PDA

View Full Version : Member in need

Ajax
10-13-2012, 04:35 PM
We have an member in need. Dukeinmaine had some numbness in his legs and went to see the dr. A MRI and CT scan they found a tumor on one of his vertabrae. He had emergency surgery last night and they are still working on a game plan for the after care. I am asking for us to come together as a family and help a fellow caster out. Right now he is unemployed and has no insurance. Donations can be sent to myself paypal:andrewphillipjackson@comcast.net or you can pm me for my address if you wish to send a money order.All money will go to duke to help with his Dr's bills.
I will be updating this thread as more info becomes available.

Andy

Mooseman
10-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Done !
Rich

Echo
10-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Me too.

crabo
10-13-2012, 11:20 PM
On it's way with paypal

smoked turkey
10-13-2012, 11:37 PM
another on its way via paypal.

Recluse
10-14-2012, 04:02 AM
Donation en route via Paypal.

:coffee:

Valley Forge
10-14-2012, 04:17 AM
Done.

mactool
10-14-2012, 05:57 AM
Done via paypal

Jim Flinchbaugh
10-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Have been in his position myself,
my meager contribution has been sent via paypal!

sparky45
10-14-2012, 10:49 AM
The checks in the mail. Actually I used Paypal to get it there faster. Gods Speed Duke.

DukeInFlorida
10-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Just got off the phone with Andy, and he thought it might be a good idea to fill you all in on where I am.

Many of you have known that I have been virtually unemployed since last August. The company that I had been the New England salesman for (25 years) has gone belly up due to the inept actions of the sons of the owner, and none of the commissioned sales guys have been paid in all of that time.

I'm in the process of filing for bankruptcy, and was going to move to Florida (from a home here in Maine into a small mobile home in Florida) mostly to avoid the cost of heating through the bad winters here. I was looking forward to going to Florida next weekend with my daughter to find a place. That's now all on hold.

I had a recent bout with a kidney stone and a pulled muscle, which weren't too bad compared to the current situation, but the complications from the kidney stone got me to the hospital, and into the MRI tunnel.

Turns out the tingling and muscle loss in my legs was caused by a tumor growing in the rear of T3, and was extending into and pressing on the spinal column. They did a CT scan, and got me into emergency surgery. They have removed most of the tumor (what they could because of the proximity to the spinal cord). But, because this cancer is a blood cancer, they tell me that I have other tumors elsewhere to also deal with.

The oncologist tells me that my prognosis is good, and they'll start with radiating the surgery site for two weeks, followed by several weeks of chemo for the rest of the cancers.

They did a follow up ultrasound to look at suspicious locations on my kidneys (was worried about that, due to the recent surgery that our own Steve Bowers recently went through). MY oncologist doesn't feel that the kidney concerns are well founded, and I hope that he is right.

All of this certainly delays my departing snowy Maine, which sucks because I have already sold my 4X4 vehicle, my snow plow, and even my snow blower, to pay bills (expecting to not need them in FL).

Your love and good wishes are well received. I thank you for your support. We've got a lot of very nice people here at Castboolits.

I'll keep you all posted as I am able to. My son has a network set up so that I can remotely communicate, and am using a borrowed laptop. Your generous gifts will help pay medical bills, and keep me warm and fed while I struggle through this all.

Thank you all and God bless! I am positive and upbeat about my prognosis.

Yours in friendship, Orville

snuffy
10-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Wow! Not good! Money and prayers sent via God.net and paypal. Heal up fast Duke!

jmort
10-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Prayers for you and your daughter. I will follow this. Will help as soon as I can with paypal.God Bless

gray wolf
10-14-2012, 02:38 PM
PM sent for an address, Julie and I don't have anything but I will put a little bit of that in an envelope for Duke.
Do well my friend, and get better.

Sam & Julie

Lloyd Smale
10-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Prayers will be said

Finster101
10-14-2012, 07:59 PM
PayPal sent

Kicker96fs
10-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys, another way is the donation site his son set up.

http://www.indiegogo.com/od-fundraiser

You guys are the best!

See post http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=168207

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Prayers and paypal funds sent via Andy.
Jon

Bob J
10-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Prayers and Paypal Sent!

Gar
10-15-2012, 08:19 AM
PM sent for an address, Julie and I don't have anything but I will put a little bit of that in an envelope for Duke.
Do well my friend, and get better.

Sam & Julie

Sam, keep your money and buy some food and heating oil. I'll send DukeinMaine cash in your name. Don't try to tell me different, the money's already on the way.

Orville, our prayers are with you.

Gar

GT27
10-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Prayers sent your way Duke!I know how the work situation feels also.I've been out of work for 1 1/2 years now and was with the company for 20 years. Left me bitter, the ways company's take advantage of hard working folks!! God bless you and yours,and we hope you feel better soon,have faith in Gods healing hands!GT27

Ajax
10-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Guys we have raised $500 so far i would like to thank those who have donated so far. I will run this fund raiser till the end of the month. If you can give please do and remember prayers are always welcome.

Andy

Bulldogger
10-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Paypal gift sent

lcclower
10-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Paypal & prayers sent.

Alvarez Kelly
10-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Glad to help.

Bump this up to the top.

We can do better for one of ours. Come on guys... help if you can. :-)

Haggway
10-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Good thougts and prayers sent.
Always glad to help.

Ajax
10-19-2012, 09:41 AM
you guys are awesome. so far we have raised $500 bucks.. Still need more help if ya can. Duke is out of the hospital and at home. So we go from here.

Andy

captaint
10-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Paypainintheass sent. Duke, you get better, man.... All the best. Mike

justingrosche
10-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Paypal sent. Wished it could be more. Get well soon Duke.

Ajax
10-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Back up for a good cause.

Andy

OneSkinnyMass
10-23-2012, 07:11 PM
bump for a member in need

Skinny

Phat Man Mike
10-24-2012, 09:20 PM
I'll say a lil prayer too. LilOkiee and I sent a M/O last week! I can understand being out of work and all. :|

sav300
10-25-2012, 08:05 AM
PAypal on way from downunder.Get well soon Duke.

41 mag fan
10-25-2012, 08:52 AM
Money sent. It's not much but hopefully it'll help them out some.

Ajax, can you pm me when you get the money. I don't know if paypal tried transferring thru my checking acct or check card. I had an episode with identity theft Monday, and someone was using my check card in Chicago having a good old time on my dime before it was caught. Luckily they only got $300 out of my account.

Ajax
10-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Thats crappy. Hopefully they get them caught and convicted. God hates a thief.. Pm sent.

Andy

Ajax
10-29-2012, 07:28 AM
bump up one more time i will end this on Nov 1.

Andy

Alvarez Kelly
10-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Benefit auction pending. Stay tuned... :-)

Added: Please see:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1899820#post1899820

It wil close on 7 November.

rockrat
10-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Donation went in the mail today.

Alvarez Kelly
10-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Please see the benefit auction for Duke:

DukeInFlorida
11-04-2012, 06:15 AM
Another progress update.

I am half way through my radiation treatments. So far, so good. I can feel a slight burning at the surgical site during the treatment, and some symptoms have emerged. Not too bad yet.

Bills have started to come in. The big ones so far were the primary hospital bill for $58,000+ and the anesthesiologist for about $3000. Lab bills also came in, as did a bill from the pharmacy for the drugs given to me while at the hospital.

So, keep the cards and letters, and donations coming in. Every cent will help.

I am up and around. Have yet to drive myself anywhere. My son and daughter, and best friend have each given a week of their time to get me around. I have rides lined up for next week, and then have to figure out the next six months of chemo. My legs are getting stronger, and the doctors tell me that as soon as the swelling on my spine (from the radiation) goes down some, I should walk even better, which might alleviate the walking (and driving) issue altogether. I sure hope so. I'm am very much of an independent guy, and it bothers me to have to reply on others for so much.

I can only sit at the keyboard for a bit, and then the back starts to remind me that there's a big injury still healing.

Thank you again for the kind words and prayers. I'm turning into quite an emotional guy every time I see my life touched by your kindnesses, and God's blessings in my life.

Alvarez Kelly
11-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Please see the benefit auction for Duke:

This ends tomorrow.

Anyone else?

snuffy
11-07-2012, 06:55 PM
This ends tomorrow.

Anyone else?

Well, how about we get a bigger auction going? If I knew how to run one, I have the time to monitor it.

I could find some "stuff" reloading related I could donate. I've seen it happen here before. I would donate the shipping to the auction winner when the donation is sent to Duke. Others may want the winner to pick up the shipping.

Or I could make some boolits, I have 4 MP molds from group buys I could make some boolits, place them in the auction.

Alvarez Kelly
11-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Well, how about we get a bigger auction going? If I knew how to run one, I have the time to monitor it.

I could find some "stuff" reloading related I could donate. I've seen it happen here before. I would donate the shipping to the auction winner when the donation is sent to Duke. Others may want the winner to pick up the shipping.

Or I could make some boolits, I have 4 MP molds from group buys I could make some boolits, place them in the auction.

I asked Ajax how to do an auction in a PM. He said just do it!

I say, make a pile of reloading goods, boolits, or whatever you have to offer, and have an auction.

I know Duke would appreciate it! :-)

hiram
11-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Done--

Duke-

I'll be in Florida in mid Dec. Boynton Beach. PM me if you are in FL at that time

Hiram

Alvarez Kelly
11-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Springfield was the winning bidder for the air cylinder auction.

Thanks to all who bid or helped in any other way. I know Duke appreciates it.

fatelk
11-09-2012, 01:43 AM
Duke, sent a little via paypal. I hope you get feeling better quick.

gandydancer
11-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Paypal sent. US Mainers must stick together.

Ajax
11-13-2012, 07:01 AM
I am re-opening this benefit. Duke was suppose to be moved to Florida by noe, so he sold all of his snow gear. I am reopening this to help him offset his heating costs. If you would like to do a benefit auction you are more than welcome to do so.

Andy

ClassicCannons
11-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Hi Andy
I'll do a Howitzer Auction today I know all o well healh issues i hope this will help a little Thanks for helping Austin

I am re-opening this benefit. Duke was suppose to be moved to Florida by noe, so he sold all of his snow gear. I am reopening this to help him offset his heating costs. If you would like to do a benefit auction you are more than welcome to do so.

Andy

Alvarez Kelly
11-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Bump for a good cause...

Ajax
11-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Still need help guys if you can please do.

Andy

Ajax
11-29-2012, 08:58 PM
I know its christmas time but lets not leave a brother in need.

Andy

DukeInFlorida
11-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Just an update on my situation.

Starting chemo therapy next week. Three drugs, two of them oral pills, and one butt injection. Two times a week, and then one week off. Three weeks is a cycle, and it's 12 cycles. That's 36 weeks. Chemo will be done here in Maine, but visited Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston (for consultation because the version of multiple myeloma that I have is the most rare type ... iGd..) on Wednesday. Fuel for that trip was $50, so the donations really help.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I hope that I can personally thank everyone of you some day. The prayers, love, and support from fellow shooters is nothing short of amazing. God Bless you all.

Ajax
12-08-2012, 08:29 AM
back to the top for a good cause.

Andy