PDA

View Full Version : Lead Identification

kylix.rd
10-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Hello folks.

My first post here, so I'm sure to ask silly questions... I am just getting into the whole boolit casting thing and am gathering up the equipment and material. I went out to a scrap metal and recycling yard and scrounged about 10-15lbs of WWs, and about 15lbs of roof flashing and another 20lb block of mystery metal. I was able to determine that it was about as hard as the WWs by taking a small chuck and doing a comparison scratch test. Not scientific, but I figured it was close. All told, I got about 47lbs of scrap lead for $0.50/lb.

I think this mystery metal may be linotype or foundry type. It was clearly cast into the shape, but it was not a very decent pour since there are lots of irregularities. I was able to crack a piece in half since it had already started cracking. The internal crack wall revealing a very crystaline appearance. It is possible that it is keel lead, but it was much harder than the dead-soft flashing. I do live near the left coast and there are several harbors and lots of sailboats, so that could be what this is.

Here's a photo of the cracked wall, and of the whole chuck. I plan on melting this separate from the WWs and flashing just in case it is not going to work. Besides, at $0.50/lb I figured I could take a chance on it.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q730/kylix_rd/2012-10-13163613_zps9f8d3bac.jpg
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q730/kylix_rd/2012-10-13163602_zps75494430.jpg

I'm hoping some of you experienced folks can give me some hints.

runfiverun
10-13-2012, 11:17 PM
well that is a chunk of lead :lol:
the crystaline structure indicates antimony,but the percentages????
it don't look quite right to me for linotype though,the crystaline structure looks too tight.

i'd pour a boolit from the soft lead,the ww's,and from that piece then weigh them.
the weights will give you a clue.
if you have a thermometer you can also look at the temp the different lead melts at.
that will give you another clue...

kylix.rd
10-13-2012, 11:52 PM
runfiverun,

Thanks for the info. I'd planned on keeping the batches separate so I can combine them as needed once I figure them out. I took a small butane pocket torch to one of those thin shavings next to it and it melted purty quickly. Hit the concrete and splattered just like I expected.

My source had four or five chunks about that size, so I may return to see if they still have them or similar. At $0.50/lb it may be worth it just to have them. I can always blend it to the percentages I need.

Silver Hand
10-14-2012, 12:09 AM
It looks as though there is lead surrounding something in that smelt. It does not look like zinc in the photo. Zinc melts about Two hundred degrees + - hotter than lead. If it is, it will render the lead useless for casting Boolits when blended into the lead, usually about 787 + degrees Zinc becomes fluid.
Silver Hand

Silver Hand
10-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Is it super hard compared to the lead?
Hope I am around to answer
Silver Hand

kylix.rd
10-14-2012, 12:43 AM
It is about the same hardness or maybe a little harder than the WWs I was gathering at the same time. I also got some lead flashing sheets, which are very soft compared to either the WWs or this mystery metal.

Yes there is something in the smelt, but that is about as hard as the rest of it. I suspect it is an artifact of a sloppy pour and uneven cooling.

When I smelt it, I'll keep an eye out for any signs of zinc. If that goes well, I'll pour some samples and compare with samples of the WWs and of the sheeting. I'm running under the assumption that the sheeting is dead soft lead and will be my hardness baseline. I can tear the sheets by hand pretty easily.

Silver Hand
10-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Watching your temperature carefully wile coming up to the melting point of the lead base material,[ about 620+ degrees] may provide you with the option of removing the ore, if it turns out it is not blending wile temperatures are yet less than 750 degrees. I think it would be safe to say molten materials below 725 degrees would be good to cast with.
I am no expert but remain suspicious of the character of this material. It does look like antimony.

kylix.rd
10-14-2012, 09:43 PM
I am no expert but remain suspicious of the character of this material. It does look like antimony.

Are you saying that it looks like solid antimony or just lead with a high antimony content?

454PB
10-14-2012, 09:57 PM
While it does "look" like a type metal, even linotype is far harder than wheel weights, and should be easy to distinguish from them.

Silver Hand
10-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Are you saying that it looks like solid antimony or just lead with a high antimony content?

It looks like antimony! Certainly we know what the lead based part looks like. The vein of material running through it, looks like antimony.

https://www.google.com/search?q=antimony&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=bwK&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Ehx-UN6SEMOrygHlw4CwCA&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=612

kylix.rd
10-17-2012, 02:04 AM
I posted the results of smelting this chunck down on this thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=168258.

It likely has a high antimony content, but it did all melt down smoothly and poured well. It did take longer to cool, which is likely that there is higher tin content as well.

DrBill33
10-18-2012, 09:39 PM
You might enquire of your supplier if the firm has an hand-held analyzer(mine does). If so, they can give you an instant read-out