PDA

View Full Version : Another scoping Mosin Nagant question

Fly
10-13-2012, 11:05 AM
I know this question has been ask 1000 times.But I plan to scope one
of my Mosins.I plan on using the Brass Stacker pistol mount, so I can
change back if I chose to with out sportizing it for ever.

My qustion is there a pistol scope worth a **** under $100 out
there.Any input you guys can give please do.I don't want to piss
a bunch of money down the drain trying stuff I know nothing about.

Thanks Fly:coffee:

Gliden07
10-13-2012, 11:20 AM
I just put a NcStar SPB2732B with the Brass Stacker scope mount. Quality of scope looks pretty good but I can't confirm how it functions yet as I have not shot the gun with the scope yet? When I say "Just put on" I mean like in the last 10 min!! LOL!! Scope got GREAT reviews on Amazon but I do have my reservations! I just cant see spending 300plus dollars on a scope for a gun that cost me $125.00. As it is I have another 80 plus bucks in the mount and scope!!

Probably wont get to range till at least next week?

I'll Make Mine
10-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Generally, I'd think any scope made for handguns should be built to take the recoil and muzzle flip of .44 Magnum and .45 Colt hunting revolvers, as well as Contenders in various ridiculous chamberings, else the manufacturer would get many/most of them back on warranty. Nothing your Mosin Nagant is likely to do (assuming the mount is rigid on the dovetail) will come close to what a Contender chambered in .30-30 or .357 Herret will do (because the Mosin doesn't rotate the way a muzzle-flipping Contender will). With the NC Star 2-7x scopes selling under $50, they'd be my first choice to scout scope a Mosin (and will be, if I decide I want/need a scope before hunting season 2013).

Hamish
10-13-2012, 01:55 PM
"With the NC Star 2-7x scopes selling under $50, they'd be my first choice to scout scope a Mosin"

On the recommendation of another member that's what I put on a 91/30, so far I am very pleased. If your barrel has the integral dovetail the .22 size dovetail mount works very well.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ncstar-pistol-long-eye-relief-scope-2-7x32-pistol-scope-blue-ring-spb2732b.html

Dutchman
10-13-2012, 02:09 PM
I own a half dozen or so of the NcStar 2-7x32 scopes and so far I've not had any problems with any of them. They are steel tubes and do throw the balance off but most all my shooting anymore is from the bench so it's not a big deal. I pretty much use them set at 7x all the time. No complaints about optical quality. You could find them on ebay under $50 delivered but they now may be a few bucks over $50 delivered.

http://images31.fotki.com/v1084/photos/2/28344/6806565/DSCF1765k-vi.jpg

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-21-2012, 08:00 AM
What a fantastic way to take several old rifles, put scopes very affordably on them so an old man like me with aging eyes can see to shoot them. I love it! What's the scope mount of choice for most of these scope mounts?

Fly
10-21-2012, 10:42 AM
What a fantastic way to take several old rifles, put scopes very affordably on them so an old man like me with aging eyes can see to shoot them. I love it! What's the scope mount of choice for most of these scope mounts?

I looked & looked around.I came up with one of the best rock solid
mounts out there & cheap.It's a Accushot 1 INCH.Parts #RGPMOFS38-25H4

I bought off Amason for beleave it or not $13.It's machined billet AL &
it will not move beleave me on that.

Fly:holysheep

Pooch
10-21-2012, 02:27 PM
I bought an AIM LER for one of my Mosins & it wouldn't hold zero. Bought a Bushnell Trophy 2-6x32 and it works well. It's a little over $100.00 but worth it. The mount I used is one that I bought off ebay & it is billet aluminum. The ramp sight & spring are removed from the rear sight housing & the AL mount fits (tightly) into the housing. Once positioned it s drilled & pins put in. Rock, I mean rock solid! It was $40.00 & worth it. I wanted another but alas it's no longer on ebay.

Fly
10-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Pooch check out the one I posted above for $13.I know you will say NO WAY a $13
mount will work, but it does.You remove the stock sight.It slips on the stock dove tails
as most do.It has two horizonal screws that clamp it tight to the dove tail.BUT on top
it has two allen head set screws that screw in vertilcal to preload it to the barrel.

Whats even cooler is the lower part of the rings, are machined in to the mount.Guy's
I'm a retired tool & die maker & I know good stuff.I don't think there is anything
out there better for how ever much. http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Airgun-Profile-Integral-1-Inch/dp/B002TUSJRK/ref=sr_1_22?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1350849980&sr=1-22&keywords=accushot+rings

Fly ( PS these are billet Al also)

Fly
10-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Well I took this 91/30 out today to see how well it shoots.I had the plan of cutting it
down to make a carbine.Well after shooting this ole girl, I say NO WAY.This rifle
is a tack driver.

I mean it would have met sniper acceratecy.So I brought her home & striped her.
I worked the triger to about a 5lb pull.But I want a 3lb pull so more on that later.
I pine tared the laminet stock, but it will take a few days before I can say it's done.

I plan to take all the TERRIBLE machine marks from the metal.This gun was made
during the middle of WW11 & they hurryed these guns threw.But not this barrel
for how well it shoots.

I will post pic's before & after, for sure.This is a stage deal, & just for fun.But beleave
me this rifle will be a neat gun.

Fly