PDA

View Full Version : New To casting.

Downunder
10-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Not sure if this is the place to ask this question.

I'm a new guy to casting so I'm looking for a book to get started. I have moulds and some 50lbs of pure lead and would like to start casting my own bullets. They are for a 40-90 C Sharps.
The moulds I have are RCBS 40-400-CSA and a 40-350 CSA moulds and I have a melting pot but have never done much lead moulding apart from making sinkers.

What books would you think I should get hold of to read to get me started off on the right foot.

williamwaco
10-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Lyman cast bullet manual.

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Cast-Bullet-Handbook-Edition/dp/B004DWBKQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350179440&sr=8-1&keywords=lyman+cast+bullet+handbook

Everything on this web site:

http://www.lasc.us/ArticleIndex.htm

Downunder
10-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks for that Mate.
You guys on this site are so quick and helpfull its not funny.

kbstenberg
10-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Downunder Ma I welcome you to the brotherhood of the silver stream. Be carefully though. It is habit forming. And can very time consuming.
Never be afraid to ask for help for any problem you may have.
Kevin

turmech
10-13-2012, 11:03 PM
From ingot to target would be a real good place to start. It can be downloaded for FREE (very generous from it author Glen Fryxell) . links can be found on this site as well as the second link given to you in post #2.

runfiverun
10-13-2012, 11:10 PM
i would also look in the black powder section here.
you might not be using black but that is definatly a b/p cartridge and they would be a big help.

i would also look for mike venturino's writings, he shoots black powder silhouette competitions,
and has some very good loading techniques.

Downunder
10-13-2012, 11:30 PM
I had looked on the other pages of this site but was thinking you guys in this section were the kings of moulding and casting:wink::grin:

I will need to find a good lead mix for hunting so will also ask the guys in other section about that. I have stated reading Glen Fryxel book. I have a longwag to go but as they say the fisrt step is the start of the trip not the end!

Thanks again for all the help and I'll more then likely be back with more questions!

runfiverun
10-14-2012, 02:18 AM
i'm sure you will hear 20-1 and possibly 30-1 come up a lot for this rfle thats 20 or 30 parts lead to one part tin.

Downunder
10-14-2012, 02:47 AM
I'm thinking 20-1 one sounds about right from what I have been reading. I will need to find some tin downunder as the lead is easy. The more I read the more I think I'll be having some hard work ahead. I'm sure it must be great to know its a boolit you made yourself that you took the game with!

Its not to you start to get into it that you are quick to see that its easy to have a few safety problems. Its good to know what not to do and what I'll need before I even start casting.

What is the best flux to use ?

a.squibload
10-14-2012, 03:53 AM
Sawdust works well & is usually cheap, many posts
here about sawdust.

Downunder
10-14-2012, 04:44 AM
Do you mean pine sawdust or any sawdust?

Wal'
10-14-2012, 05:58 AM
Any sawdust will suffice, I use local snowgum from my firewood & it seems to work well.

Old candle wax works well as a backup.

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook I found little use for, as I learn't more on this site. :-)

:cbpour:

sav300
10-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Downunder,try your local gunshops and here in Aus.Some shops stock it.

williamwaco
10-14-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm thinking 20-1 one sounds about right from what I have been reading. I will need to find some tin downunder as the lead is easy. The more I read the more I think I'll be having some hard work ahead. I'm sure it must be great to know its a boolit you made yourself that you took the game with!

Its not to you start to get into it that you are quick to see that its easy to have a few safety problems. Its good to know what not to do and what I'll need before I even start casting.

What is the best flux to use ?

Tin may be hard to find but lead/tin solder will be easy to find. Check a plumbing supply company or perhaps any home improvement store.

Note that as well as wire rolls, solder also comes in bars. The bars will be cheaper on a per pound bases. Note on the bottom of the following link, you can buy solder that is up to 95% tin. Most bullet casters use 60%tin / 40% lead.

See:

http://www.rotometals.com/Solder-s/25.htm

Obviously you will need to find a local source.

runfiverun
10-14-2012, 12:31 PM
don't try to overthink things too much unless you are having a problem.
i cast a little over 1,000 boolits yesterday from 3 different molds.
which means i threw some back when first getting the molds started.
i added a bunch of lead to the pot as i was making my casting runs throughout the afternoon.
i fluxed exactly 0 times.
stirred and scraped the pot kinda mostly the top one time.
this is the second or third casting session i have not fluxed.
i'll probably flux and carborize [maybe] my next casting session.
that's how much i worry about it.

Downunder
10-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I have found a local source for the solder and its a little cheaper!
The saw dust was easy I only live 10 minutes from a sawmill and was told to take as much as I like.
There are a lot of members from Australia on this site!

Awsar
10-14-2012, 05:52 PM
let me say welcome
and you have definatly come to the right place these guys are great and have helped me alot already.
just get ready to read alot and you will be fine

Wal'
10-15-2012, 12:42 AM
For your tin supply, check out your local St Vinny's & s/hand shops for Pewter, usually 90+tin.

I do a quick tour of them whenever in town. :bigsmyl2:

:cbpour:

Downunder
10-15-2012, 02:11 AM
I'll do that Wal.
I was talking to a Mates father today about tin and he thinks he has a box of tin from an old mine out the back of town. His grandfather worked the old mine. He thinks its in like a dust? Anyway his going to have a look for it in one of the old farm building for me. I did offer to pay him for it but was told not to worry about it he was happy someone could use it.

sthwestvictoria
10-15-2012, 04:22 AM
There is this current thread on the Australian forum with some tips about getting started and things to read up on:

http://www.shooting.com.au/forum/index.php?/topic/27026-cast-bullets-process/