PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking I need to be talked out of this.

Gussy
06-02-2007, 03:04 PM
My wife thinks so too.

2 years ago I bought a 40 JD crawler with dozer blade, very cheap. It wasn't in running condition but looked like a fun project. Did I mention it was in several pieces? All the parts are there and many are new.

Last year I was talking to my neighbor during the forrest fire we had and he said he had a nice 420 JD crawler with a loader, and yes it was running. It had a heavy duty front end loader not the cheap pipe one. It was a 5 roller model and cheap too. Did I mention the transmission case was cracked all the way around. Looked like an easy project.

The other day I was talking to another neighbor and he has a 420 JD crawler with a really nice JD industrial loader. Really nice and it has a reverser transmission, not commonly found. This one is not really cheap, but not a bad buy. Did I mention it has a cracked transmission case? (pevious owner didn't know how to take it apart and broke the case) Isn't running? Is in many pieces?

My house is nearly finished and then I can finish my shop. I'll have a nice place to work on the toys. I'm thinking of 2 really nice 420's and then sell the 40 after it is up and running.

My wife thinks I need to be talked out of this.......
Gus

MT Gianni
06-02-2007, 03:38 PM
With a man of your talents I'd say go for it Jim. Time would be your only detractor if you can keep them where the better half doesn't commonly see them in her view. Gianni.

Bret4207
06-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Gussy- Thats pretty much how I put my 40C 3 roll and 1010 C-L-B together. 40's, 420's, etc are pretty common and not so big they require special tools to work on. Parts aren't too out of sight. OTH theres a limited amount of work you can do with a 2 ton crawler. They really were m,ore of an agricultural puller than a construction pusher.

Gussy
06-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Bret, The heavy work is about all done. I still have the D4 and won't sell it until I get a 420 running. After that, it'll be mostly just light road cleaning on skid trails and snow removal. The 40C is a 3 roller but both 420Cs are 5 roller. Ride a lot better and better with a blade. I want to put 3 pts on both and PTOs so I can use them with mowers or back blades.

You're right about easier to work on than a "real cat". Parts are not so heavy and tools are mostly common stuff I have. Can't wait...... been trying to talk my brother into coming up for a couple of weeks to play. You should see some of his restored tractors!!!! They look better than when they were new.

My wife still thinks someone should talk me out of this. I need doors on the back shed so She doesn't see "things".
Gus

Four Fingers of Death
06-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Man if you want to be talked out ofsomething that sounds interesting and fun, you have come to the wrongggggggggggggg place! It's fun working on those big muthas. What's yer welding like? No doubt it will get a lot better by the time you finish these projects.

Bret4207
06-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Good luck on finding an affordable 3 pt. I lucked onto mine when I bought a parts machine. You have a D4 too? I'll trade you my spare parts machine- with good tranny casting- for the D4. Come and get it! I wish. I'd love a larger machine for some of my pasture resotration projects. Trying to find a D2 or 4 at a reasonable price that doesn't need expensive parts- tracks usually- is like trying to find that $20.00 Pope barreled Stevens 28-30 at a garage sale. It just ain't happening.

JSH
06-03-2007, 08:04 AM
I am not going to try and talk you out of this, lol. A couple of friends of mine are tractor and crawler nuts. I am not up to speed on the JD crawler you speak of, so I don't know hoe "modern" it is. None the less they may have some leads to a parts crawler for you.
If you would like, PM me your email address and I will forward it to them. I don't know what part of the country you are in but doesn't make much difference as the have been know to run quite a long ways to drop off then pick up such critters.
Jeff

Gussy
06-04-2007, 02:57 PM
JSH, I'm in WA state, a long ways from you.

Bret, Just found out my brother (in Calif) has the rear end of a 40 JD wheel tractor and it does have part of the 3 pt., also a complete good trans. I am going for a visit in August so I will take the F250 diesel and bring it back with me!! I think I lucked into some free parts!!
Gus

Bret4207
06-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Wheel tractor 3 pt is different I'm pretty sure. Go to www.jdcrawlers.com Do some research there. The 40 crawler 3 pt is a seprate single casting that mounts on top of the rear end. The wheel tractor set ups are more of a built in rig. I can check my manuals to be sure when I get home.

Gussy
06-04-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks for that site address, I think I'll be spending a little time there!!
Gus

Bret4207
06-04-2007, 06:52 PM
The 3 pt for the crawler is a separate unit from the wheeled 3 pt. As I said it's a large casting that sits where the seat is on the 40, the seat then mounts on top of the casting. 2 lift arms are activated by a hydraulic cylinder that sits out by your left leg. It's not a self contained unit like a wheeled tractor. I'll see if I can hunt up a pic.

The engine, front sheet metal , etc should be about the same on the crawlers and wheelers. You'll need the brush guard, but you can make one easy enough.

You can visit the "Crawlers, loaders, backhoes" section of www.ytmag.com for more info on the 40. 420, etc. That reverser sounds like the one in my 1010. Don't try and and use it like it's bulletproof. JD says you don't need to stop to use it, but I generally clutch and use it. I figure with my aptitude for breaking large, expensive metal items I'd best be careful.

What kind of shape are the tracks in? That the expensive part. And, I have to wonder why both machine are broke in the same place. Sounds like some one, or 2 someones, kind of over estimated the units capability. Not that I would ever do that.......

Gussy
06-04-2007, 07:38 PM
The first 420 (I have it now) was just plain overloaded trying to clear heavy brush. The second one was broken while taking it apart (so I was told). I was told that there is a pin that has to be removed, while the case is slightly apart, before it can be removed. He didn't and then tried the pry bar routine and broke off part of the case. There is a new/used good case with it to replace the broken one. I'm still dickering on the second one. My wife fails to see the need!!
GUs

Buckshot
06-04-2007, 11:30 PM
............Women have no sensitivity for man's need to fondle machinery and roll around amongst the parts, etc. All they know is purses, shoes and how to dream up stuff for you to do.

When my daughter and I were building her 55 Ford pickup I used to spend time at a place called 'Mid Fifties Pickups'. The guy that owned the place was really a great guy, Bob Monenger. I showed up one day and was mooching around the shop when Bob said to come here and see something I really needed.

In the shop building back around behind his office he walks up to a 56 Ford pickup. It's all primer paint with the cab and box on a rolling chassis. The fenders and hood were in the box. He said a guy brought it in after his wife threatened divorce. One of those "It or Me" deals. I guess it'd been in the process too long for her.

It's basicly all complete except for the cab interior. Had a freshly built 351 Cleveland and 4 spd trans, Volare front end, new radiator, Jag rear end, Cadillac tilt/telescoping steering column, louvered hood, new bedwood, mag wheels and new tires. He said I could have it for $3500.

Whadda ya think the wife said? :-)

................Buckshot

Four Fingers of Death
06-04-2007, 11:39 PM
"Wow! thats a good buy Honey!!!!" Heres hopeing.

floodgate
06-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Buckshot:

"Women have no sensitivity for man's need to fondle machinery."

SOME women, maybe. I got a kick out of the scene in the recent movie "The Queen", when Helen Mirren, as Queen Elizabeth II, was tearing through a rocky creekbed at their estate in Balmoral, Scotland when her Range Rover bottomed out on a rock and stalled. She got our, waded around to the front peered underneath, and radioed back "You'll have to come and pull me out, the driveshaft is broken." "Ye're sure of that, ma'am?" "Yes I'm sure, I worked as an auto mechanic during World War II." She did, too - as her contribution to the war effort; quite the lady!

And one of our neighbors owns a machine shop; she trained at the Lawrence Berkeley Lab Experimental Machine Shop, and is THE best machinist I have ever worked with.

And, as we all know, NEVER bet a wife, daughter or lady friend you can out-shoot her on tin cans and other random targets. That's how Bev "won" my original Brown Bess off me; I HAD to marry her to keep it in the family!

Ah, wimmen....!

floodgate

Bret4207
06-05-2007, 04:56 AM
Gussy- There is a pin that ties the tranny infeed shaft to the shaft coming from the flywheel. Seems it would have sheared, but I guess not. Usually they forget to put that pin in and you make it 10 feet before the shafts seperate. Been there. Done that.

Shop/parts manuals are plentiful on Ebay or from Deere. Good idea to have one.

Gussy
06-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Bret, When I bought the 40, a lot of new parts came with it AND a complete set of original JD parts and repair manuals!! I'm all set in that dept. You asked about under carriage in a previous post and I forgot it. The 40 tracks are in great shape and it came with a full set of NEW rollers. I paid less for the whole thing than 2 rollers would have cost. The 420 under carriage is in excellent condition also. My main concern on the 40 is the engine. It was left uncovered for years and is froze.

As would be expected, both tractors need some steering clutch work from sitting out in the rain. One clutch works on the 420, but I will replace everything while I'm in there. They will NOT sit outside after I work on them!!
Gus