch
10-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Only 9 or 10 states do NOT allow silencers at all...Kommiefornia, New York, illinois, Minnesota, Vermont,Massachusetts,Delaware, Rhode Island and Hawaii as I recall.
Last count I believe was 11 states, you need to add New Jersey and Iowa to your list

Mooseman
10-19-2012, 03:21 PM
I forgot those 2...

wallenba
10-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Sounds a lot like the one I made a while back. I actually moved the dog collar slot and band retainer down the stock. It takes careful work to get it right. The forestock needs to be narrowed, as it tapers, and the band may not fit otherwise. An M38 cleaning rod was used. Here's a link to that thread with pics. #25 shows the finished carbine. The upper handguard brass endcap was not as hard to make as you might think. JB weld was used to retain it and the dog collar escuthcheons.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=138711

What I've learned since then, is that it is WAYYY easier to scrape the finish off than use stripper.

Fly
10-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Ya that is pretty much how I plan on doing mine.But I,m putting a pine tar finnish like a Finn
& rust blueing the metal.I just got my scout scope yester day.I will post pic's.

Fly

Spector
10-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Add Indiana to the list of states that do not allow hunting using a sound suppressor......Mike