PDA

View Full Version : Military Surplus magazine

wallenba
10-12-2012, 09:05 PM
I was making the rounds of my local Dunhams sporting goods stores today, just scarfing up all the GP-11 I could get my hands on. At the counter while waiting in line I spotted a magazine in the stand, Military Surplus. I don't know if this a new one or not, but it said Premier Issue at the top. Normally I don't pay for mags, but this looked interesting, but pricey at $10. I finally did get it, and wow, they really covered a lot in this issue. Nice photos, not overly populated with ads.
The issue covered the M1, MN 91/30, 1903, M95, K31, M1 30 carbine, and a lot more, even military handguns. 130 pages. Has this mag been around? Maybe I've just been missing it.

And Gee...on the inside of the back page, a Mitchells Mausers ad says they have found a soviet wharehouse of originally manufactured, combat ready 91/30 sniper rifles! Really...?:roll:

bandit7.5
10-12-2012, 09:48 PM
I have that issue too. They don't come out often. I only have two others. Lots of information and excellent photos.

dnepr
10-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Found that mag too , really enjoyed it , hope they bring out more issues

Hardcast416taylor
10-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Mitchell`s Mausers has an "iffy" reputation and over pricing.Robert

halbautomatisch
10-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Mitchell`s Mausers has an "iffy" reputation and over pricing.Robert

You're probably being kind describing them "iffy". I wouldn't touch anything they reworked if you're looking for collectable milsurp.

If you want something that looks nice, but is not original, they're OK, just don't think anything they reworked is authentic.

leadman
10-22-2012, 02:52 AM
I bought that same magazine also. I noticed several glaring errors in it that the author should have known.
This magazine is produced the Harris Publications and not a Guns & Ammo published by Primedia.

Not saying it wasn't interesting, but not a G&A.

JeffinNZ
10-27-2012, 06:54 PM
A couple of copies of the Mil Surp magazine arrived with the hot sauce. Enjoying reading them. One copy even has some British content very relevant to those of us in the colonies.

Buckshot
10-28-2012, 02:10 AM
...............Those 'type' magazines have been coming out since at least the mid 90's. They were usually published by the outfit that published Gun and Ammo. I have 3 or 4 of'em. What was neat was that you could STILL buy what they were writting about darn cheap. I remember on photo of Ross Seyfreid sitting on top of a concrete shooting bench shooting a M1908 Brazilian DWM made 7x57 Mauser, and they were buy-able then at $89 :-) Heck, M96 Swedes were $96, and with a dealer's liscence Century could supply them by the boxcar load @ $59 each.

...............Buckshot