PDA

View Full Version : Noob with slug and oo buckshot wad questions.

Hounddog
10-13-2012, 01:23 AM
I have been reloading for my pistols for almost 2 yrs and recently acquired an old texan 12 ga reloader and would like to reload some lee 1oz slugs and oo buckshot for my remington 870. I have purchased and read through the latest lyman shotgun reloading manual but wasn't impressed with the slug reloading section.

My questions are:

If Winchester no longer makes the waa12r and waa12f114 wads and the claybuster replacements aren't any good with slugs, what wads will work in place of these two?

Looking at the following Hodgdon load info lists a wad consisting of [1-1.35" card+ 1-1/2" felt+ 1-.135"CA]. I assume that the 1 1.35" card is a nitro card, right? 1/2" felt is a no brainer. What does the other .135"CA stand for? Is it another nitro card? So do i stack card, felt, card like a sandwich?

Just gathering free hulls primers and powder right now. Haven't loaded any rounds yet. Have already cast some slugs and buck. Looking forward to exploding some pumpkins real soon.

Thanks,
Nic

35remington
10-13-2012, 01:44 AM
Needed:

The WAA12SL. The WAA12 can also work.
Red Dot Clays 700X or equivalent in 16 to 18 grain charges.
Tapered interior case

Relatively mild recoil, good for practice.

kullas
10-13-2012, 02:32 AM
I have had good luck with the claybusters pink wads. All of my recovered wads were intact and im getting good results. I am using Winchesters ranger hull, 17gr red dot and a lee cast slug. I use those hulls because i got alot of them. I use the same load even with shot i just add 1oz of shot in what ever size shot i use

Hounddog
10-18-2012, 10:23 PM
35remington, thanks for the advice. I loaded up some 1oz slugs in some winchester universal hulls and waa12 wads with 17gr and 18gr of red dot and they all shot great. Only thing i noticed was that the point of impact was about 4-5" above point of aim at about 50 feet. Was wondering if there was anything i could do to lower that or is that normal. Thanks for your help.

Hounddog

UNIQUEDOT
10-19-2012, 01:04 AM
Only thing i noticed was that the point of impact was about 4-5" above point of aim at about 50 feet. Was wondering if there was anything i could do to lower that or is that normal.

Use a slower burning powder to increase the velocity and it will lower your point of impact.

Hounddog
10-19-2012, 01:57 AM
Uniquedot, thanks amigo. I have yet to load up the full house 49gr bluedot gorilla loads yet, but look forward to it and some hs-6 loads.

Hounddog

UNIQUEDOT
10-19-2012, 06:10 PM
I have yet to load up the full house 49gr bluedot gorilla loads yet, but look forward to it

You probably won't be looking forward to a second range session with them! those loads are rough on the shoulder.