PDA

View Full Version : Problems ejecting brass from Ruger New Vaquero

ZigZagMarquis
10-12-2012, 07:53 PM
I figured I'd try posting this here before heading off to find a Ruger forum...

-----

I've got a Ruger New Vaquero that has problems when it comes to ejecting spent brass.

Most fired brass comes right out as it should after firing, but every few, I'll get one or two that takes a moderate amout of force to eject.

This is really annoying since I like reloading for .45 Colt.

Loaded rounds drop in just fine in to the Vaquero, but I also have a Winchester 94AE in .45 Colt and thought that maybe brass fired in the rifle wasn't getting resized well since I've read where the chamers of 94AE's can allow the base of the .45 Colt case to buldge down low where a resizing die cannot reach and I wasn't 100% sure I wasn't trying reloads in the Vaquero that has been fired in Winchester.

Anyway... So, I tired some brand new Rem cases and still have the problems with spent brass sticking in my Vaquero.

I was thinking of maybe trying some Star-line brass? OR maybe a different set of .45 Colt dies, but like I said, loaded rounds drop in just fine, its just when I go to eject spent rounds that they stick sometimes.

Thoughts?

waksupi
10-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Are you getting ALL of the lube off of the cases before firing?

shotman
10-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Welcome to Ruger. Last 4 I had I sent back. NO more rugers . First Redhawk in 454 had to send back with brass still in it . Second one was not much better. Sold it got a BH in 45 colt . had to drive brass out . Dumped it . Got a 30carbine and honed the cylinders to mirror. It works.Last Ruger I will have

ZigZagMarquis
10-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Wak,

I tend not to use lube when resizing .45 Colt, except maybe every 10th round or so, a bit of Hornady Unique Case Lube applied by finger, but good to know, I'll pay more attention to that.

Shot,

Yeah, more reading leads me to that conclusion too. That maybe some cylinder honing is in my Ruger's future... or... send it down the road and cough up the money for a Colt? :-| I HATE selling guns though... :(

I'll Make Mine
10-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Have you looked into the chambers with a strong light from the other end? This sounds a lot like there may be a bur or tool mark in one of the chambers. Alternately, have you checked that the gun is locking up correctly when cocked? If you have an occasional chamber misalignment, even just a few thousandths, it can push the pressure up enough to make extraction stiff (it'll also usually spit lead).

shooting on a shoestring
10-12-2012, 10:54 PM
I have a Stainless Steel BH in .45 Colt I bought new a couple of years ago. It was balky at letting me have my brass back when it was new. The loads were not hot, but the chambers were not smooth as a Smith. I kept shooting it, and it ejects w/o an attitude now. I've shot in the neighborhood of 2k rounds through it. Much better now than new.

44MAG#1
10-13-2012, 05:21 AM
I have a S&W Mountain gun in 45 Colt that a couple chambers would do the same thing on. The same two all the time. Had a burr on the edge of the chambers.
Rolled up some 600 grit wet or dry paper and twisted it a couple times and it took care of it with no fuss no muss.
Sometimes things are easy to fix without much to do.

ZigZagMarquis
10-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks all.

I also have found on other forums where folks suggest using JB Bore cleaning compound and a mop or patch wrapped around a brush on said cylinder chambers.

What do y'all think about that?

44man
10-13-2012, 01:38 PM
A little clean up might be needed.
But you did not explain loads. The new Vaquero is smaller like a Colt and can not take high pressures. Yet, it might be MUCH stronger then a Colt with the steel.
You should know if it is case expansion from pressure or a burr.
Chambers should never be dead smooth, they must grab brass to reduce head thrust.
If loads drop in and then stick with extraction, it is usually too much pressure.
It could be a rough spot but just clean it up, do NOT put a high polish in there.
What powder? What load? are you getting pressure excursions from powder? Primers?
Will the gun shoot factory loads with no problems?
I have seen some powders spike pressure and it is suspect here.

ZigZagMarquis
10-13-2012, 03:22 PM
A little clean up might be needed.
But you did not explain loads. The new Vaquero is smaller like a Colt and can not take high pressures. Yet, it might be MUCH stronger then a Colt with the steel.
You should know if it is case expansion from pressure or a burr.
Chambers should never be dead smooth, they must grab brass to reduce head thrust.
If loads drop in and then stick with extraction, it is usually too much pressure.
It could be a rough spot but just clean it up, do NOT put a high polish in there.
What powder? What load? are you getting pressure excursions from powder? Primers?
Will the gun shoot factory loads with no problems?
I have seen some powders spike pressure and it is suspect here.

I've had this problem since day - 1 with this gun.

First time out was with Remmington 250grn .45 Colt factory loads.

Have had the problem with reloads too:

This recipe for sure... 5.0 grains of Trail Boss under 250 grain Oregon Trail Laser Cast RNFPs

And with these too... I think or maybe not as much... sorry need to keep better notes:

4.5 grains of Trail Boss under 250 grain Oregon Trail Laser Cast RNFPs

6.9 grains of Unique under 250 grain Oregon Trail Laser Cast RNFPs

I've also tried:

4.9 grains of Bullseye under 250 grain Oregon Trail Laser Cast RNFPs and I think that presented the problem the least, if I'm remembering correctly, but I didn't like much looking into that big-assed 45 Colt case and seeing (what looked like) just an itty-bitty amount of Bullseye... that's when I went to Trail Boss.

Anyway, Whinchester Large Pistol Primers for all of the above reloads.

What do you think?

44MAG#1
10-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Is it the same chamber???????
If it is Then it is a Burr. 600 grit wet or dry paper a couple or three twists of it rolled up to fit snugly in chamber. Do not polish the chamber just enough to address the problem
Think. Do- problem solved.
If more intricate talk to Ruger or a local gunsmith.

44man
10-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Loads sound OK. It has to be a gun problem.
I would call Ruger, tell them you shoot factory loads and explain the problems. They will send you a prepaid box.
I like Rugers but they do screw up now and then.

Artful
10-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Is it the same chamber???????
If it is Then it is a Burr. 600 grit wet or dry paper a couple or three twists of it rolled up to fit snugly in chamber. Do not polish the chamber just enough to address the problem
Think. Do- problem solved.
If more intricate talk to Ruger or a local gunsmith.

+1

first mark the chambers and find out if it's same one(s) then go from there.