PDA

View Full Version : Annealing temperature for boolits?

imashooter2
06-01-2007, 01:56 PM
I have some water dropped boolits that I'd like to soften up for an experiment. My thoughts are 1 hour at 400 degrees in the toaster oven, then turn the oven off and let the boolits cool inside. Will that leave them soft?

Fireball 57
06-01-2007, 11:57 PM
While not knowing the makeup of your CB's, reheating them just about that temperature and let them air cool should do the trick. Watch 'em carefully so they don't start to sag or lose shape. Also, make sure the pan used in the oven is completely void of moisture or you will have problems! Good luck!

JeffinNZ
06-02-2007, 01:29 AM
Is this not the same as bullets coming out of the mould and air cooling?

imashooter2
06-02-2007, 06:30 AM
Is this not the same as bullets coming out of the mould and air cooling?

Yes, it's just that I have a bunch already cast and it'd be easier to anneal some of what I already have than to cast up fresh.

imashooter2
06-02-2007, 06:32 AM
While not knowing the makeup of your CB's, reheating them just about that temperature and let them air cool should do the trick. Watch 'em carefully so they don't start to sag or lose shape. Also, make sure the pan used in the oven is completely void of moisture or you will have problems! Good luck!

They're cast of range scrap, so I don't know the alloy content either.:) Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a go.

Winger Ed.
06-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Will that leave them soft?

It should, the folks who are real 'retentive'** would probably recomend you put one or two bullets of the batch in the oven, and slowly raise the temp. a few degrees at a time, giving it time to stabilize until the bullet 'slumps', or begins to melt.

Then, lower the temp. about 40-50 degrees, and go on with your project like you'd planned.

These are the ones that come after me for some of my ways of doing things-
with torches and pitchforks, like the villagers did in 'Frankenstein' when the monster went and got into mischief.

imashooter2
06-02-2007, 06:37 PM
I'll let you know in a couple hours. Headed down to turn the oven off now.

imashooter2
06-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Worked fine. They scratch easily with a thumbnail that just glances off the water dropped examples.

John Boy
06-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Shooter, remember that slumped bullets will harden 2-4 Bhn's over a period of time. Usually in 2 weeks to a month

imashooter2
06-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Shooter, remember that slumped bullets will harden 2-4 Bhn's over a period of time. Usually in 2 weeks to a month

Well, I'm hoping these will be gone before then.:)

Good info though. Thanks!