PDA

View Full Version : Water based case lube? Homemade

Shooter6br
10-13-2012, 12:01 PM
i used liqiud dishwashing soap today. Not bad. Anyone use their own homemade water based lube (for resizing) LOL:smile: :kidding:

H.Callahan
10-13-2012, 06:21 PM
i used liqiud dishwashing soap today. Not bad. Anyone use their own homemade water based lube (for resizing) LOL:smile: :kidding:
Used to do this with Ivory liquid on an RCBS lube pad all the time. Works well.

Moonie
10-15-2012, 03:44 PM
keep in mind that liquid soaps can cause rusting issues inside your dies.

Frozone
10-15-2012, 04:03 PM
You could try this (http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/africare-100-glycerin/ID=prod4118523-product?ext=gooBeauty_PLA_Moisturizer_for_Ethnic_H air_prod4118523&adtype={adtype}&Kpid=prod4118523&sst=607a25cd-60e9-c009-d37f-00003e3fe06e)

1hole
10-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Wet steel inside a die can rust, once it's dry the residual soap won't do a thing.

wv109323
10-15-2012, 08:47 PM
I am all for finding the least expensive way to do something. But for case lube I have found that Hornady makes the best case lube of anything that i have tried. ( I have used RCBS and Lee). I bought a bottle of the Hornady stuff for $4.49. I have resized well over 2000 rounds of rifle brass and have not used a third of the bottle. You can not make anything that cheap in my opinion.

canyon-ghost
10-15-2012, 09:53 PM
I am all for finding the least expensive way to do something.

Then get a load of this! I asked the guys at CBA what would make an inexpensive case lube because I was tired of the vicious circle of ordering more case lube. Told them I liked the 'depression era' answers to things. Ed Harris answered with Alberto VO5 hairdressing gel. It takes a little 1/4" dab to do more than 100 cases! Very little, and contains lanolin. At about 3.79 a tube, it's available in these small town grocery stores.http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/contenders/22Hornetcases005.jpg

Just roll one case mouth in it and it will last for another 20 or so, depending on the dies. Just takes a tiny smear of the stuff.

Good Luck,
Ron

mdi
10-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Not meaning to get away from water based lube, but I've been using Mink Oil Boot Dressin for quite a while and I think I'm gonna try some VO5. BTW. Lee white case lube is reported to be "wire pulling soap" and water based. If you know an electrician borry some to try...

Maven
10-16-2012, 03:34 PM
"I asked the guys at CBA what would make an inexpensive case lube because I was tired of the vicious circle of ordering more case lube. Told them I liked the 'depression era' answers to things. Ed Harris answered with Alberto VO5 hairdressing gel." canyon-ghost

The late Ed Dvoretsky of the CBA advocated using "Groom & Clean" for that purpose as well. I remember reading his comment to the effect, "...but why is he using case lube on his hair?"

zomby woof
10-16-2012, 07:22 PM
http://www.tomifobia.com/bagbalm/pix/can2_22.jpg

LaPoint
10-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Even though it isn't water based I use a 50/50 (by weight) mixture of anhydrous lanolin and petroleum jelly. Get the anhydrous lanolin from your druggist. I mean pharmacist.

o6Patient
12-27-2012, 09:25 PM
I was always taught that petroleum products could effect the primers but I hear all these post where folks are
cleaning cases and lubing them with petroleum based products.
I'll use the stuff made for this purpose; seems to be the least expensive component in the whole operation.

1hole
12-28-2012, 12:23 PM
I've experimented with most commercial case lubes and a lot of substitutes.

Water soluable lubes are all soap based, both Lee's and RCBS' work great. Some bar soaps have a high lanoline content and they work fairly well. Wet your fingers and the bar, rub your hand over the bar and transfer a soap film to the cases, let the water dry a bit and size. Allow the "wet" lube to dry a few minutes before storing the die and it will cause no rusting.

Waxes are all basically the same, all that varies much is the solvent. Imperial, Unique commericals and Mink Oil, Snow Proof boot treatment, shoe wax (neutral won't stain your fingers), paste car/floor waxes, toilet bowl sealing rings, etc, are just various waxes with some softening agent/grease to make them easy and fast to apply with fingers. VERY good stuff!

Lanolin lubes also vary by solvent/carrier type. Most commercial spray case lubes all use lanolin. VO5, bag balms, chapstick, do too so they work fine for sizing.

Some vegatable oils work. Castor oil and spray PAM, etc, do okay but they're not great and they're messy.

Some petroleum oils/greases work. STP is a great case lube but it's really messy and hard to remove from cases and fingers.

I started out with Lyman/RCBS lubes that were just re-bottled STP and quit using it after I tried a wax lube. Waxes and soaps are easy to apply with fingers, easy to wipe off hands and cases and won't contaminate anything. I tossed my dirty, grittly old lube pad out and haven't touched one for 40 years.