PDA

View Full Version : 1895SBL or 1895XLR???

xrangerx
10-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Which one do I get and why? (Both in stainless)

btroj
10-14-2012, 07:53 AM
That is entirely up to you. It comes down to personal preference.

I don't care for the big levers so I won't buy the SBL. That is my opinion, makes no difference in shootability for me. Guys with bigger hands might like the bigger lever.

Buy whichever one looks and feels right to you. I own a 1895 plain. Regular barrel length, no porting, no big lever, no stainless, no,laminated stock. Yep, a plain old boring Marlin. But that thing shoots really well!

pkie44
10-14-2012, 10:51 PM
XLR might be a little hard to find.I like the longer barrel guns at the range, shorter guns a little better in the woods.

bigted
10-15-2012, 12:06 AM
im a 6 foot 5 inch feller and have fingers and hands to fit such a large stature...therefore my vote went...[yes i own one]...SBL. my fingers dont get the snot beat outta them like my 444p does. i breifly had a cowboy 95 as well and got rid of it for the same reasson. still have the 444 but it wears a wildwest lever for the same reasson.

my SBL wears a slip-on pad as well for the length of pull for my long arms. this is the absolute best shooting sporting 45-70 ive ever had. it devours hotter loads with ease on me and the rifle and the liter loads are just a hoot and i never have enough of those loaded at one time. my paperpatch loads of 420 lyman boolits re-sized to .452 and papered back to .4585 shoot very well thru it as well. this is better in all respects then my ruger #1 and just as lite and easy to handle with the added benny of having 6 shots as fast as i care to lever it and yank the trigger. on top i mounted a 1x to 4x leopold scope which is just perfect and i have installed a full buckhorn from marples replacing the rear if my scope goes south for any reasson...SBL all the way for me and mine has a plain wood stock...not the laminated stock.

xrangerx
10-15-2012, 02:19 AM
That is good to know. I'm also about your same height so that is good to take into account! Thanks!

rintinglen
10-15-2012, 11:04 AM
I'd take a XLR in a heart beat, I like the longer barrel, but your needs, desires and wishes could be far removed from mine and I sure wouldn't call them wrong.

Jailer
10-15-2012, 08:08 PM
I've got an SBL and I love it. Then again it's the only lever gun I own so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I tend to gravitate towards shorter barreled guns anyway so I doubt I'd ever choose the XLR over the SBL. But thats just me.

xrangerx
10-19-2012, 12:20 AM
I do like the idea of the shorter barrel and I like the big loop lever as well. Which one do you think will be harder to find?

rockrat
10-19-2012, 08:16 PM
I am 6'4" and have the XLR and will it shoot.

Clinebo
10-19-2012, 08:56 PM
I don't know where you hail from....but I bought the STBL with the big loop for hunting in MT in the cold. Cold = gloves. Gloved hands and small loops don't work for me.

monge
10-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Hey get one of each i had the same problem bought a xlr and a giude gun!

xrangerx
10-21-2012, 09:45 PM
If you dont mind me asking monge... Where did you get them at?