PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Wilson Primer Pocket Reamer

novalty
10-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Just started to load .223 for my Mini-14, and see that I now have a bunch of military cases that need the crimp removed from the primer pocket. I already have a Wilson Case trimmer, and am wondering if their primer pocket reamer works as good as the trimmer? Anyone have experience with them....good....bad?

r6487
10-16-2012, 11:05 PM
the lyman (large and small) are on a wooden handle. the bits will thread off and fit in a drill. i swage 1000 brass then have drill mounted stationary on table and run each case onto reamer. It cuts the bottom of the pocket nice and square so on a progressive I don't get crunchy primer seating from narrow primer pocket bottoms.

Reg
10-16-2012, 11:08 PM
If Wilson makes it, I bet it works and works well.

HARRYMPOPE
10-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Yes i use them in my Wilson and like them very much.its just not fast as a PP swager though.

novalty
10-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the responses. I am not entirely concerned about the speed, as I don't shoot too tremendously much. More concerned about quality of the product. I know I am extremely happy with my L.E. Wilson case trimmer with micrometer. Guess another order is in store with MidwayUSA.

bbqncigars
10-17-2012, 10:22 PM
It's the only one I use on .50BMG milsurp. I've tried all the others, and the Wilson leaves a nice smooth radius on the leading edge of the pocket. Now all my primers seat perfectly. FWIW, the power adapter that replaces the handle is worth the money if you have more than a few cases to do.

Kydaddy
01-31-2013, 11:10 PM
I have three. The small, large, and 50bmg. They make a beautiful perfect pocket. Nothing better

novalty
02-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Well I have one on order with Grafs, which means I might receive it sometime this month. Guess I should just be happy only expected to be 1 month before shipping instead of a 6+ weeks.

If your ordered . . . . . .Expect it to ship

Jan. 6 - Jan. 12 --------------------- Feb. 4 – Feb. 8
Jan. 13 - Jan. 19 ------------------- Feb. 11 - Feb. 15
Jan. 20 – Jan. 26 --------------------- Feb. 18 - Feb. 22
Jan. 27 to Feb. 2 --------------------- Feb. 25 – March 1

walltube
02-01-2013, 11:47 AM
I have and use Wilson large & small rifle primer crimp reamers. Wilson tools are very hard steel and thus are chucked into a cordless drill that is clamped into a wood-worker's vice. Works a charm for me. No problem (yet) ruining the threaded portion of the reamer because of the quality hardened steel. A Sinclair primer pocket depth reamer follows the Wilson treatment. The Sinclair is carbide. A finishing touch is removing the rough metal that surrounds the flash hole within the case.

Good luck,
Wt.

mikeyd23
02-01-2013, 04:47 PM
I use the RCBS Swager works well for me.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235832/rcbs-primer-pocket-swager-combo-2

45fisher
02-01-2013, 05:28 PM

I use the RCBS swager also...but read the directions first or you will end up with a bent rod...lucky me I called RCBS told them what I did/didn't do and they sent me a new rod.

lightman
02-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Mine works great, but I chuck in in a cordless drill. Lightman

Olevern
02-03-2013, 01:09 PM

I also use the RCBS primer pocket swager, it is much quicker than the Wilson and works fine if your goal is to remove the crimp.
The Wilson and others of this ilk are also intended to uniform the depth of the pocket for reasons of match grade accuracy (read benchrest case prep). If the primer pockets are uniform depth and the bottoms square you will get more uniform ignition of the primer, therefore a (miniscule) improvement in accuracy.

All that to say, unless you have a platform that is capable of benchrest accuracy it is a lot of extra work for little or no gain.

RCBS primer pocket swagger works great.

midnight
02-03-2013, 01:39 PM
I got hooked on the Wilson case trimmer when I needed to remove the crimp from a bunch of Lake City 50BMG brass. It is the best tool I have ever used for that purpose. It is a little more expensive due to all the case holders needed. Solved that problem by buying a whole box full of dies and stuff from a guy. Turned out it had about a dozen Wilson case holders & he didn't know what they were. I did.

Bob

A Vickerman seater too!!

walltube
02-03-2013, 01:49 PM
"If the primer pockets are uniform depth and the bottoms square you will get more uniform ignition of the primer, therefore a (miniscule) improvement in accuracy."

I need every "(miniscule) improvement" I can get my hands on....... :bigsmyl2:

Be of good cheer,
Wt.

novalty
02-04-2013, 09:37 AM
If the primer pockets are uniform depth and the bottoms square you will get more uniform ignition of the primer, therefore a (miniscule) improvement in accuracy.

Miniscule accuracy. So you've seen me shoot then.

Fluxed
02-11-2013, 03:26 PM
I also use the RCBS primer pocket swager, it is much quicker than the Wilson and works fine if your goal is to remove the crimp.
The Wilson and others of this ilk are also intended to uniform the depth of the pocket for reasons of match grade accuracy (read benchrest case prep). If the primer pockets are uniform depth and the bottoms square you will get more uniform ignition of the primer, therefore a (miniscule) improvement in accuracy.

All that to say, unless you have a platform that is capable of benchrest accuracy it is a lot of extra work for little or no gain.

RCBS primer pocket swagger works great.

Mostly right.
But, the Wilson reamer does not cut the bottom of the pocket, it just cuts a nice radius on the outer edge pocket while removing the crimp. It stops on the bottom of the pocket but does not cut there. I have both a swager and the Wilson cutter and for most uses I like the Wilson.