PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 85

richhodg66
10-13-2012, 08:53 PM
I picked one of these up on impulse this morning, I've had a CCW permit about a year and still didn't have a proper carry piece (actually I do, but both of them are really bigger and heavier than I like). Anyway, turns out I didn't have any .38 ammo loaded up and had a committment this evening so I didn't think I'd get to it today. The committment got canceled so I loaded up 100 rounds and the boy and I headed to an indoor range that opened in town a while back we had never been to before.

The little Taurus worked great. I first tried a standard bullseye target at 50 feet single action, turns out it hits 8-10" left and high for me, but when I put up a B1 target at 7 yards, a more realistic test for this gun, I chewed the center out of it pretty easily shooting as fast as I could pull the trigger. I think I have a winner, gotta get a holster for it now.

Anybody know when Taurus started rating these for +P ammo? This one is not marked +P so I assume it is not. The load today was Lyman 358477 and 4.5 grains of Unique, snappy in that little gun, but not oppressive. I may switch to a lighter bullet.

fcvan
10-14-2012, 02:35 AM
I shot the heck out of my M85. My standard load was a Lee 356-125 2R which casts at 125 gr and .358 diameter, with 5 grains of Unique. Mine would easily hit 6" steel plates at 65 yards. For standard shooting it does as well as my 4" S&W M10. I loaded up some Lee 358-105 SWC which go about 110 grains, also over 5 grains of Unique. My wife fell in love with that load in the M85 and won't give the gun back. I've been instructed to 'get my own.' I may just get the 905 which is the same gun chambered in 9mm. I recently shot a Taurus M380 which is a lightweight alloy J frame. It was a great shooter but was double action only. I didn't care for that feature but hey, it wasn't my gun.

As far as +P loads in your M85, I'm sure you can shoot the occasional box without too much trouble. Look at various load tables and you will see there is not a great deal of difference between standard and +P pressures, at least when looking at Hodgdon data. If you are loading for the best efficiency of the short barrel you need to consider what type of powder that works best in that configuration. I had a buddy who carried a S&W M36 with factory wad cutters. He had to use it, the wad cutter ended the threat, and almost ended the bad guy. He chose a round he felt confident would perform for him and in practical application it did just that. Frank

NickSS
10-14-2012, 05:25 AM
I have a model 85 in SS and love it. I mostly load 125 gr Lee RF bullets in mine with 3.8 gr of Red Dot powder. It shoots that load very well with most iin side of 3 inches at 15 yards. I have also shot 158 gr lee RF with 3.5 gr of Red Dot in mine and that load is a tack driver with mostly grouping around 2 inches at 15 yards.

richhodg66
10-14-2012, 08:49 AM
I'll have to try some lighter bullets, this one hit high and left for me at 50'. I know 100 rounds isn't a real test, but I like this little gun so far.

I've got a bunch of different kinds of fast to medium pistol powders, Unique just seems to be my go to powder. I got about 3/4 lb of Green Dot from a friend who quit shotgun reloading, I think I'll try it next. I cast up some of the Lee 150 grain tumble lube SWC last night, I'll try those too.

jh45gun
10-16-2012, 12:24 AM
I love my 85 ultra light and it is very accurate at close distances I have not shot it farther than 15 yards but at that distance and closer it is very accurate.

jdgabbard
10-19-2012, 06:58 PM
I've got one that I can't quite get to shoot right. I'm thinking I'm going to have to try a lighter boolit than the 148g WCs and 158-160g SWCs. But I have a few other things to try out first. As to whether or not they're rated +P, I seem to remember that they are. I shoot +P in mine anyways. Just not a lot. One complaint I do have is the trigger on that gun. Man, it's about like the trigger pull on a staple gun.

Roundnoser
10-20-2012, 11:13 AM
I've had one for nearly 20 years. Its the 2" bbl. Shoots just fine, and is a nice little carry gun. Wife likes shooting it too. It fits her hand. Out to 10-15 yards it is accurate. I don't think it was designed for anything but CQB-styled engagements.

richhodg66
10-21-2012, 01:17 PM
The fixed sights do appear to be regulated for lighter bullets than standard weight .38s (150-158 grainers). Kind of a minor problem for me as that is what most of my molds are and what my other .38s do well with. I'll figure it out though. Not gonna get to a range today to try my Lee 150 grain TL SWCs and Green Dot, had to work yesterda and gonna hit a small town gun show this afternoon. I might just go back to that indoor range sometime this week. I don't like indoor ranges, but it had an added benefit last time, I walked out with 400 once fired, uniform headstamped .45 Colt cases for about $50. Gonna have to start going in there more.

jh45gun
10-22-2012, 06:27 AM
The fixed sights do appear to be regulated for lighter bullets than standard weight .38s (150-158 grainers). Kind of a minor problem for me as that is what most of my molds are and what my other .38s do well with. I'll figure it out though. Not gonna get to a range today to try my Lee 150 grain TL SWCs and Green Dot, had to work yesterda and gonna hit a small town gun show this afternoon. I might just go back to that indoor range sometime this week. I don't like indoor ranges, but it had an added benefit last time, I walked out with 400 once fired, uniform headstamped .45 Colt cases for about $50. Gonna have to start going in there more.

I am shooting standard wad cutters in mine not sure if they are 148 grain or 158 grain as a friend loaded up some ammo for me. I have no issue with the bullets hitting where I aim with the sights at like I said out to 15 yards. For those asking about +P they are rated that at least mine is and mine is the ultra light aluminum frame. I have not shot any +P in mine yet and if I did I would only shoot a few to see what they do then use the rest for CC.

bcp477
10-22-2012, 05:50 PM
I always shot 158 grn. SWC's through mine. Very accurate gun, out to 15 yards or so. I never really tried it beyond that distance. Taurus states in the manual that comes with new Model 85s that the sights are regulated for 158 grain bullets at 750 fps (if memory serves). So 158's are the factory spec'd bullet weight.

My 85 always did best with 158's. You might try other loads, before switching bullets. My 85 was most accurate with 3.0 grains of Bullseye...and the aforementioned 158 SWC. However, I mostly shot 3.7 grains of Bullseye....as 3.0 is strictly a light target load.

Your 85 might do better with another bullet weight, though. Just goes to show that every gun is unique.

Oh, as for +P loads...... Taurus rates all their current production 38's for them. This has been for a number of years, so if your 85 is new, then it is fine for +P. They do not mark their guns to indicate this, though. However, they also warn (as does every other gun maker), that a steady diet of +P's will shorten the service life of the gun.

richhodg66
10-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Not sure how old mine is, it was lightly used when I got it.

I picked up a couple of different kinds of +P ammo and I'll try a cylinder full of each to see which does best. I won't be shooting many through it, .38 Special is too cheap and easy to load for me to shoot that stuff much.

Looking for holster recommendations, I picked up a desantis inside the waistband one for it and it seems OK, just wondering what's best.

Oddly, I picked up another Taurus Sunday, this one a Model 431 in .44 Special. I love big bore revolvers and especially ones that aren't designed to be fire breathers. This one will be a nice gun if it shoots Ok, but too big for concealed carry unless in Winter under a coat.

bruce drake
10-22-2012, 08:34 PM
I used a Taurus 82 (4" 38Spl) for a couple years in college as a Wackenhut Armed Guard in Indianapolis. They issued us the Remington 158gr Round Nose and during the qualifications and refresher training, it always shot point of aim out to 15 yards with the fixed sights.

Would I buy another Taurus Revolver if given a chance...In a heartbeat.

Bruce

richhodg66
10-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Bruce, this .44 is most likely the same gun, it has a bull barrel and is a K Frame clone, except for being blued and having a slightly larger wood grip, it's a dead ringer for my old S&W M10 police surplus gun I bought 20 years ago. You gotta love any wheel gun whose bore size starts with a 4.

dubber123
10-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Well, the one 85 I owned stated "not for use with +P" on the box, so of course that was what the shop that sold it to me gave me upon purchase.. That and 3,500 rounds of +P handloads loosened it up significantly, but it still functioned and shot quite well. I am decidedly not a Taurus fan, but I had no issues at all with that little 85.

richhodg66
10-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Well, I won't be putting anything close to that through mine, but that's good to know. I've gotta work the next two evenings, but I plan on shooting a cylinder or two of the +P rounds through it this weekend. Thanks for the first hand report, I wasn't sure if buying a Taurus was a good idea or not when I did it, user reviews of their guns seem to vary more widely than any other manufacturer.

Tracy
10-24-2012, 02:03 AM
I have an 85 that is my warm-weather carry gun. I shoot mostly L-SWCHP +P and Lee 158 RF loaded to standard velocity, but I have also shot a couple hundred 358430, 195 grain RN at ~820 fps using AL-8 powder. That is a pretty warm load, but no problems so far.

If your 85 has a latch in the top of the crane, it is rated for unlimited +P.

richhodg66
10-25-2012, 11:32 PM
I have an 85 that is my warm-weather carry gun. I shoot mostly L-SWCHP +P and Lee 158 RF loaded to standard velocity, but I have also shot a couple hundred 358430, 195 grain RN at ~820 fps using AL-8 powder. That is a pretty warm load, but no problems so far.

If your 85 has a latch in the top of the crane, it is rated for unlimited +P.

Thanks for the info. It does have a latch in the top of that crane, so now I know. I still won't shoot many hot loads through it, just enough to make sure it works well and then to carry in it. Good to know it can handle it.

Vinne
11-15-2012, 12:49 AM
I got mine in SS years ago. I have shot +P in it with no problems. In fact I keep +P in it all the time just for the stopping power. When it comes down to it, I want all I can get from it when needed the most!!

tomme boy
11-15-2012, 12:55 AM
Can someone post a picture of their muzzle? The light weight one I have looks like there is no crown. It is just milled flat.

Shiloh
11-15-2012, 09:09 PM
I always shot 158 grn. SWC's through mine. Very accurate gun, out to 15 yards or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_b3dAbKoJ0

Short barrel revolvers can be accurate way past 15 yards.

Shiloh

Tom-ADC
11-16-2012, 09:38 PM
I have a older 85 hammer less DA only I keep it to full wad utters only but it's a great shooter, out in the desert you can chase a softball all over the place.