PDA

View Full Version : High Tin Content Bullets?

Jeff82
10-13-2012, 06:01 PM
I was casting with Lyman #2 for the first time today and am really impressed by the resulting bullets. I have to say that the higher tin content seems to work wonders in comparison to the normal 2% that I use. I'm considering casting with Lyman #2 more often, and might experiment with similar alloys in the future; perhaps even 5% tin and 3% antimony. Is anyone else a fan of higher tin content?

Fluxed
10-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Yes, I found #2 to make great bullets. I shot a lot of Linotype back when it was easy to get but when experimenting with my .30 cal. benchrest rifle shooting lead #2 or there-abouts gave the best accuracy results. Your 5%, 3% idea ought to be good too.

runfiverun
10-13-2012, 11:19 PM
except for the part about the hard spots of tin surrounded by soft spots of lead.
keep the alloy balanced.[at maximum tin percentage]
control the mold temperature.

lwknight
10-14-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm not a fan of wasting good tin. My "lwknight rule is 1 tin for 3 antimonys" is a good one. 2% tin should always cast well. I have used higher tin with no antimony only for paper patched bullets where I specifically wanted max expansion with max weight retention.

For general casting with wheel weights 2% tin is plenty to get good results especially for target loads. Higher tin may be useful for hollow point performance but its wasteful when its not needed.

cbrick
10-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Run is correct, keep the tin percentage no higher than the antimony percent which is part of the reason Lyman #2 casts so well if not a bit pricey. Adding more tin will not accomplish anything significant except run you out of tin faster. Even with WW alloy where I make the assumption of 2% antimony I add no more than 2% tin. 2% antimony in WW is an assumption (though fairly close) because even new WW are made from scrap alloy and the percentages vary.

Lyman #2 is 5% tin - 5% antimony - 90% lead.

Rick

Larry Gibson
10-14-2012, 01:26 PM
except for the part about the hard spots of tin surrounded by soft spots of lead.
keep the alloy balanced.[at maximum tin percentage]
control the mold temperature.

+ another. The trick is to balance the tin to the antimony at close to 2.5 - 3.5 % of each for an excellent alloy. I also like to have slightly les tin than antimony. The result is a balance that makes the tin/antimonony combine in solution with the lead. Only so much of each will combine in solution with the lead. The articles in Lyman's #3 & 4 CBHs explain (somewhat dryly) how this is probably best. COWWs + 2% tin most often make a very good alloy similar in casting quality and BHN to Lyman #2.

Larry Gibson