PDA

View Full Version : Soup's on!

imashooter2
10-13-2012, 11:45 AM
The last of my range scrap goes into ingots today. If I feel up to it, my last 3 buckets of WW will too.

The kitchen:

http://www.imashooter2.com/pictures/kitchen600.jpg

And the serving area:

http://www.imashooter2.com/pictures/serving600.jpg

Should look a bit different in a few hours. :D

Michael J. Spangler
10-13-2012, 01:54 PM
can't wait to see the updates! happy cooking

John in WI
10-13-2012, 02:15 PM
That's "the last of it"?!

Dang--how much range scrap did you collect!

imashooter2
10-13-2012, 03:41 PM
I've got a bit under 3,000 pounds in ingots already. There's about 430 pounds of raw ore in that wheelbarrow.

Last pot of the range scrap is melting now. I'm getting old. The WW are going to live to melt another day.

imashooter2
10-13-2012, 05:19 PM
The take. Those 464 ingots add another year to my effective casting career. 8-)

http://www.imashooter2.com/pictures/smelt10-12-600.jpg

knifemaker
10-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Our weather in N.CA. turned cooler and I did some smelting today also. Most of my lead is already in ingot form. wheel weights, pure lead, lino type, and my pistol mix of 50/50 wheel weight/ pure lead.
I like to do my boolit casting during the winter, cool weather, and decided to blend some of my 50/50 mix with 2% tin to have it ready for pistol boolit casting this winter. blended about 80 pounds today and have about 160 pounds of mix to blend later on.
I recently finished smelting the rest of my wheel weights that I was able to get prior to them banning lead wheel weights here in CA. I have about 600-800 lbs of wheel weight ingots, 40 pounds of linotype ingots and 200 pounds of pure lead ingots. Should last me for a while.

imashooter2
10-13-2012, 11:12 PM
That's they way I like to do business myself. The temperature here dipped under 60 degrees today.

TheGrimReaper
10-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Man that is the kind of "SOUP" I like!!!

John in WI
10-14-2012, 04:47 PM
That is beautiful work! Literally, trash into treasure.

Do you shoot enough to warrant so much lead? Otherwise, you could turn a nice little profit. The going Fleabay price on range scrap ingots is around $1/lb. And I've heard reports of people buying "range scrap" and end up melting oatmeal instead.

Anyway--that is enough lead to keep you busy for a while.

aa1911
10-14-2012, 04:54 PM
nice!

I've been trying to save as much of my lead as I can but I don't have my own range really; I can shoot where I live but have one close neighbor with horses so I don't shoot much on my own land. I shoot in the national forest mostly, there's some rock pits that I can get about 10% of my lead back but most disappears into the dirt.

I'm down to about a hundred pounds or so of WW lead, I'm thinking of buying a barrel of reclaimed shot for bullet lead. ($16/25lb at a local range, 2k lbs in a barrel)

looks like you have a good stash there.

imashooter2
10-14-2012, 05:20 PM
That is beautiful work! Literally, trash into treasure.

Do you shoot enough to warrant so much lead? Otherwise, you could turn a nice little profit. The going Fleabay price on range scrap ingots is around $1/lb. And I've heard reports of people buying "range scrap" and end up melting oatmeal instead.

Anyway--that is enough lead to keep you busy for a while.

Enough on the shelf to take you to the hereafter should be every caster's goal. This is a little insurance for my stash. 8-)

imashooter2
10-14-2012, 05:32 PM
I was feeling the after effects when I woke up this morning, but figured what the heck, may as well get those WW too. Apparently, my mind is going as fast as my body. Those "3 buckets" turned out to be 3 partial buckets. Very sad when you consider that I don't even look for them anymore since content passed 50% steel and zinc. My total stash of clip on WW (plus 2% pewter) is sitting on those saw horses. 280 ingots. :cry:

http://www.imashooter2.com/pictures/lastww10-12-600.jpg

mold maker
10-14-2012, 06:24 PM
At 70, I shoot much less than I used to, and I'm sure I have more than a life time supply. To stop looking would be giving up. I'm determined my Son will never run out. He will have to be responsible for the next generation.