PDA

View Full Version : "Trough"ing a Lee 6 Cavity

jim4065
06-01-2007, 03:30 PM
I finally used up enough of my "old stock" to where I dug out the new 20# Lee pot and a couple of 6 cavity molds.

Observation: Used Bullplate and then squirted mold release in the cavities. Seems like it should be Bullplate on the spruplate and pins, then maybe smoke the cavities. The mold release (Midway) seemed to wash off the Bullplate. It also doesn't seem to work as well as smoke.

Question: First time I've used a six cavity, and it took some getting used to. Seems like a trough connecting the sprue plate holes would help - especially when pouring the little 93 grain 32 boolits. Has anyone done this? Aluminum seems to gum up a grinding wheel pretty fast, but I could maybe use a die grinder and hold the work under a running faucet. Am I smoking rope? I don't mind screwing up a sprue cutter as a learning experience, but don't want to do it if there's a better way.

I think I'm in on 9 of these through group buys, and I might as well do it right.
As a crusty old cop I knew used to say "There's never time to do a job right, only time to do it twice." :roll:

SharpsShooter
06-01-2007, 04:56 PM
I just use Bullplate with all my 6 cavity Lees. So far I have not needed to smoke or spray. Clean them and with a good pre-heat, I get keepers on the second fill usually.

I also use a 20 pound lee bottom pour pot. I start my pour with the sprue opening closest to the handles and never stop the flow of lead until I have a generous puddle on the last hole. The cut sprues are usually one long piece that are easy to pick up with a gloved hand or pliers to drop back in the pot.

H & G did the trough idea and it worked fine. After casting over 10K boolits this winter with the Lee, I don't see the need for it with their moulds.

SS

kodiak1
06-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Jim if you want to grind aluminum got to your local welding shop and but a grinding wheel built for aluminum it will save you a ton of head aches.
I bought a used mould Lyman 2 Cavity for thge little 32'soff this website from one of the fellas and it came with a groove cut in the top of the sprue plate, it seem to work quite well.
Ken.

Bret4207
06-03-2007, 06:44 AM
Lee's sprue plates are steel, aren't they? Whats the aluminum issue?

SharpsShooter
06-03-2007, 07:31 AM

Afraid not. They are hardened aluminum. If they used steel, the cost would be close to 50-60 bucks.

SS

Bret4207
06-03-2007, 09:01 AM
We're talking the black sprue plates right? I never noticed they were aluminum. Huh.

SharpsShooter
06-03-2007, 12:07 PM
We're talking the black sprue plates right? I never noticed they were aluminum. Huh.

Yep. Ever notice they don't rust either. Just a better grade of aluminum is all. The black ones do have the appearance of steel.

SS

truckjohn
06-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Re: sprue cutter.....
What sort of aluminum alloy is magnetic?

Thanks

John

DLCTEX
06-03-2007, 01:40 PM
One and two hole Lee's have steel plates, the six hole ones have aluminum in current manufacture. Dale

SharpsShooter
06-03-2007, 03:52 PM

Dale is correct. The 1 and 2 cavity mould sprue plates are steel. The 6 bangers are aluminum alloy. The original question was related to the 6 cavity production mould and not the lesser cavity garden vareity.

SS

TAWILDCATT
06-03-2007, 06:13 PM
don't grind!!!go to machine shop or some one with brigeport.I did that to my 4 cavity lymans.I have to do that to my Lees as I have 5 six cavity.I did it to club lymans and saecos yrs ago.copyed idea from h&g as you said. use a ball mill right size.works great.I just found you are right about alum plate.you can tell the smaller molds are steel by the bend in them.:coffee: :coffee: :Fire:

quasi
06-10-2007, 06:13 PM
I have cut a groove in one of my 6 cavities with a die grinder and carbide bit. It was much harder to do than my Lyman and RCBS molds. I find these grooves work very well for casting. The down side is I seem to get much less for them on Ebay then unmodified moulds, when I am selling one.

jim4065
06-10-2007, 09:30 PM
I have cut a groove in one of my 6 cavities with a die grinder and carbide bit. It was much harder to do than my Lyman and RCBS molds. I find these grooves work very well for casting. The down side is I seem to get much less for them on Ebay then unmodified moulds, when I am selling one.

Did you consider replacing the sprue cutter with a stock version? I imagine they are available from Lee as a replacement part.

I'd like to hear (or see) more about the one you grooved. Can you elaborate on why it was so hard?

Jim