PDA

View Full Version : .17s???!!!

subsonic
10-12-2012, 10:41 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but has anybody ever tried making a mold and casting for a .17? The new .17 Hornet has caught my eye, and I am some sort of glutten for punishment I guess.

softpoint
10-14-2012, 02:28 PM
I get frustrated trying to get .22 cast bullets to perform the way I'd like, I guess I don't have enough patience, It seems like most combinations I try aren't what I was hoping for. Some fellows love casting for the little .22, though. I can imagine that the 17 would be a real challenge. Just getting an alloy to fill out that tiny cavity would be challenging. I suspect pure Lino might be OK. Shucks, the sprue hole on most molds is probably over .17! I don't know of anyone making molds for it , but I'm sure you could get someone to cut you one. Be interesting to see if you get it to work, though. I might try it if someone else got decent results. I ain't doing no paper patching, though:holysheep

subsonic
10-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Ever since I read PO Ackley's books as a kid, I've always wanted to play with a .17, but never have. Good point about the sprue hole!

softpoint
10-14-2012, 07:53 PM
I have a 17Fireball, just reloading it with jacketed bullets is a little different if you have never done it. Have to have a powder funnel with a small hole, I have a small hole adapter to use with the RCBS measure, but with anything other than ball powder, I weigh every charge. A little difference in charge weight makes a lot of difference in pressure and velocity in 17's They are lots of fun, though and can be very accurate. I've pinched my fingers a couple times trying to hold those tiny bullets to guide them into the seater die.![smilie=w:

timspawn
10-14-2012, 08:09 PM
I have a 17Fireball, just reloading it with jacketed bullets is a little different if you have never done it. Have to have a powder funnel with a small hole, I have a small hole adapter to use with the RCBS measure, but with anything other than ball powder, I weigh every charge. A little difference in charge weight makes a lot of difference in pressure and velocity in 17's They are lots of fun, though and can be very accurate. I've pinched my fingers a couple times trying to hold those tiny bullets to guide them into the seater die.![smilie=w:

There are seating dies available with a cut out in the side of the body that allows you to insert the bullet. No more pinched fingers!

softpoint
10-14-2012, 10:18 PM
There are seating dies available with a cut out in the side of the body that allows you to insert the bullet. No more pinched fingers!

And I'm going to check into that!:smile:

aa1911
10-14-2012, 10:22 PM
with as hard as .22's are to cast, I'm not messing with any .17, that's for sure!

but the .17 Hornet has me interested also, I can only imagine it's a (short range) powerhouse just comparing it to my HMR. The HMR is a pretty impressive round, curious if the hornet will retain it's inherant accuracy potential. My guess is yes.

but J*****d bullets will by the only thing I'd mess with in the little .17

starmac
10-14-2012, 11:55 PM
I have a question, it may sound dumb but here goes anyway. It has not been but a week or two since I read a post of a rumor that the 17 rem was slated to go away.
The question is what does the 17 fireball have over the 17 rem and what does the 17 hornet have over them both.

stubshaft
10-15-2012, 12:20 AM
The .17 Remington (4020fps) is the only cartridge that I have ever loaded where the weight of the powder exceeds the weight of the boolit. It is not a very efficient cartridge. IIRC - The .17 fireball was originally called the MKIV (3800 fps)and was a more efficient cartridge. I have the .17 Ackley Bee instead of the Hornet. Capacities are almost identical but I have a lot of bee brass leftover from my Mashburn Bee. I use 11.2 grs. of 2400 and get 3700fps with a 20 grain bullet in the Bee.

I got Ackleys books in the mid sixties and was enamored with the .17.

In answer to your original question, Veral Smith at LBT used to make a .177 mold. Even though I have been a fanatic over the .17 I have no compunction of ever trying to cast one. Not to mention that it would probably lead something fierce.

Blammer
10-15-2012, 12:33 AM
for the 17 I'd just swage 30 cal GC's.....

stubshaft
10-15-2012, 02:14 AM
for the 17 I'd just swage 30 cal GC's.....

Shoot Blammer, you could swage primers and make half jackets.:roll:

Ramslammer
10-24-2012, 05:00 PM
G'Day
I've owned over 12 .17s over the years. Rem, mach4's and hornets. The mach4 was the best and it's a bit different to the new Fireball (shoulder is 40 degress) but for me the Hornet is still most useful. I've owned 17 ackleys in martini's, Sako's, a very nice full wood Krico and a few BRNO's (or CZ as they are known now).
I've always sighted them in at 25m and aim straight at stuff out to 200. In ideal conditions with a head shot they can kill a deer as well.
Juddy

MT Gianni
10-24-2012, 06:54 PM
A long time ago, in a boolit board far away, there was a 17 cal pellet mold honcho'ed and made. IIRC, the name given was Pamela as it was wasp-waisted and big butted, reminding the old-feller of someone in his past. I did not buy one but the reports were it was terrible to get fill out with.

Reverend Al
02-11-2013, 08:12 PM
I have a 600 Remington that we re-barreled to .17 Remington when I was making regular trips to Alberta for gophers. Shot it about 1000 rounds and then we turned the barrel back (to freshen the throat a bit) and re-cut it to .17 Remington Ackley Improved. (Way longer case life!) I shot the barrel out and we replaced it with a new barrel in the .17 Remington Ackley Improved again and I haven't put 50 rounds through it yet (but will shoot it more). I can't IMAGINE casting bullets for that little bore ... it's enough fun just CLEANING it after shooting ...
I highly recommend the .17 bore guns, they are awesome ... but I'd stick with "J word" bullets ... sorry but that is must MHO ...