PDA

View Full Version : Old RCBS-A2

soli
10-13-2012, 10:44 PM
I recieved an A-2 last week,It has the mounting bracket bolted to the frame,was this an early press?

Pressman
10-14-2012, 06:15 AM
No, all the A series presses have a seperate frame and base. There are early and late A2's however. Early presses are made of cast steel and have a removable bushing in the die station. Later presses are made of cast iron and do not have the bushing. There is also diferences in the size and shape of the upper frame but with out a side by side comparison it is hard to spot. Later A2's will also have the year of manufacture stamped on the top.

A2's not to be confused with the 2A press which came just before the A2.
Ken

soli
10-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Just checked press,date on top 66,A2 in frount.The removeable mounting bracket in back has me puzzled you can mount with a tilt or st.up.

Waldog
10-15-2012, 09:47 PM
The A2 was the Cadilac of the reloading presses. Today I don't think there is anything available built as well. I have my Dad's. I learned to reload on that press. I believe collectors pay premium prices for nice A2 presses. It's a keeper!

soli
10-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Is mine the only one that has a detachable base?

skeettx
10-16-2012, 10:30 AM
You know, pictures sure would be helpful

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j452/skeettx/MVC-010S-1.jpg

All the A-2 had the detachable base

Mike

r1kk1
10-16-2012, 12:00 PM
The A2 was the Cadilac of the reloading presses. Today I don't think there is anything available built as well. I have my Dad's. I learned to reload on that press. I believe collectors pay premium prices for nice A2 presses. It's a keeper!

Not by any means detracting from A2. I looked for another when mine went MIA and bought a CH Champion. They still make these but I don't know for how much longer. Extremely strong as well built press. Quasi has a pic of both presses together but it may be the Big Maxx, I don't remember. They looked comparable.

I wish RCBS would bring it back. The largest press I've seen is the Old Western Scrounger Rock Crusher. It weighs around 100 lbs and handles the big 20mm and above stuff. My Champion only weighs 30 lbs in comparison.

So many good old presses.

r1kk1

Char-Gar
10-16-2012, 12:04 PM
No, you are not the only one, that is the way they were made.

A few days ago, a cast steel A2 sold on Ebay for $331.00. There is a cast iron A2 on there now and I will see how much it goes for. I doubt if most bidders know the difference.

I have an A2 and it is not for sale at any price.

Got-R-Did
10-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Found one like the above pictured press in remarkable condition at the Knob Creek Machinegun Shoot and Gun Show about 15 years ago and passed on it.[smilie=b: A few weeks later I got to use a Redding Ultra Mag press and ordered one for myself immediately. I have been very happy with her performance to this day. Haven't seen another RCBS like it since, however.
Got-R-Did.

M-Tecs
10-16-2012, 12:32 PM
The largest press I've seen is the Old Western Scrounger Rock Crusher. It weighs around 100 lbs and handles the big 20mm and above stuff. r1kk1

here you go http://www.ch4d.com/?com=catalog&view=product&alias=RC000

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 12:08 PM
here you go http://www.ch4d.com/?com=catalog&view=product&alias=RC000
A 22 hornet would look funny in that thing.