PDA

View Full Version : Anybody like the Browning BLR?

FergusonTO35
10-12-2012, 09:38 AM
My dad has a Browning BLR in .308 WCF. This week I put a new scope and some Leupold mounts on it for him. Examining this gun, I think I could be satisfied with it if I only had to pick one hunting rifle. It is lightweight and points like a shotgun, and the .308 cartridge will allow you to reach pretty far out there. The BLR has the same lively feel in your hands as the Marlin 336 and Winchester 94. It would be no special trick to load the .308 with .30 WCF level cast boolit loads for shooting on the range or deer in the woods, or load it strong for bigger game and longer ranges. The rotary bolt head and ratcheting action mechanism appear to be very simple and strong.

I think I'm going to have to pick one of these up sometime, mebbe in 7mm-08. Anybody else like the BLR?

Guesser
10-12-2012, 10:06 AM
My favorite 243 in a 1991 vintage BLR-81. It gets used more than any of my other 6mm's.

rexherring
10-12-2012, 10:42 AM
My brother has one in .243 and is a very smooth accurate gun. My Brother-in-law has one in .450 Marlin for bear hunting in Canada. It's a real whomper and shoots great.

32ideal
10-12-2012, 10:46 AM
The older pre BLR-81 short barrel/carbine model in 358 Winchester is one of the best 150yd woods rifles made, plus it shoots most of the 38 handgun bullets out to 75-100yds with accuracy.
32ideal

429421Cowboy
10-12-2012, 11:40 AM
I have a BLR-81 .243 that my dad gave to me when i was just starting to shoot centerfire rifle, and later became the first rifle i ever reloaded for as well.
Used to have a Williams rear sight close to the eye back on the rear scope base, just recently i put a 3-9 on her and got her ready for anther 100k miles! My dad made some amazing shots with it when he was younger, it is just a darn accurate rifle that almost "wants" to hit where you're looking. I never have had a rifle that points as nice or is as easy to pack all day. I carried it constantly until i finally got a pistol on foot, saddle, pickup or 4wheeler, because it is so light and rugged with the iron sights on it. Because of that it seemed to be the gun i always used when i really need a rifle, and it has never let me down.
So yes, you could say i like the BLR! I will give up a couple rounds in the mag tube to be able to use little pointy bullets out of the box mag (yes, jacketed..) and the accuracy and strength of the rotating lockup is clear. I am particulaly interested in one in a short magnum or a bigger caliber in the .308 range.
I also have a plan someday to make a cutdown handgun version in .243 or 7mm/08, sort of an upgrade from a Contender in that you'd have a repeater then.

MT Gianni
10-12-2012, 02:26 PM
I have a pre-81 in 308 and it is my favorite. I have a newer one in 358 Win that works well also. My 308 has killed moose to jackrabbits and shot the 113 Lee cast to the 180 gr j-words with out any complaints from me. If you get one get more magazines than you think you will need as replacement on some are hard to find and none of them are inexpensive. I always thought I wanted a 284 in one but I think it would have been too much powder room for a 20" bbl.

Raygun
10-12-2012, 05:18 PM
The older BLR-81 short barrel/carbine model in 358 Winchester is one of the best 150yd woods rifles made, plus it shoots most of the 38 handgun bullets out to 75-100yds with accuracy.
32ideal

I had one of these early BLR's in 358 Winchester (all steel receiver) and loved it. One thing I remember, it was not punishing on the shoulder like some short barreled 308 bolt rifles.

UBER7MM
10-12-2012, 07:30 PM
I can't speak to the BLR, however you'll be happy with the 7mm08. 308 cases are a little shy of the 7mm08 full length, but you can neck them down and make them work in a pinch. The BLR in a 7mm08 sounds like a good combination.

Good shooting,

5shotbfr
10-12-2012, 07:57 PM
i had one in 7-08 was a good solid shooter no complaints .

however do not ever buy one that someone disasembled and couldnt get back together .

you need a engineering phd to get the things back together

Raygun
10-12-2012, 10:31 PM
If I remember right, the Browning BLR lever mechanism is rack and pinion.

Guesser
10-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Very definitely "R&P", and must be timed when reassembled. Not obvious to the casual observer. Can be assembled and will fire without bolt being locked completely into battery as when the rotary bolt head doesn't fully rotate into full lock. Just a caution to anyone completely disassembling; experience speaking!!!!

FergusonTO35
10-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Woah, I'll have to remember that. I sighted in the BLR today, it shoots great.

wv109323
10-13-2012, 08:01 PM
I have one of the early Japanese BLR's in .308 Win. It is a fine rifle but I have never tried Boolits in it yet. I would prefer the .358 Win for cast Boolits.
Be careful with the early ones as the magazines are non existent. I saw an early magazine go for $240.00 on E-bay recently.
A LGS has an early rifle in .243 Win. for $799.00 which is a little overpriced in my book.

legend
10-13-2012, 08:43 PM
No. i dont.

Geobru
10-14-2012, 02:21 AM
I have a 308 japanese made BLR. Its the most accurate gun that I own. It is a great woods gun. As was said, it points and handles quickly. Mine has accounted for 90% of the deer and all of the elk I have killed

FergusonTO35
10-14-2012, 02:43 AM
That's the only thing I don't care for on the BLR is the magazine. It's expensive to replace and just seems like it would be easy to lose. I think Browning should have gone with a fixed rotary mag like the Savage 99.

bearcove
10-14-2012, 11:49 AM
I don't like the idea of NOT being able to take it apart. Or I guess, NOT being able to put it back together! How do you clean it? For a hunting rifle I want to be able to clean the action in the woods 'cause, I tend to get dirty, And all the stuff with me does too.

A rag with a few tools and my Marlins are apart and cleanable.

Rory McCanuck
10-14-2012, 01:52 PM
I don't like the idea of NOT being able to take it apart. Or I guess, NOT being able to put it back together! How do you clean it? For a hunting rifle I want to be able to clean the action in the woods 'cause, I tend to get dirty, And all the stuff with me does too.

A rag with a few tools and my Marlins are apart and cleanable.

They now make a takedown version. With the barrel off, I imagine it would
be easy to clean the bolt face and run a patch through the barrel from breech
to muzzle.
I've kinda been lusting after one in 7/08 or 260 as a whitetail rifle.
I think the 260s are very hard to find.

Antietamgw
10-16-2012, 12:08 AM
I have had much the same thought, a BLR in 7-08 or .308 would make a fast handling package with accuracy and punch. I have a BLR-81 in .358 that I like an awful lot. With a Leupold 1X4 with heavy duplex reticle, I've used it for deer and black bear and like the way it handles. If you have a little mechanical ability, you can take it apart and reassemble it with little trouble. Not as simple as the Marlin but not a deal breaker either. It does use a rack and pinion system and you need to have the gear, rack and lever timed and in the proper position during reassembly. If off by a tooth, the lever may not close though the bolt has locked or the lever may close and leave the bolt not completely locked. No sweat, just advance the gear a tooth and try again. Most of the BLR's I've handled needed trigger work BADLY. My ..358 had a trigger I couldn't measure with my guage but had to be 12 or 15 lbs. It was useless from field positions and real hard to shoot from the bench. I do my own gun work so this wasn't that big a deal but I've heard some gunsmiths won't work on them. Actually, the darn trigger return spring was a big part of the trouble - it probably was a 10 lb spring! My biggest concern with the BLR is Browning's lack of support for parts. Try to find parts for the BLR - almost non-existant. I haven't checked for BLR81 parts lately but suspect it will be the same. Forget about Browning for anything but current production parts. I believe they sold the "obsolete" parts to Midwest Gun Parts. Give them a call, ask for a BLR hammer, sear, gear or something you would not want to have to make. Bet you won't be happy about the experience. If it were not for the parts availability problem, we would have 5 BLR's and 1 Marlin rather than the other way around.

MT Gianni
10-16-2012, 12:26 AM
I clean mine with a coated range rod. I open the lever, run a patch down, remove it and repeat.
The magazines are expensive but as Montana Elk and Deer seasons are concurrent you can load one with 150 gr and the other with 180 or 165 and hunt. Swap out a magazine when you see game.

blackhawk44
10-16-2012, 03:01 AM
My BLR and two BLR81's are not for sale. I have carried my .308 since 1974. I picked up my .223 and .257 in the early 1980's. All are one inch guns. Any good gunsmith can clean up the triggers. I'm still looking to sneak up on a steel framed .358.

FergusonTO35
10-17-2012, 09:21 AM
BLR in .257- yummy!!

pricedo
04-08-2013, 10:27 PM
I have 2 BLR takedown "blue" models .......1 in 308 Win & the other in 450 Marlin.
Love the quality of the finish & fit and the smooth as a mountain lake actions on both guns.

W.R.Buchanan
04-09-2013, 03:05 PM
This is one gun that has been on my list for along time. I want a strait gripped takedown, and I would take a .243, .308, or a .358.. I have only seen one or two for sale ever, and they weren't in a caliber I wanted.

Hopefully one will show up some day.

Randy

dakota
04-19-2013, 07:05 AM
The older pre BLR-81 short barrel/carbine model in 358 Winchester is one of the best 150yd woods rifles made, plus it shoots most of the 38 handgun bullets out to 75-100yds with accuracy.
32ideal

I have one of these in 358 -- I mounted a scope on it. I think I'd feel comfortable in shooting 250 yards with it. My favorite load is 200 gr Hornady. But I have a few pistol 357 moulds and when I get time...

pricedo
04-20-2013, 07:17 AM
No silly lawyer tang safeties or rebounding hammer on the Browning BLR '81 to get you killed if a bear charges.........just the old style half cock safety.
Both the modern Winchester 94 & the Browning BLR are made by Miroku of Japan for FN/Winchester/Browning.
The half cock safety and one-piece linkage hammer are considered safe on the BLR yet the current 94s apparently need a tang safety and a rebounding hammer.......go figure??
YEP !......I like the BLRs ........they're great guns.

dg31872
04-20-2013, 08:47 AM
I have a BLR81 in 223 and it is my go to rifle. I keep it at the front of the gun safe. It's the best ranch rifle I've ever had. It'll do the job if I do mine.

Ruber
04-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Yep, hard to beat a BLR in .308. A quick handling woods gun, but accurate out beyond 200 yards with time.

My wife bought me a Belgian one in .308 for my first Father's day several years ago. I can see where the Miroku ones can be better guns, but I'm not letting that one go.

Speedo66
04-20-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm always amazed how accurate my Belgium version in .308 is with that thin pencil barrel. Also love the apparent lack of recoil, don't know why, just is.

I use it as a woods gun, and love how light and easy to carry it is.

Only have one magazine for it, and worry about problems/loss, but haven't come across another mag for sale.

part_timer
04-23-2013, 08:27 PM
My oldest has a newer model in 358 and likes it a lot. I'm contemplating getting one myself

pricedo
04-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Yep, hard to beat a BLR in .308. A quick handling woods gun, but accurate out beyond 200 yards with time.

My wife bought me a Belgian one in .308 for my first Father's day several years ago. I can see where the Miroku ones can be better guns, but I'm not letting that one go.

As far as shooting goes I don't know but there's nothing to match the lustrous rich bluing of the Belgium Browning BARs & BLRs made in Japan.

FergusonTO35
04-30-2013, 02:59 PM
I didn't know BLR's were ever made in Belgium...

Speedo66
04-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Yeah, the early ones with the non-flush magazines that are impossible to come by.

In my head I know the Japanese models are as good or better, but for me Browning=Belgium.

pmeisel
04-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I had a 243 BLR and really liked it. I wasn't shooting it much for awhile and traded it on a shotgun. I have always regretted that.

Ruber
04-30-2013, 10:52 PM
As far as shooting goes I don't know but there's nothing to match the lustrous rich bluing of the Belgium Browning BARs & BLRs made in Japan.

Yep!

For me, the best group I've ever shot was my Miroku BLR in .308, my second best is from a Belgian BAR in 7mm with some handloads I worked up just for it, and third best from a M1 (again with handloads).

So ya, those Japanese guns are pretty sweet and hold their own for sure, but I still have a soft spot for those Belgian ones.

dakota
05-01-2013, 10:04 AM
BTW, I clean mine primarily with a bore snake as I like to do with any rifle that I have difficulty cleaning from the chamber end. Of course smaller diameters are not so easy to clean with bore snakes, but the 358 is a piece of cake.

pricedo
05-06-2013, 05:27 AM
Yeah, the early ones with the non-flush magazines that are impossible to come by.

In my head I know the Japanese models are as good or better, but for me Browning=Belgium.

Japan cannot (or at least hasn't yet) match the lustrous, rich bluing of those Belgium Brownings...........both the BARs & the BLRs.
Sure loved the looks of those things.........almost like sex pulling a new Belgium Browning out of the box for the first time.

pricedo
05-06-2013, 05:34 AM
BTW, I clean mine primarily with a bore snake as I like to do with any rifle that I have difficulty cleaning from the chamber end. Of course smaller diameters are not so easy to clean with bore snakes, but the 358 is a piece of cake.

My BLRs are Takedown models but I clean them from the breech end with pull through cleaners ...........mostly Bore Snakes.
The rods are hard on crowns and rifling......especially the cheap aluminum ones when they pick up microscopic silica particles.
I've seen so many muzzle crowns destroyed by careless & improper cleaning rod use.
I keep a rod handy for removing barrel obstructions ONLY.

pricedo
05-06-2013, 05:47 AM
My BLR in 450 Marlin shoots amazing groups with the factory Hornady 350 grain FP ammo as does my BLR in 308 Winchester with the factory Nosler Custom 165 grain Accubond ammo.

Factory ammo back when I started reloading in the 70s was nowhere near where it is now in regards to selection or quality.

From the 70s til the late 90s I hand loaded about 90% of my hunting ammo.

Now I hand load about 50% of my hunting ammo.

pricedo
05-07-2013, 06:40 AM
That's the only thing I don't care for on the BLR is the magazine. It's expensive to replace and just seems like it would be easy to lose. I think Browning should have gone with a fixed rotary mag like the Savage 99.

I bought 3 extra magazines for each when I bought my 2 x "gold trigger" (Miroku) BLR Takedown rifles.
With 4 mags each I should be good for the rest of my days in case at some point in time magazines get scarce and the gougers start charging a fortune for them.

pricedo
05-07-2013, 06:47 AM
I'm always amazed how accurate my Belgium version in .308 is with that thin pencil barrel. Also love the apparent lack of recoil, don't know why, just is.

I use it as a woods gun, and love how light and easy to carry it is.

Only have one magazine for it, and worry about problems/loss, but haven't come across another mag for sale.

That's because the Browning BLRs recoil pad (Pachmayr) unlike the "tire patch" on my Guide Guns actually reduces recoil.

joepb
05-07-2013, 09:26 AM
My 358 is my main elk gun and I am looking at a 223 now.

Shuz
05-08-2013, 02:35 AM
NO! I don't like my pre-81 BLR in .358 Winchester, and it will be for sale on my table at the June gun show in Spokane unless I get a good offer here.--Shuz

pricedo
05-08-2013, 07:39 AM
NO! I don't like my pre-81 BLR in .358 Winchester, and it will be for sale on my table at the June gun show in Spokane unless I get a good offer here.--Shuz

What's the matter with it?

pricedo
05-08-2013, 09:02 AM

It's Art's Gun and Sports Shop in MO that modifies the modern Miroku BLR magazines
to fit the older BLRs.

Shuz
05-08-2013, 06:08 PM
What's the matter with it?

There is a discussion on the problems in the "Gunsmithing tips and tricks" sub forum on this board. Basically, a good friend and I both have the same problem with magazines not feeding properly. He has a total of 4 magazines that don't work properly and I have one. We are meeting tomorrow in Spokane and comparing mags interchangability etc. We'll keep you all posted on what we find.

6pt-sika
05-08-2013, 07:04 PM
The original BLR's with the straight stock and barrel bands I always thought were butt ugly ! And they felt kinda like a club in my hands .

Later they brought the model out with the round knob PG and the schnable forend and no barrel bands and chambered them for the WSM line of catridges . I had it in my head I wanted a pair in 270 WSM and 325 WSM . And at the time I think dealer cost on new ones was about $800 . Anyway I saw a used one on a dealers rack one day with a Leupold 3-9 on top which was pretty much the way I would have scoped it . Anyway the gun still felt not good in my hands so that ended me wanting two of them !

Shuz
05-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Well I got the feeding problem solved. I just gotta work the lever "smartly" and not slowly and it feeds fine. I shot the rifle on 5/11/13 and got a lousy pattern of about 8" at 50 meters with the 280g Old West HP of 283g. Velocity with 36g of H-4198 was 2113 fps. The boolit was heat treated to Bhn 22. I'm thinking this rifle must have a 1:16 twist. Shooting with the RCBS 35-200 also heat treated to Bhn 22, gave 2.6" 5 shot groups at both 50 meters and 100 yds. Velocity on those was 1849fps with 23g of 2400.
I guess if I keep this rifle I will use the RCBS 35-200.

dsol
05-24-2013, 07:11 AM
A takedown BLR in 308 with a barrel mounted "scout" style scope setup is on my short list of firearms to still purchase. I have pretty much what I need, now am in the cool to have or fun to shoot stage of my life.

I like takedown guns for some reason. I have a Marlin Papoose, Stevens 620 12 gauge and Keltec Sub2k (paired with a Glock 17). All of those can fit in my green tanker tool bag. Toss in extra magazines for the G17/Sub2k, and a couple of boxes of 00 buck, a couple of 100 round boxes of CCI and I have a considerable amount of short range firepower I can grab and toss in the back of my truck. The BLR in 308 would round out that bag for something capable of longer range. I already have an FAL with plenty of surplus 308, so the BLR would be a natural addition.

I am getting my Papoose barrel threaded for my newly acquired supressor (that I won last year, tax stamp and all included). Was thinking if the BLR barrel could be threaded, of purchasing a good 9mm supressor for the Sub2k that could also double on the BLR with handloaded subsonic ammo. Just a thought...

My thoughts are starting to get expensive... I started casting to be able to afford to shoot more with my son. That didnt work, now we shoot more but any money saved seems to go to more funstuff.

bear67
05-24-2013, 10:30 AM
I picked up a '93 BLR 81 in 308 and I love it. I have only shot it with factory or J-word loads so far as I still have to work up a cast load for it. Need to pick up a mold in 150 to 170 g as the 30 cal molds I have are 110 and 180-220 g.

I am still kicking my rear end regularly as a local pawn shop had a BLR in .257 Roberts advertised in the local classified paper and I did not immediately get buy to look at it. As I have been shooting and loading the 25 bob for 55 years, I would have bought it unless it looked like it had been used for a hammer.

With J bullets, my Browning shoots like a dream. My 15 year old grandson killed a buck with it this year in a TPWD draw hunt. He really likes lever guns, so this is the one he chose.

pricedo
05-25-2013, 04:38 PM
I must have a "thing" for takedowns to.
Just dumped $1400 + change for a Winchester 94 Trails End takedown in 450 Marlin as a running mate for my BLR takedown in the same caliber.
Real slick rifle.
I'm going to top it off with a Leupold light weight 2-7x28mm scope which comes in at 2" shorter & 4 ounces lighter than the Leupold "Rifleman" 2-7x33mm scope I usually mount on my leverguns.
The rifle itself (empty) weighs 6 pounds 12 oz.
I'm going to use Warne QD rings so I can access the pretty decent iron sights if tracking a bear in heavy brush.

yooper
05-25-2013, 07:28 PM
At a gun show several years ago I had a Savage 99 on my table. A fellow came by with a Belgian BLR .243 and wanted my Savage in the worst way. I really didn't want his Browning and turned the deal down. He came by several times and kept after me. Finally my table partner said if I didn't make the trade with the guy, he was going to buy my Savage and do the deal himself. Well, the guy came by again and offered me a nice sum to boot so I made the trade. The Browning was in gorgeous condition, but I just never warmed to it and sold it later on an Internet auction. Made a decent buck on it, but I wish now I had it back even though it never really caught my fancy. One of the few guns I've sold that I later regretted selling. Most guys that have them REALLY love them.
yooper

Shuz
05-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Well, since I have 2 ea Rem 700's in .35 Whelen, I've decided to sell or trade off my pre-81 BLR in .358 Winchester. It will be on my table at the next gun show in Spokane,Wa. on June 8 and 9.

Canuck Bob
05-26-2013, 11:34 AM
I had an earlier 81 model in .243. I liked the rifle more but not the caliber. The trigger wasn't perfect but not too heavy. It was accurate and a joy to carry.

TXGunNut
05-26-2013, 01:52 PM
I enjoy looking at them but for some reason every time I pick one up I put it back down. Just as well, too shiny for a hunting rifle anyway.

starmac
05-26-2013, 02:30 PM
I enjoy looking at them but for some reason every time I pick one up I put it back down. Just as well, too shiny for a hunting rifle anyway.

I think the shine is what always put me off. The ones I've shot were accurate enough, handled nice, I am a lever kind of guy, but I've never had the desire to own one.

pricedo
05-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Yup........too shiny !
Better get rid of my Winchester 94 Trails End as well as my two BLRs cause they're too damn SHINY !

starmac
05-27-2013, 05:47 AM
OK maybe it isn't the shine, it may just be that I owned a savage first. lol

TXGunNut
05-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Don't get me wrong; I've always liked BLR's, even like the way they look. From what I understand aboout their mechanicals I bet I'd even like the way they shoot. For some reason I just can't bring myself to take one home. I guess I'm just hung up on Winchesters and Marlins.

pricedo
05-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Don't get me wrong; I've always liked BLR's, even like the way they look. From what I understand aboout their mechanicals I bet I'd even like the way they shoot. For some reason I just can't bring myself to take one home. I guess I'm just hung up on Winchesters and Marlins.

Thank you for your candor.
Stating a personal preference for another brand or style of firearm is much better than parroting some mythical BLR problem like the "BLR locking lever" fable I've heard spun a few times.
I've shot BLRs both Belgian & Japanese in sub-zero weather in the far north and near arctic of Canada and never had a lever lock-up even though the skin on my hands was freezing.
Lever problems in cold weather come from over lubricating with the wrong lubricant.
I think the "locking lever" problem is only experienced by people who have never held a BLR in their hands in their lives let alone fired one.
It's perfectly legitimate to prefer a particular brand or action of firearm and say so.

TXGunNut
05-28-2013, 10:42 PM
It's perfectly legitimate to prefer a particular brand or action of firearm and say so. -pricedo

Well, that's somewhat accurate. I'm among friends here so I'll admit that I'm somewhat of a gun nut... our secret, OK? It's true that I prefer some over others but I can't seem to find one I don't like. There are some, like the BLR, that I simply haven't gotten around to owning yet.

starmac
05-28-2013, 11:48 PM
OK TXGunNut, When you gonna get you one of them mossberg tacticool levers??? lol

Speedo66
05-29-2013, 08:20 AM

I guess the deer near me wear sunglasses, the shine doesn't seem to bother them. I've taken more deer with my Belgium .308 than with any other rifle I've owned.

Truthfully, the only problem I ever had was using a military primer. Hammer fall during cold winter hunt with a lubed gun failed to ignite primer. Deer stayed and watched me while I thumbed the hammer back a second time, and it then went bang. A little deer Darwinism. ;>)

ammohead
05-29-2013, 01:54 PM
I need a hammer spur/extension for Jane's 81 in 257 Rbts. Not sure where to get one.

starmac
05-29-2013, 02:15 PM
I guess the deer near me wear sunglasses, the shine doesn't seem to bother them. I've taken more deer with my Belgium .308 than with any other rifle I've owned.

Truthfully, the only problem I ever had was using a military primer. Hammer fall during cold winter hunt with a lubed gun failed to ignite primer. Deer stayed and watched me while I thumbed the hammer back a second time, and it then went bang. A little deer Darwinism. ;>)

LOL The deer don't put up the bucks (dollars) for them. I personally don't care for the shiny guns, it is just a personal preference thing.

Speedo66
05-29-2013, 06:14 PM
I need a hammer spur/extension for Jane's 81 in 257 Rbts. Not sure where to get one.

This Uncle Mikes chart on Optics Planet shows a model for the 81 http://www.opticsplanet.com/uncle-mike-s-hammer-extensions-for-a-better-grip.html

Also here on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncle-Mikes-Hammer-Extension-Browning-BLR-Lever-Rifle-1981-1991-2457-0-/271136142243?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f20f933a3

TXGunNut
05-29-2013, 10:22 PM
OK TXGunNut, When you gonna get you one of them mossberg tacticool levers??? lol

Can't rule that out, sometimes I need a good laugh. ;-) OTOH I have a bad weather bolt gun, that would be a good starting place for a rough weather/conditions levergun.

starmac
05-30-2013, 04:08 AM
LOL I bought a bad weather 22 lr (canoe,fourwheeler,snowmachine, truck gun) I only took it out a couple times, just didn't like the plastic stock. lol
I too bought a bad weather bolt gun, plastic and stainless, just have not had bad enough weather to take it out in public yet. lol

MT Gianni
05-31-2013, 12:10 AM

There are two hammers in the blr's. The wider one that I have, I had to file the opening wider to make it fit.

TXGunNut
05-31-2013, 12:51 AM
I too bought a bad weather bolt gun, plastic and stainless, just have not had bad enough weather to take it out in public yet. lol -starmac

My bad weather bolt gun is actually a pretty awesome rifle. I bought it from a friend when his mom & pop gun shop was closing down. It's a Ruger 77 .30-06, stainless and composite. After adding a Timney trigger and a decent scope it became the sleeper in my gun safe. It comes to shoulder better than most rifles, it likes the same load that my Winchester Super Grade likes and I can uncase it under the worst conditions and not worry about how it looks or if it will perform. It goes on every hunting trip these days as a backup/bad weather gun. I can loan it to anyone in camp if they have a rifle failure and not worry about it. It's a better gun than I or most hunters deserve but it seldom sees the light of day.

starmac
05-31-2013, 02:11 AM
There is nothing at all wrong with mine, it is a left handed savage 116. It just doesn't get to play much as I have other things to play with that is easier on my shoulder. lol

larryp
05-31-2013, 09:14 AM
I love my BLR in .308. I've killed several deer, coyotes and foxes with it. It's my go to rifle when I absolutely have kill something.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/lwrnc1963/coyote002.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lwrnc1963/media/coyote002.jpg.html)

Elkins45
06-23-2013, 10:23 PM
I just picked up a new one in 358 from Buds. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet but I sure like the way it feels in my hands.

Report to follow, hopefully soon.

Ruber
06-23-2013, 10:54 PM
I just worked up some 170 gr sillohuette loads for my 308 BLR and had a blast this past weekend!

Really slick and fun to shoot with those lighter cast loads.

Have Fun!

dragon813gt
06-23-2013, 11:02 PM
I look for one in 257 Roberts weekly. They're there but I've never pulled the trigger on buying one. Found one tonight at the right price and it might be time to add one to the collection.

Shuz
06-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Well, since I have 2 ea Rem 700's in .35 Whelen, I've decided to sell or trade off my pre-81 BLR in .358 Winchester. It will be on my table at the next gun show in Spokane,Wa. on June 8 and 9.

UPDATE: I wasn't able to sell or trade my BLR at the last gun show, so I figgered I'd have some more fun with it. I found a load of 22g of 2400, WLR primer, and a heat treated RCBS 35-200FN shot extremely well at 100 yds. 5 shot stats were: ES 10,ave vel 1805,and an SD of 3. Group size was a little over an inch at 100 yds which I thought was great for such a light gun with only a 4X scope.
I'd still sell or trade this gun off with the scope and mounts for $695.00 if anyone is interested.