PDA

View Full Version : Best Non-Winchester Primers?

hanover67
10-14-2012, 02:12 PM
I've always used Winchester primers and brass for reloading. But, large pistol primers are designated for "Standard and Magnum Pistol Loads" and I wonder if switching to another brand might make sense. I load for .44 Special and .45 ACP and use faster powders, Unique or Bullseye, sometimes 700X, so a standard primer might give me more consistant ignition and accuracy.

What other primers do you use/suggest for these calibers?

jmort
10-14-2012, 02:32 PM
I mostly use Winchester (and Unique) but will use CCI as well

wrench man
10-14-2012, 03:39 PM
The owner of the LGS swears by "Federal" primers?, the only reason I've ever strayed from CCI's was due to light primmer strikes in a Taurus, was looking for a softer cup?, replaced the *** Taurus with an Uberti 1873 Colt, couldn't be happier!

Char-Gar
10-14-2012, 03:46 PM
I have used Winchester, CCI, Federal and Remington LP primers with no clear choice between them.

btroj
10-14-2012, 05:02 PM
I tend to buy what I can find for the lowest price.

Uncle Jimbo
10-14-2012, 05:31 PM
I always use CCI. Never had a reason not too.

EdS
10-14-2012, 06:00 PM
I too have some concern with the current WLP primers "for standard and magnum" loads. Does anyone have data (rather than impressions) concerning the Winchester primers' strength (brisance?) vs. other large pistol primers? Thanks, Ed

No_1
10-14-2012, 06:37 PM
My dad, 2 brothers and myself have shot in excess of 10k of the Winchester primers you mentioned and 5k of Remington primers in the last 2 years. They all have gone bang when the trigger was pulled.

Hogdaddy
10-14-2012, 06:46 PM
#1-CCI
#2-Winchester

I'll use Federal but don't like the way they are packed. I rather flip over then have to handle with my Big finger As I use a Lee hand primer ; )

H/D

blackbike
10-14-2012, 06:52 PM
I understand, what is the problem.
Can you show your data, and how was it collected.
Thanks, BB

subsonic
10-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Most Large Pistol primers are around $3.50 per100 locally. Buy 100 of each and try them. See what you think.

I just bought 5000 Wolf Large Pistol primers from Grafs for $107. Have not shot any Wolf LP before, but figured it was worth the gamble, as I shoot a lot of stuff that uses Large Pistol primers. Guess I should get 5000 Tula small pistol too... ;-)

RobS
10-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Most Large Pistol primers are around $3.50 per100 locally. Buy 100 of each and try them. See what you think.

I just bought 5000 Wolf Large Pistol primers from Grafs for $107. Have not shot any Wolf LP before, but figured it was worth the gamble, as I shoot a lot of stuff that uses Large Pistol primers. Guess I should get 5000 Tula small pistol too... ;-)

Wolf/Tula LP primers are standard primers and do not ignite larger charges of slower powders such as H110/Win. 296 as effectively as Winchester LP primers or other magnum primers. Also don't be fooled by Wolf/Tula Magnum LP primers, they are the same just a harder cup. I've had issues even with Ramshot Enforcer being less accurate with Wolf/Tula LP primers vs Winchester LP primers. All this in 45 Colt and 454 Casull.

Regards to the original poster's question: I use the heck out of Wolf/Tula primers when I shoot quicker powders i.e. Herco, Unique, Promo/Red Dot, Win 231, Universal etc. I even use them with 2400 just fine. All my 45 auto rounds are set off with Wolf/Tula Primers.

RobsTV
10-15-2012, 08:33 AM
The owner of the LGS swears by "Federal" primers?, the only reason I've ever strayed from CCI's was due to light primmer strikes in a Taurus, was looking for a softer cup?, replaced the *** Taurus with an Uberti 1873 Colt, couldn't be happier!

When the CCI primers repeatedly fail to go bang or hangfire in a S&W 500, you quickly learn to no longer trust them. A quick Google search shows this is not unusual with some CCI primers.

Winchester or Federal has cured all the CCI primer woes here. The Federal Magnum Match primers seem to combine several good features, and work well in everything.

RKJ
10-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Wolf/Tula LP primers are standard primers and do not ignite larger charges of slower powders such as H110/Win. 296 as effectively as Winchester LP primers or other magnum primers. Also don't be fooled by Wolf/Tula Magnum LP primers, they are the same just a harder cup. I've had issues even with Ramshot Enforcer being less accurate with Wolf/Tula LP primers vs Winchester LP primers. All this in 45 Colt and 454 Casull.

Regards to the original poster's question: I use the heck out of Wolf/Tula primers when I shoot quicker powders i.e. Herco, Unique, Promo/Red Dot, Win 231, Universal etc. I even use them with 2400 just fine. All my 45 auto rounds are set off with Wolf/Tula Primers.

RobS, Thanks for that info. I've been eyeballing Tula at Grafs & Midway and have been wondering about them.

Thanks also to the OP for asking this question.

youngda9
10-15-2012, 05:21 PM
I use the cheapest winchester or federal I can find. Winchesters are harder...make sure I use federals in one of my revolvers that does not set off Winchesters reliably. When I find a good price I buy by the thousands.

wv109323
10-15-2012, 09:17 PM
As a Bullseye Pistol shooter, The Winchester LP is the "go to" primer in .45 ACP. The Winchester is considered to be a little hotter thus giving you better ignition of the powder. Bullseye loads are mostly Win. 231, Bullseye , WST, Solo 1000 or VV310.
I have used a lot of Federal primers in the past. If available and within the ballpark price I use the Winchester brand. If push came to shove I don't think you could tell the difference between Remington ,Federal or Winchester. CCI used to have some poor tolerances as to their diameter and did not work well in progressive presses.

Wolfer
10-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Like Char-gar I've never been able to tell much difference. The only difference I've noticed in my 45 colt is rem will get me about 40 fps faster velocity over cci. Accuracy is the same.
I tend to shoot whatever the local shop has on hand.

TCLouis
10-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Winchester fan here, have used a bunch of Mag Techs this last year.

Thinking f getting brave, trusting russki QC and buying some TULAS from Powder Valley.

subsonic
10-15-2012, 11:37 PM
As a Bullseye Pistol shooter, The Winchester LP is the "go to" primer in .45 ACP. The Winchester is considered to be a little hotter thus giving you better ignition of the powder. Bullseye loads are mostly Win. 231, Bullseye , WST, Solo 1000 or VV310.
I have used a lot of Federal primers in the past. If available and within the ballpark price I use the Winchester brand. If push came to shove I don't think you could tell the difference between Remington ,Federal or Winchester. CCI used to have some poor tolerances as to their diameter and did not work well in progressive presses.

Knowing how guys that are in competition act from my racing days, I have to wonder if this isn't just dog-turd engineering theory. You know, the guy that won had a dog turd on his hood, so next week everybody has a dog turd on their hood.... :kidding::groner::killingpc

.5mv^2
10-15-2012, 11:42 PM
I am using up some Wolf LP primers and like them fine. I tried some small pistol Wolf primers and did not get reliable ignition.
I used up about Wolf 04000 large and 5000 small primers.

30calflash
10-16-2012, 01:33 PM

I went to Win LP as the CCI's were harder to seat in Rem military 45 brass. Used CCI's for 44 mag silhouette loads.

When I tried the Win LP's in the 44 there was a large elevation change. Can't remember which way, it was a long time ago.

They both always worked, no complaints besides the hard seating.

Calamity Jake
10-16-2012, 02:10 PM
I've always used Winchester primers and brass for reloading. But, large pistol primers are designated for "Standard and Magnum Pistol Loads" and I wonder if switching to another brand might make sense. I load for .44 Special and .45 ACP and use faster powders, Unique or Bullseye, sometimes 700X, so a standard primer might give me more consistant ignition and accuracy.

What other primers do you use/suggest for these calibers?

I started loading my own in 82 my first box of primers were winchester, it said on the box for standard or magnum pistol loads which I understood to mean they could be used in light (38sp, 44sp ect)loads with light powder charges or magnum(357, 44mag ect) with both light or heavy charges depending on the powder type being used at the time.

I've used winchester ever sence along with all the others and as been said(with the execption of Fed) I can see no difference eather.

Tom W.
10-16-2012, 02:59 PM
I have some CCI, Federal and Winchester primers, and just prefer the Federals. I will buy what is available however

9.3X62AL
10-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Winchester and CCI are my most-used primer makes, largely because these are the most readily available brands at my local shops or at the gun shows I infest. "Special Needs" primers--Rem 6-1/2 for small rifle cases, Fed 215 for BIG RIFLE cases like 45-70--do get the call also, but nowhere near the numbers used of W-W or CCI spark plugs.

Matthew 25
10-17-2012, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't change if you're not having issues.

I use Federal for hunting loads. My impression is that they're softer. At least in small primers I'm sure they are, as my Python will only fire 100% with Federals. I make the assumption that's true in large primers so use Federal when I can't afford a click.

number7tn
10-18-2012, 03:24 AM
ever since ive been loading my 45acp i had used wlp primers and have no complants except some of the mil brass they only seat flush , but have done good , no misfires , no slam fires etc, but about a week and a half ago i ordered some powder from grafs and needed more lp primers and i got the s&b primers to try , so far ive shot id say 50 to 75 with no problems at all, with power pistol, and wsf powders.
cant tell what the others will be like but they seem good. accuracy is the same plus they seat a little deeper than the wlp's.

in the primers ive used in rifle i like federal the best (not tried em in pistol yet) , i use the cheapest fed in 30-30 and 30-06 and the gold medal mag match in 300wm. just wished they was packed like winchester or cci , i dont like how feds are packed , thats my only complant.

and one more i use in scatter gun is noble sport (nsi), and ive not had any problems with them either.

hope this post helps , GOD BLESS
Darrell

ColColt
10-18-2012, 06:45 PM
CCI hands down(for me) I've used them in a dozen different guns or more from Large Rifle, Small Rifle to four calibers in handguns both SP and LP and never has one failed to fire. We're talking since 1969. That's a pretty good track record.

**oneshot**
10-18-2012, 08:07 PM
I went from winchester LP to Federal LP and never looked back. My only gripe is the large for content packaging.

subsonic
10-18-2012, 11:05 PM
I went from winchester LP to Federal LP and never looked back. My only gripe is the large for content packaging.

I hate that and those stupid locking flaps on the bottom that just make me spill MORE primers!!! GAH! But I really like the primers themselves!

km101
10-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Remington LR for my rifle accuracy loads, because that is what I worked the loads up with, years ago.
Mostly CCI and Tula (I know, I know) for my handgun loads. I dont shoot anything near max, except in .44 and .357, so I use Tula for the mild stuff and CCI for the magnum loads. And the Tula primers have worked great in the almost 5K loads that I have fired. :)