View Full Version : Did Sears sell Marlins under their name ?

Johnch
06-02-2007, 05:25 PM
I stoped into a gunshop on my way home last night from work , just before he closed up
They had a older 35 Rem Lever gun on the shelf , at least thats what I was told .
Didn't have time to look at it close up , but I was told it was a Marlin sold by Sears
From 5' , it looked clean , probely 90%+

No price on it

I am going back Monday to take a closer look

Did Marlin make rifles sold by Sears ?

Were they standard rifling or Micro grove rifling ?

[smilie=1: Like I need another lever gun [smilie=1:

John

45nut
06-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Sears bought guns from anybody and everybody to sell, FN, Winchester, Marlin , H&R...et all.

I can't help you on the rifling type as much as a look down the barrel will, don't be scared away from buying a micro-groove though since plenty here have made them shoot lead quite well.

Winger Ed.
06-02-2007, 05:43 PM
I may be all wet on this,

But I think they did under the Glenfield label.
You used to see the company name as Marlin Glenfield in the old days.

When you saw them or what looked like a Marlin with a store name on it, they were like a cheaper version of the Marlin, not quite as 'slick' I guess you'd say.
And, they were priced noticebly less than a 'real' Marlin.

S.R.Custom
06-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Sears sold guns made by everybody. If you want to see just what all came with the sears label on it, go to GunBroker.com and do a search with the keyword "Sears."

crazy mark
06-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Usually Sears had the JC Higgens name with a 106.xxx model number or something like that. Mossberg also made a lever action that looked like a marlin with side ejection and Coast to Coast, Wards and Sears also sold some of those. Most of the Sears I have seen were Micro groove as were the Wards also. Some body also used Ted Williams name on the Lever actions. Mark

Duckiller
06-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Sears used Ted Williams on Win94. #2 son has one, Model 100 .

Bret4207
06-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Yup. Ted Williams. Had a Ted Williams '94 Win, a couple TW fishing rods + reels, and currently have a TW trolling motor. TW and I go way back. Good memories of the old Sears catalogs where you could get everything from new school shoes to traps to a short block for your truck.

Oddly, we had tO get a new dryer yesterday and went to Sears. Must have got the last traditional Sears salesman left. Other than a really bad cOmb over, he was polite, knowlegable, informatiive and made sure SWMBO was sure that she was getting the unit she wanted. Contrast that with the 19 yoa long hared smelly boy who tried to help me find some car tools. "Whats a ridge reamer?" "So where are the points on a car". Oh boy. Did get a nice engine analyizer marked down to 13.99 from the original $80+.

1Papalote
06-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Sears sold the Model 45. It was a 30-30, pistol gripped 20" barrel with a forend cap, one barrel band and dovetailed front site. The rear sight was the BB gun type, stamped metal. This gun is all Marlin and has been in our family since it was purchased in 1964? The 35 is probably the same model. The model 100 was a Winchester 94.

1Papalote

Chuck 100 yd
06-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Yes, the Glenfield name was sold by Sears and was a fine little rifle with only cosmetic changes from the 336. They bring about $100 less here unless they are in mint condition.