PDA

View Full Version : Pewter casting?

arawakstorm
10-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Greetings to all. Wondering if anyone has had any experience casting boolits using pewter? Still looking for good lead alternatives......

Shiloh
10-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Nope.

Way to valuable as an alloy metal for lead
I experimented once with linotype. Casts flawless, beatiful boolits. Went back into the stash for lino To valuable as an alloy for range lead.

Shiloh

H.Callahan
10-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Pewter is almost pure tin. If this is for grits and shins, then you can cast from tin. The diameter will probably be different and the finished castings will be lighter than nominal.

However, if you are just experiencing a shortage of lead but have a connection for pewter, try to trade it for lead! Tin is expensive relative to lead and you could certainly trade the tin for an even greater amount of lead.

Silvercreek Farmer
10-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Condor zone?

Per Veral Smith:

My choice would be to purchase a good sized lot of no lead plumbing solder and cast with it, straight. It is quite hard, casts like a dream, and is very affordable for a few hunting bullets. Carry your receipt with you in case one of the Nazi gun confiscation law enforcers gets you by the collar. I think it would back them down quite effectively as anilization isn't very expensive, and would really push your issue up their nose after presenting them with your receipt and stating that your alloy has no lead. In handgun bullets you will probably have a little problem getting full power from magnum revovlers, and bullets may expand a little, but they will not shatter, and penetration on any CA game will be excellent. In rifle loads, you'll easily get 2400 fps velocity if you use LBT bullet lube, and I seriously doubt that it would be possible to find a better or more reliable alloy so far as expansion and weight retention. Bullet cost will be around fifty cents each for 250 gr at the last price I paid. Expensive but very affordable to beat a dirty law.

Dirty law. To my knowledge CA has some of the most highly mineralized soil in the world. I know for a fact this is true of a vast area around death valley. If one were to have some of that soil analized he would probably find at least enough lead to make a box of ammo from every ton of dirt. I know of soil in western AZ, (Quartsite, Wickenburg area) and the same soil type goes continues all the way up to the Boise Valley in Idaho, where aluminum analizes as high as 400 pounds per ton, gold at a half oz, silver very high, and where there is silver there is lead, everywhere on earth.

Mal Paso
10-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Just don use a brass mold with high tin alloys unless you want a mold shaped paperweight.

Plumbing Solder is close to $30 now at the local wholesale plumbing supply. Rotometals has Pewter and Tin.

I'm smack in the middle of Condor Country. Were not supposed to encourage them but I was never one to throw raw meat around anyway. Were not supposed to approach them but why would you. Butt ugly, big as a man with claws and beak? No connection was ever proven between the birds and lead bullets and the illegal feeding of the birds by the Condor People with impunity just makes for hard feelings. F&G sneaks around in dark green or blue pickups. The insignia on the door is in black so you can't see it. I carry Copper Bullets when I'm down here. Hope I don't have to shoot something, would hate to soil the barrel.