PDA

View Full Version : Opening day of elk season

elk hunter
10-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Started this little guys freezer training today at 0805 hours. Hard to see the horns as he hadn't rubbed the velvet off. Sorry, it wasn't a cast bullet, haven't had time to see if I can get it to shoot them. I was shooting my Chapuis 9.3 x 74.

Now to find the wife a bull.

zac0419
10-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice job. Every elk is a trophy. Can you tell us more about the gun?

alrighty
10-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Congratulation on the elk , and I would love to hear more about the rifle as well.My first elk hunt begins next week.Good luck to your wife.

Idaho Mule
10-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Nice shootin' there, and that will be one good eatin' piece of meat.

smoked turkey
10-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Great job. I am jealous. I have never shot an elk, but I sure would like to. The meat is wonderful and that one will be extra good.

UBER7MM
10-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Good hunting,

elk hunter
10-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Nice job. Every elk is a trophy. Can you tell us more about the gun?

Not a whole lot to say about it, as I said it's made in France by Chapuis it is one step up from their basic double in that it has slightly better wood and ejectors. I put a Leupold 4X scope on it in deference to my less than stellar eyesight. I have a bullet mould for it in 9.3 that I got in the last small group buy, but have just been too busy to even try to see if it will shoot cast at all well. The rifle is quite lite, something like 7 1/2 pounds, while nice for carrying, it makes it quite lively off the bench. I've shot six shot groups at 100 yards that went in to about 1 1/4" and that is outstanding accuracy for a double.

So far I've taken two elk and one deer with it, I might get it trained yet.

The attached picture is the one the dealer sent me prior to purchase.

Idaho Mule
10-14-2012, 07:47 PM
elk hunter, that is a very nice looking rifle, and it sounds to me like you will be very successful in getting it trained. As a matter of fact i would say you are well on the way. If you might be in need of sausage recipes please let me know, would be glad to help you if I can.

Ramjet-SS
10-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Please send that rifle to me I so,jealous that the idea of not having that rifle is driving me insane so pleeeeeeeese help me?:veryconfu

Hehehe nice rifle and nice elk they eat well.

elk hunter
10-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Please send that rifle to me I so,jealous that the idea of not having that rifle is driving me insane so pleeeeeeeese help me?:veryconfu

Hehehe nice rifle and nice elk they eat well.

Ramjet,

They still make them, the rifle that is. How about I send you the name and phone number of the dealer, I'm sure you would want a new one rather than an old cast-off used one with dings and scratches. Besides, I've probably taught this one too many bad habits, like what elk look and smell like. ;)

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Sooooooooooooooo cool!

I like my single shot #1 - 45/70, but a double like that would fit right in, yes sir it would!

Just make sure you get a cast boolit with a WFN and the 9.3 should be a good cast boolit gun. The 45/70 is over the top!

I'm think'in you should probably give that rifle away, as likely no way to cure it of the bad habits your erroring ways have taught it.

Probably if it could spend the winter with my #1, some good might rub off on that decrepit Ol'Double. [smilie=l:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot