PDA

View Full Version : annealing issue- HELP

357maximum
10-13-2012, 01:01 PM
My Dad had EABCO make him a really nice contender barrel in 5.7X28 and he is having a ball with it shooting really light frangible J-words into woodchucks and such.

The problem is this:

He is trying to anneal the necks on them little buggers and that factory "clearcoat" coating is making the brass real ugly when he anneals. He tried soaking them in paint thinner to remove the coating...no joy. I suggested laquer thinner---no joy. Orange based cleaners...no joy.

Anybody know what he could soak them in to remove that clear coating before he anneals them itsy bitty cases?

I am going to contact a former employer to see if I can get some tri-chlor-ethlene if we do not find something else first. I figure since it removed asphalt from road core samples it may just do the trick, but it is a nasty chemical and I would like to find something else before we get that mean.

THANK YOU,

Mike

montana_charlie
10-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Acetone, perhaps ...

454PB
10-13-2012, 01:26 PM
You might try brake cleaner, it works well for a lot of tough cleaning jobs.

How about using steel wool after the annealing? I've done that to remove the normal discoloration from annealing.

oneokie
10-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Try polyurathane finish remover.

357maximum
10-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Acetone, perhaps ...

THANKS Guys...message has been relayed. I bet acetone will in fact do it....oh my feeble mind did not think of that...oh well....thanks again

runfiverun
10-13-2012, 10:36 PM
let us know what does it.
i have seen it removed before but i think it was just burned off.

popper
10-14-2012, 12:30 PM
357maximum didn't know you could get triclor anymore. Use good rubber gloves and do it outside in a breeze. Acetone will SLOWLY remove polyurethane, I think carbon tet does also, but it is difficult to get. MEK (carb cleaner) may work. Al but triclor will require mechanical action to remove. I'd just anneal and not worry about it.

357maximum
10-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Popper

Many many years ago I used to be an asphalt/soil/concrete technician...I know all the bad things about trichlor...that is why I hesitate to use it. We had more issues and classes for the asphalt extraction chemicals than we did for the troxler nuclear density gauges we carried with us all the time. Trichlor.... It is still available to some industries apparently:mrgreen: .

If you knew my Dad you would understand that "not worrying about it" is simply not an option. Personally it would not bother me, but I am me and he is him.

oneokie
10-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Down near the bottom of page 1: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10510

357maximum
10-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Nolan

This is a single shot contender pistol.....none of them issues apply. Or did i grasp your hint wrong?

oneokie
10-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Read the post by I*asquirrel.

Recluse
10-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Down near the bottom of page 1: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10510

Whoa.

After reading that thread, I don't want anything to do with that cartridge.

:coffee:

popper
10-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Tumble to clean is what I think it says.

oneokie
10-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Tumble to clean is what I think it says.

With Stainless Steel media.

Ceramic media would probably do the same except for plugging the cases with media.

357maximum
10-14-2012, 09:41 PM
thanks for the clarification. I had not thought of loaning him my ball mill/rotary tumbler....thanks

BTW......The cartridge is well behaved and quite normal acting in the single shot. The only thing one needs to watch is powder charges in that little feller....the same as any other tiny case that runs at that pressure.